Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Err, what?
    "Now that I have shown this is not a question that is up for debate (and it never was)"

I don't even know what you're talking about as you can barely string a sentence together. You admit yourself that your writing style and grammar is very poor, and it makes it difficult to follow your ideas. There's nothing here that's not up for debate. However, I don't care to "debate" with you as you're not making any interesting points and you can't even reply coherently to my posts, so I'm not going to bother any more.

Btw a collection of papers is not always a journal and I wonder what you're studying if you think that professors always agree with each other. Professors arguing different angles on things only puts "there" reputation at risk if they do it badly. They don't just agree with each just to save face... Plenty of professors have differing academic opinions and if you don't even accept that then I despair.

You honestly seem to have no idea what you're talking about at all and have poor general knowledge, reading comprehension, written English and analytical skills.

I can't be bothered with you, so I'm out of here. I'm genuinely concerned for you as you won't get far in life with your winning combination of stupidity and arrogance.
    I will simplify it for you as your ability to grasp the English language is obviously lacking.

It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'.

Did you follow that, or do I need to come over and hold your hand for you and give you a step by step guide?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Go back to the OP and read the bottom line.
    I read the OP in its entirety. The bottom line contradicts the generalization you made at the beginning. :confused:

Please tone down the hostility and contempt a bit, or else this thread will most likely end in another flame war. The current topic is already incendiary enough as it is. Also please don't edit the OP every time there's a new development in the debate, it leads to unneeded confusion.
    regards

ReputationRep:
    I do personally have quite good general knowledge and always have, but I do know many girls who just aren't aware of anything that goes on.

Then again, I also know many boys who have an equal lack of general knowledge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)
    I read the OP in its entirety. The bottom line contradicts the generalization you made at the beginning. :confused:

Please tone down the hostility and contempt a bit, or else this thread will most likely end in another flame war. The current topic is already incendiary enough as it is. Also please don't edit the OP every time there's a new development in the debate, it leads to unneeded confusion.
    regards
    Yeah, you need to go back and re-read the evidence as it does not contradict what I said, but it reinforces it...

Also, I have only added the evidence to it, which is not going to be confusing for anyone as I just tell them to check it out if they missed it. It saves me reposting the same link a million times over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glowy Amoeba)

regards
    I'm afraid he does need to edit it again because I'm the girl who apparently 'didn't know what 9/11 was all about'. His thread is based lies.

ReputationRep:
    "Germans know extremely little about economics and three quarters don't even have a full grasp of how percentages work, a new study has found."

"Knowledge about economic issues rose with age and income. Men performed clearly better than women."

http://www.thelocal.de/money/20101213-31779.html

ReputationRep:
    I will simplify it for you as your ability to grasp the English language is obviously lacking.

It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'.

Did you follow that, or do I need to come over and hold your hand for you and give you a step by step guide?
    Why are you insulting their inability to use English when you titled the thread "Girls lack general knowledge?", which is a lazy way of saying 'DO girls lack general knowledge', and then saying "It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'"?
    Your "proof" is a German article, but as I'm sure you know that isn't really adequate in terms of proof. Apart from that your evidence is entirely anecdotal, and in addition, rather than structuring your original post as a question asked out of interest or curiosity, it reads as an attack on the intelligence of all females.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    Why are you insulting their inability to use English when you titled the thread "Girls lack general knowledge?", which is a lazy way of saying 'DO girls lack general knowledge', and then saying "It is not a question of 'DO girls lack general knowledge', but 'WHY do they lack general knowledge'"?
    Your "proof" is a German article, but as I'm sure you know that isn't really adequate in terms of proof. Apart from that your evidence is entirely anecdotal, and in addition, rather than structuring your original post as a question asked out of interest or curiosity, it reads as an attack on the intelligence of all females.
    Well originally I left the question open ended. Did girls lack general knowledge, and if so why. However with the evidence being put forth, this very much changed that question to 'why'.

Also, that 'article' is a summary of a research paper by a professor, and that paper was published, therefore if that is not solid evidence, then what on earth is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizlaz350)
    I do personally have quite good general knowledge and always have, but I do know many girls who just aren't aware of anything that goes on.

Then again, I also know many boys who have an equal lack of general knowledge.
    Does it matter if they don't? Are people too silly to accept that others are different from them?

ReputationRep:
    Well originally I left the question open ended. Did girls lack general knowledge, and if so why. However with the evidence being put forth, this very much changed that question to 'why'.

