Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dyhtps)
    How did I not think of the kite? and I'm sure our teacher has said that physical journies are symbolic of spirtual/personal ones before :yes:

As an aside, just found my posts in a thread back from June for this very exam. I somehow managed to predict the section B, Great Gatsby and Auden questions correctly about 3 days before the exam, yet I still ****ed it up
    haha yeah, I predicted Endings to come up in section B. Result: D. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greengables)
    I'm doing The Kite Runner, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, Rossetti and the Ancient Mariner.
    your doing two modern novels? :/ thats strange
    dont know if thats a good or bad thing but i always found there was more to say about the older texts

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing enduring love for section B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneInSolidarity)
    haha yeah, I predicted Endings to come up in section B. Result: D. :cool:
    Second time lucky :yep:

My hand is hurting with the amount I've written today :sad: Going to spend tomorrow doing practice questions and tonight finishing off making notes for potential questions that could come up..

Struggling of anything to put for structural patterning in The Great Gatsby aside from the mirroring of the two parties and two visits to new york..

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, just found my posts in a thread back from June for this very exam. I somehow managed to predict the section B, Great Gatsby and Auden questions correctly about 3 days before the exam, yet I still ****ed it up
    Do it again! Do it again!

EDIT: Not **** up, obviously, but predict XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    Do it again! Do it again!

EDIT: Not **** up, obviously, but predict XD
    This time I have no idea :emo:

ReputationRep:
    This time I have no idea :emo:
    WELL ):<

ReputationRep:
    i did this exam last year and got a high A
    when i was revising for it i was sure i would fail due to the "randomness of the questions" but seriously the key to getting a good grade is knowing the assessment objectives for each question, you could write the most amazing essay and still get a terrible grade just because you didn't follow the objectives so as follows
    part 1 section A is focused on AO2 which is language, form and structure shaping meaning into the text
    i did the ancient mariner for this and the question is the same every year except the part changes example: how does coleridge tell the story in part 3 of the rime.
    you basically need to pick out the major theme in this part and tell the examiner how coleridge writes about punishment in this part
    (dont tell him the story, he already knows this) example
    coleridge tells the story in ballad form in part 6 of the mariner which produces an exciting and engaging narrative. this is an effective technique as the purpose of the text is to portray a moral message, a warning to the reader who is represented by the wedding guest. (that can be an intro for any part btw)
    when picking out language techniques write about how they tell the story for example Coleridge' personification of the sun as "broad" and "glorious" reflect the images of god and his association with "blood" with the sun suggest that god is angry at the sailors which amplifies the extent of the mariners sin as well as forshadowing the death of the sailors.
    evaluation earns you major points so throw a bit of that in too as in "this is effective in telling the story in part 3 because...)

thats part Aa

part Ab using AO 1, 3 and 4 which is
    1. forming an argument in relation to the question
    3.interpretation
    4.context

this is how you should set it out

intro (try and make a point in this bit and DONT BABBLE ON)
    one side of your argument
    other side of your argument
    conclusion

this section is really just testing your ability to make valid points in relation to your text and also independent thinking so make sure you don't throw in everything your teacher has dictated to you
    the examiners want to hear originality! trust me they're probably getting sick of people talking about how the bear in kite runner represents communism (its so boring)

in terms of context (make sure its relevant, nobody cares that coleridge was a drug addict)
    context is VERY important and there are several types you can use
    1. biographical
    2. Literary
    3. social
    4. historical

section B

this is basically 3 different essays about 3 different texts (so stupid) for this bit you don't need AO4(context)
    you need to be able to form an argument, talk about how language, form and structure shape meaning into the text and also use interpretation (Marxist and feminist interpretations can be helpful)
    this exam is odd as it doesn't ask for comparisons however it seems the best candidates make relevant links anyhow (don't make comparisons for the sake of it, its a waste of time)

finally a 5 minute plan goes a long way as it keeps you focused as does referring back to the question throughout your answer
    hope this helps good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esachica)
    WELL ):<
    Although my gut instinct is saying destinations or symbolism for section B :p:

The chapters for kite runner/gatsby could really be any of them :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Some notes for chapter 1 Enduring Love (my prediction for part Ai)

Spoiler:
    Show

Chapter 1
    ‘The beginning is simple to mark. This was the moment, this was the pinpoint on the time map’.
    -Short sharp sentences. Raises intensity, alludes to fast paced action
    - draws the reader in, creates tension as they want to know what ‘the moment’ is.
    -creates teleological progression. (This was a phrase I was told to use for ‘making the reader want to read on).
    ‘We were in sunlight under a turkey oak, partly protected from a strong, gusty wind’
    -Implies that Joe feels warmth and love with Clarrissa, a protection from the outside world
    -‘strong, gusty wind’ pathetic fallacy and foreshadowing the introduction of Jed – something to ‘rustle the leaves’ of the protection (their relationship)
    ‘Next thing I was running towards it. The transformation was absolute: I don’t recall making a decision’
    -Straight into the action – keeps the reader engaged.
    -shows down the time sequence, Joe steps out of the presence to tell us that he doesn’t recall. Delay of resolution creates desperation and suspense in the reader.
    -Doesn’t reveal what ‘it’ is, creates tension and apprehension.
    -First hint of Joe’s unreliable narration as he is telling us that he ‘doesn’t recall’ – not all the information there.
    I see us from three hundred feet up, through the eyes of the buzzard’
    -Freeze frame, the action has suddenly stopped, denying the reader the denouement
    -Buzzard is a bird of prey, has connotations of death thus foreshadows the death of John Logan
    ‘Rushing towards each other like lovers’
    -Ironic, foreshadows the relationship between Jed and Joe from Jed’s perspective. (since the buzzard is seeing the scene the same way as Jed, could hint towards Jed’s potential danger)
    -Plant a seed of doubt in the readers mind that comes into play when Jed starts to accuse him of ‘leading him on’.
    -Joe is narrating this, so why did he choose to describe them as lovers here when he is fighting this throughout the novel – unreliability.
    ‘What was Clarrissa doing?’
    -Foreshadows the breakdown of their relationship
    -Shows that Joe struggles to understand Clarrissa and interpret emotion.
    I’m holding back, delaying the imformation
    -emphasises Joes unreliability, creating mistrust.
    -McEwan overtly teasing the reader about being denied the outcome.
    ‘all the angles of collision’
    -Shows Joe’s overly scientific and ration mind,
    -McEwan building his character.
    -Can alienate some readers as they do not understand, creating mistrust. However some readers may trust him more due to how our society is built on science.
    ‘On the way to heathrow’
    -analeptic. Joe retells the story of how they got to the picnic, once again pausing the action. The reader is desperate to know of the event and its consequences.
    ‘He hung perfectly still along the line of rope’
    -seems elegant.
    -creates a sense of fearless heroism in John Logan’s death. These initial judgements come into play once his characters integrity is challenged by Jean Logan.
    -May make some readers dislike Joe as he is perhaps partly at fault for the death of this heroic figure.

