Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catsss)
    Sorry for butting in, but this is very true.
    Yeah, I exaggerate, of course, but it's pretty much what I noticed with Americans in Norway. I'm sure it doesn't apply to all though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Einheri)
    Wasn't that what I said? "Du er ei søt jente" means you are a pretty/cute/sweet girl, and "Jeg elsker deg" means I love you. I just wrote it into Norwegian not Swedish.
    Yeah, I got confused by the beginning of your post. Are you studying both bokmål and nynorsk, by the way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tenhornedbeast)
    Yeah, I got confused by the beginning of your post. Are you studying both bokmål and nynorsk, by the way?
    I pick up bokmål along the way, but only really study and write nynorsk and I try to speak my grandmother's dialect as best as I can. I prefer nynorsk because a) that's what I've been taught originally (well, a slightly older form, but I write modern nynorsk as best as possible), b) it's closer to old Norse which I love, c) I'm unashamedly a linguistic purist. I'm more intensely studying modern Icelandic and Old Norse at the moment and so for now Norwegian has taken a back seat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luceria)
    http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/06/17/k...ents_container

They're streaming hurtigruten live. Peaceful and beautiful.. Though it does get boring after a little while.

www.hurtigruten.com/live
    They should really change its name to Langsomruten.

ReputationRep:
    I just saw it was on TV. Decided to give it a miss :p:

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone ever go to Sjøfartsmuseet on Bygdøy? It's quite interesting in general, and there is a film they show which is, I think, about 20 minutes long and shows Norway's entire coastline and shows the people and places as they were in the past and in the present. It's quite fascinating, similar to a trip on Hurtigruta I'd imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Never been to Bygdøy, so nope. It looks like fun being on "hurtigruten".. I've watched a few interesting scenes. And it's so beautiful at nighttime.
    So you've never seen the viking ships there!? :eek: I went maybe six or seven times, and I have posters of the Oseberg and Gokstad ships in my room (yeah that's kind of lame, haha).

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Bygdøy several times, but have only ever been to the Folkemuseum! Need to take a look at the viking ships one day. My bf's parents have been on Hurtigruten - they sailed up the coast then flew back down for one of their anniversaries. They said it was amazing and want to do it again but the other way round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    I've been to Bygdøy several times, but have only ever been to the Folkemuseum! Need to take a look at the viking ships one day. My bf's parents have been on Hurtigruten - they sailed up the coast then flew back down for one of their anniversaries. They said it was amazing and want to do it again but the other way round!
    That is a very good museum, I especially liked the stave church there - beautiful! It's well worth a visit or seven, there are three (well, two and a half) ships there and all the contents of them; it's fascinating stuff. Yeah, I wanted to take a trip on it too but it was sooo expensive maybe one day when I'm richer.

ReputationRep:
    That is a very good museum, I especially liked the stave church there - beautiful! It's well worth a visit or seven, there are three (well, two and a half) ships there and all the contents of them; it's fascinating stuff. Yeah, I wanted to take a trip on it too but it was sooo expensive maybe one day when I'm richer.
    Yeah the church is wicked. I've seen the one at Gol, but not the one Luceria posted.
    Actually just checked wikipedia and apparently the one in the museum is the original Gol one, and the one there now is a replica!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly, no. I've been to Oslo once. Because of a Muse gig. Didn't have time to be all touristy. Except visiting the Opera building ,etc.

Ever been to Røldal? There is a very nice stave church there.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Røldal_stave_church
    Ah, okay.

No, but now I want to. That's really awesome, and it looks really unique - almost modern. Hmm, wikipedia says that they think it was made by an earlier technique than stave churches which I guess means it's a post church? If so then that's really awesome, and very rare (infact I've never heard of any still existing).

(Original post by Becca)
    Yeah the church is wicked. I've seen the one at Gol, but not the one Luceria posted.
    Actually just checked wikipedia and apparently the one in the museum is the original Gol one, and the one there now is a replica!
    I think they did the same with all of the buildings in Det Norske Folkemuseet, which is really quite an amazing feat in itself. I bet the people of Gol were a bit pissed off about it though.

Also, the new official anthem of NorSoc: :teehee:

• TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Does anybody know what kind of clothes you'd need for a winter in Finnmark and if they're expensive? There doesn't seem to be much information in English on the Folkehøgskole website I'm looking at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samual)
    Does anybody know what kind of clothes you'd need for a winter in Finnmark and if they're expensive? There doesn't seem to be much information in English on the Folkehøgskole website I'm looking at.
    Definitely get merino wool underwear (long sleeved top and long johns). Wool socks, a good down jacket, preferably waterproof, good winter boots. You might want some waterproof trousers as well. It says the average temp in winter is minus 10, which isn't too bad. On the extra cold days just wear more layers! Layers ftw!
    Can't help you with prices, I got my down jacket in a sale in Norway (2000NOK)...if you want to buy stuff in England I suggest going to a good outdoors shop. I'm lucky and am from the Lake District so if it was me shopping I'd drive to Keswick and raid all the walking shops there, don't know if you have a town like that near you?

ReputationRep:
    Any decent outdoors shop should be able to hook you up with all the things you'd need.

The minimum you need is woolen/thick socks, nice and thick winter coat/jacket, some gloves, a hat and winter boots.

Did anyone ever go to Sjøfartsmuseet on Bygdøy? It's quite interesting in general, and there is a film they show which is, I think, about 20 minutes long and shows Norway's entire coastline and shows the people and places as they were in the past and in the present. It's quite fascinating, similar to a trip on Hurtigruta I'd imagine.
    I went there with my school YEARS ago, but mainly to see Fram and Kon-Tiki. Personally I found it quite boring.

Foreigners might find the viking museum the most interesting of the bunch of museums in that area, I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    Foreigners might find the viking museum the most interesting of the bunch of museums in that area, I reckon.
    Yeah, that really is a fantastic museum even though it's small. Det Norske Folkemuseet is really quite good too.

That is .......terrible.
    Yep. The music video is even worse than the actual singing, which is saying a lot.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that really is a fantastic museum even though it's small. Det Norske Folkemuseet is really quite good too.
    I love the folkemueseet. Outdoor museums ftw, like Beamish or the Black Country Museum

ReputationRep:
    I loved the Ashmolean museum in Oxford, Pitts River Museum (Oxford) and Oxford University Museum of Natural History. One of the things I love about England. Loads of great museums etc etc.. Never been to a great museum here.

Haven't visited any museums in London yet, which sucks. I love museums!
    I've been to the Science Museum in London once - my girlfriend wanted to go there for her birthday.

It was quite enjoyable. The newer 'rooms' downstairs were clearly the most interesting. A lot of the stuff upstairs was really old and kinda boring tbh.

Free entrance is a huge bonus, and it's really easy to get to from the tube.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like sh*t from the outside, that's the only thing I know about Tate Modern.

ReputationRep:
    I loved the Ashmolean museum in Oxford, Pitts River Museum (Oxford) and Oxford University Museum of Natural History. One of the things I love about England. Loads of great museums etc etc.. Never been to a great museum here.

Haven't visited any museums in London yet, which sucks. I love museums!
    The British Museum is great, if you ever get the chance. Also, if you ever do find yourself in Oslo and feel like being touristy then the Norwegian National Museum is incredible - they must have a hundred Viking swords on display there and so many gold and silver artifacts, I was amazed at how much they had.

ReputationRep:
    Nice. Tate Modern sounds interesting, but that's an art gallery. Not that I'm extremely into art, but I'd like to visit.
    I've been, I wouldn't bother with it personally - it's mostly crap that takes zero skill.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.