Also, that 'article' is a summary of a research paper by a professor, and that paper was published, therefore if that is not solid evidence, then what on earth is?
    As I'm sure you know, since you stated that you go to a good university, one paper is not enough; there is probably one somewhere which says exactly the opposite. I wouldn't describe the question as being "open ended" and the way you phrased it made it sound very biased. Also, I'm sure that you know from writing essays that you never references newspaper articles if you want to be taken seriously, and should instead go for the original paper (even on TSR, since someone will try and pick you apart somehow anyway). Admittedly I'm rubbish at that sort of thing because I can't be bothered, but a quick google search shows that you might have been better off using this as "proof": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6&searchtype=a
    But even then, you're unlikely to win friends since the way you write makes you comes across as sexist and biased.
    Good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    Does it matter if they don't? Are people too silly to accept that others are different from them?
    You just worry for someone who doesn't even know things like who the prime minister is. And when you're half way through your 20th Century Germany history course and someone asks who Hitler is, it makes you start to despair.

They can be as different from me as they like but I don't want to have conversations with people that stupid.

ReputationRep:
    OP is right, most women these days are really dumb. Alot of guys are too, but it seems the majority of them are women.

However, coming onto a student forum about this isnt the best idea.

ReputationRep:
    You just worry for someone who doesn't even know things like who the prime minister is. And when you're half way through your 20th Century Germany history course and someone asks who Hitler is, it makes you start to despair.

They can be as different from me as they like but I don't want to have conversations with people that stupid.
    then don't. why have conversations with people you don't get on with?

ReputationRep:
    then don't. why have conversations with people you don't get on with?
    tbh, I don't know what the point of your replies are. All I was stating in my first post was that I knew plenty of girls without any general knowledge. It's not like I stated an opinion in that post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    As I'm sure you know, since you stated that you go to a good university, one paper is not enough; there is probably one somewhere which says exactly the opposite. I wouldn't describe the question as being "open ended" and the way you phrased it made it sound very biased. Also, I'm sure that you know from writing essays that you never references newspaper articles if you want to be taken seriously, and should instead go for the original paper (even on TSR, since someone will try and pick you apart somehow anyway). Admittedly I'm rubbish at that sort of thing because I can't be bothered, but a quick google search shows that you might have been better off using this as "proof": http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6&searchtype=a
    But even then, you're unlikely to win friends since the way you write makes you comes across as sexist and biased.
    Good day.
    The thing is, not many papers will be done on this topic for a few good reasons and the only people who will pursue this research will be due to their own interest.
    The explanation for this is quite simple. Who wants to fund someone to prove that women have a lower general knowledge as this would only brand them as sexist, even in the face of conclusive results (as this thread has shown), and secondly, what is to be gained from saying women have a lower general knowledge? This is why I just went for that article referencing the paper, but yes, I do see your point and even though I do not mean to be biased, I do have a tenancy to come across that way.

ReputationRep:
    tbh, I don't know what the point of your replies are. All I was stating in my first post was that I knew plenty of girls without any general knowledge. It's not like I stated an opinion in that post.
    My opinion is that this thread is *******s, and that the he and you are dim to even worry about what others know and don't know.

ReputationRep:
    My opinion is that this thread is *******s, and that the he and you are dim to even worry about what others know and don't know.
    It was merely an observation. Which I balanced out by stating that I knew many boys with an equal lack of general knowledge.

If we need to stop worrying about what others know and don't know, then all the wannabe teachers on here should stop bothering. It is something that does need worrying about. What does it say about the state of our society if people don't even know simple things?

ReputationRep:
    Boys are mean.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, not many papers will be done on this topic for a few good reasons and the only people who will pursue this research will be due to their own interest.
    The explanation for this is quite simple. Who wants to fund someone to prove that women have a lower general knowledge as this would only brand them as sexist, even in the face of conclusive results (as this thread has shown), and secondly, what is to be gained from saying women have a lower general knowledge? This is why I just went for that article referencing the paper, but yes, I do see your point and even though I do not mean to be biased, I do have a tenancy to come across that way.
    I would disagree and say that the key to this is a balanced argument. For example, you started the thread by saying women can't do general knowledge. The paper I gave you said that women get lower scores in certain things but higher scores in others eg Family. In the discussion you could then discuss whether this is due to how our brains are wired or if it's due to our upbringing and perceived social roles. That wouldn't be sexist. Also there are many papers about the differences in gender, I don't see how the topic of general knowledge would be any different.
    As for coming across as biased... surely you realise??

ReputationRep:
    It was merely an observation. Which I balanced out by stating that I knew many boys with an equal lack of general knowledge.

If we need to stop worrying about what others know and don't know, then all the wannabe teachers on here should stop bothering. It is something that does need worrying about. What does it say about the state of our society if people don't even know simple things?
    I couldn't care less. I think the OP and all people like him are fools, since people are different. Some people are more vapid/shallow, and people also value knowledge differently. Not everybody has equal knowledge in every area either, and interests are subjective. I don't see how meeting vapid women (which is just one of many personality types of females nay human beings in the world) causes anybody any specific or great harm or distress.

Your comment on teachers make no sense, since persons always need to be taught skills, in whatever area/facet of life.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.