Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i usually get one main present (e.g. an ipod) and about 10 smaller ones to open (e.g. books, dvds, clothes, etc) from my parents...
    i don't think it really matters "how many" you get compared to other people if i'm honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foldingstars45)
    i usually get one main present (e.g. an ipod) and about 10 smaller ones to open (e.g. books, dvds, clothes, etc) from my parents...
    i don't think it really matters "how many" you get compared to other people if i'm honest.
    This, exactly.
    I don't count my presents but as I've grown up I've noticed my sister's gradually getting many more than me (she's 11), because the presents I tend to get (perfume, etc) are more expensive than the kind of things she gets (games, etc). I love watching her open her presents though :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Exactly. If I have children in the future, I know i'll buy about the same. I don't see anything wrong with parents spoiling their kids. They probably enjoy it to be fair!
    And me! I mean, my parents can spend their money how they want. It irritates me when people are like "omg so spoilt and materialistic!" We're not hurting anyone, and as long as we appreciate what our parents do, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

ReputationRep:
    Usually about eight to ten, maybe one or two of those will be 'big' presents then the rest just like books and DVDs and stuff.

It's my birthday on the 27th and I get about the same for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HotCoco.)
    Lol 30 - 40? Exaggeration much? You'd be there all day unwrapping those things.
    Um, takes about an hour :confused: and that's with my Gran layering them in cellotape :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    :rofl: that's what I came here to post!

OP, even 10 presents sounds like a lot!! Though, wait... do you include stockings? My mum insists on making me one still and in that there is ALWAYS 2 nectarines, a magazine, a bag of chocolate coins, a Freddo, a Flump, some kind of mini puzzle thing, some socks and probably some other junky stuff. So that's about 10 presents in one thing :P
    I don't include stockings no. My Grandma fills my stocking for me

I don't think there's anything wrong with someone getting 1 or 50 gifts to be honest. I was just curious :dontknow: don't know why people are getting so offended!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    What have you got him? Genuinely intrigued, I'm finding it hard to think of 1 present for my dad, let alone 30-40!
    Erm, testing my memory here......

- About 8 blu-rays
    - Maybe about 5 dvds
    - A shirt
    - 3 aftershave gift sets
    - This old fashioned telephone he's been after
    - Possible 5/6 cds
    - He has £50 in a card
    - Then he has chocolates, chocolate thorntons Santa, and then this giant box filled with thorntons chocolate bars and things like that (you wouldn't think he's 9 stone)
    - Dressing gown
    - 2 pairs of slippers
    - A ps3 game
    - Chocolate Liquors
    - Bottle of Baileys
    - Bottle of Whisky
    - I think he has 12 cans of deodrants and 12 body washes in a gift bag (to get him through the year) ........I only count this is 1 gift though, not individually.

This is not including his stocking. I can't remember everything to be honest, I did my wrapping in like October I believe. I'm pretty sure he'll be chuffed though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quail)
    I've never counted and never will! I'd feel awful if I came into a room and found someone counting the things I'd bought them

My brother and I are very lucky though. We appreciate everything we're given and I'm always so grateful for what I receive. This year I wanted to spoil my mum a bit, so I've been really careful with my student loan in order to sort of 'repay' her a bit for everything. I feel guilty getting her something small when she goes to so much effort for me and my brother, so this year I thought, I'm 19, I'm living on my own, so I took responsibility for the gift-buying for myself and my brother and bought her a top, perfume (which came with SO many nice little extras), a DVD boxset, nice winter pyjamas and a torque from eBay. She'll be horrified when she sees it all and will tell me I've been silly, but I'm quite a savvy shopper and know how to spot a bargain

Oh my, bit of a lifestory. In summary: NO IDEA but to be honest, I wouldn't mind at all if I only got one. It's not really about that, and besides, I prefer buying presents for others than receiving them (genuinely).
    I've counted them one year! And i've already explained why. And I know on average I usually get there because the pile on the settee is never changing, it's always around about the same.

I too enjoy buying and giving presents. Hence as to why I buy so much for my Dad

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    That's pretty amazing!

Usually I pick one 'big present'..this year it was a colour printer to print out images for my research book other years it's been money towards a new laptop, a CD player, etc.

Aside from that they usually get me a few DVDs, clothes, CDs or books which I've asked for.

I tend to get more than some of my friends since I'm an only child..not a bad deal really!

ReputationRep:
    About 8 or so. No "main presents" like iPods or whatever, just bits and bobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salty_candy)
    also, everyone calling OP spoilt or whatever, are probably jealous and therefore more materialistic than they'd like you to believe. The girl clearly thinks the world of her dad and i think it's sweet they like to give each other that much. stop hating, it's Christmas time
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieDoughLove)
    Erm, testing my memory here......

- About 8 blu-rays
    - Maybe about 5 dvds
    - A shirt
    - 3 aftershave gift sets
    - This old fashioned telephone he's been after
    - Possible 5/6 cds
    - He has £50 in a card
    - Then he has chocolates, chocolate thorntons Santa, and then this giant box filled with thorntons chocolate bars and things like that (you wouldn't think he's 9 stone)
    - Dressing gown
    - 2 pairs of slippers
    - A ps3 game
    - Chocolate Liquors
    - Bottle of Baileys
    - Bottle of Whisky
    - I think he has 12 cans of deodrants and 12 body washes in a gift bag (to get him through the year) ........I only count this is 1 gift though, not individually.

This is not including his stocking. I can't remember everything to be honest, I did my wrapping in like October I believe. I'm pretty sure he'll be chuffed though
    B.O. much?!

ReputationRep:
    Usually one from my Stepdad (he buys expensive presents), 5 or 6 from my Mum, a quite big bag from my Aunt and Uncle and stocking fillers.

ReputationRep:
    Usually one or two small things I could have done without (I suppose its about the gesture though :])... Getting nothing this year, so we're running on pure...-shudder- Christmas spirit.

ReputationRep:
    I'm difficult to buy for so they just gave me a cheque for £800 instead so I could find something myself.

ReputationRep:
    My parents certainly aren't poor, but I probably get about 7 gifts from parents? We tend to either get a mixture of books and DVDs or sometimes one big item and then a couple of books. And then one/occasionally two presents from siblings. Plus one present from nan. We don't get stockings or anything like that.
    We'd never get anything like a new computer o.0 or an ipad, or a phone or...anything. Maybe a contribution towards it....
    For my 21st birthday I got £250 - which I asked to be spent on pearl earrings and perfume. It'd make no sense for me to get something worth £600 or more [based on the price of my laptop] for a random christmas!
    If people want to spend money that's fine, but I'm afraid OP it's certainly not the norm...

ReputationRep:
    Normally about 10-12 small things, but my brother gets 1 big thing and four small things. To be honest, I have no idea how my parents would be able to think of enough ideas to give me thirty - forty presents....

ReputationRep:
    Usually around 10 miscellaneous items such as DVDs, books, clothes(I don't really buy clothes[just doesn't interest me] so most of my wardrobe is composed of Christmas and Birthday presents :P, etc.) and then one big present.
    I think it'll change as I get older. I feel quite guilty really when I get so much, 'cause it's not like my parents are rich, or I'm an only child. I'm grateful though.
    EMZ=]

ReputationRep:
    I usually get a few little things 5-7, usually stuff I need and a main one. Ha.:p:
    The amount has gone down a lot since I was little But it's the thought that counts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.