Chapter 2:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chapter two
    ‘Best to slow down’
    -again indicates the slowing of the time sequence, lulling the reader into a false sense of security – they don’t realise that perhaps the most significant part is yet to come.
    -mirrors how Joe felt after the balloon crash, ‘time stood still’ – he couldn’t believe it. Was in shock, helps the reader to sympathise with how he feels.
    -enforces this with a long, heavily punctuated sentence. ‘or in quick succession; what was said, we move or failed to move’ (not sure what this quote read, couldn’t read by writing /facepalm)
    ‘Such pathways of love and hatred blazed’
    -Foreshadows the relationship with Jed and his dual love/hate personality.
    -Aggressive adjective ‘blaze’ suggests danger, perhaps death and destruction. Forebodes Jed’s dangerous violent capability and how destructive he is to Joe/Clarrissa’s relationship.
    ‘First half minute of history in the universe’
    -Tells the reader that this is the start of everything that makes up this book – creates tension as this eludes to big consequences
    -Suggests events on a universal scale – exaggeration perhaps a hint of Joe’s bias narration.
    -Forebodes danger as in essence the big bang was an explosion.
    ‘The delightful existence we shared and expected to continue’
    ‘Expected to continue’ tells the reader that this existence does not continue – forebodes the breakup of Joe’s relationship and sanity.
    ‘I chose a branching in the paths’
    Implies that Joe had a choice to what direction his like could have taken – makes the reader suspicious when Clarrissa starts questioning his integrity, telling him if he acted differently it could have turned out differently, and Jed accuses him of leading him on.
    ‘To me sorrow was a long way off’
    -Foreshadows Joe’s emotional incompatibility with Clarrissa.
    -Tells the reader that Joe is emotionally slow, foreshadows his naivety in the extent he doesn’t realise how bad his relationship is becoming.
    In a dream I was both first and third person’
    -Again delaying, removes us from Joe’s body and away from the action – the reader actually doesn’t know whether Logan is actually dead or not and is being made to wait. Tension builds.
    What we could do’, he said with a seriousness that warned against mockery, ‘is to pray together’.
    -Brings to attention Parry’s religious side. Reader is aware of Joes scientific personality thus the science vs. Religion theme is established.
    -Forebodes confrontation, perhaps violent, as religion and opposing views can lead to this in real life.
    - ‘seriousness that warned against mockery’ again gives the reader the impression that Jed is capable of violence
    -The reader feels distanced from Jed as in modern society overtly religious people are regarded with suspicion; extremism etc.
    ‘He really didn’t want to let me go’
    Foreshadowing the lengths Parry goes to sustain his obsession with Joe.
    ‘Parry’s head was cocked, and the most joyous of smiles was spreading slowly across his face’
    -sibilance, connotes snakes thus evil. The first sign we see of Parry’s erotic obsession for Joe.

I'll be making some more for some key chapters. 2 (when he first meets Jed). 3, (the first phone call).7 (when Joe writes from clarrissa's POV) 22, (the shooting) and 23, clarrissa's letter. I think pivotal/interesting chapters usually come up as you can draw a lot of analysis out of them... Apart from June of course when we got a **** off random one.

Second time lucky :yep:

My hand is hurting with the amount I've written today :sad: Going to spend tomorrow doing practice questions and tonight finishing off making notes for potential questions that could come up..

Struggling of anything to put for structural patterning in The Great Gatsby aside from the mirroring of the two parties and two visits to new york..
      Well for patterns. The colour green seems to appear to represent hope quite alot. And also when Jordan almost crashes the car this is a mirror to when Daisy actually crashes her car.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Genocidal)
      Well for patterns. The colour green seems to appear to represent hope quite alot. And also when Jordan almost crashes the car this is a mirror to when Daisy actually crashes her car.
      TY

ReputationRep:
      It doesn't seem that many people are doing Curious incident of the Dog in the Night Time, but I thought I'd post some notes

First person – adds uniqueness of narrative, change from people with disabilities being talked about, Chris is able to assert identity and convey experiences; Haddon explores perspective of people with Autism.

Sentence type – simple declarative. Reflects Chris’ style of thinking and dependence of facts; develops the character.

Sentence structure – simple, short, Subject-verb-object. Makes narrative seem almost childlike… wider audience or reflection of character; Chris lacks ability to understand linguistic complexities?

Genre - “This is a murder mystery novel”, detective fiction becomes an analogy from some of the challenges autistic people encounter when trying to make sense of the world. Christopher pieces together his world, firstly the dog then the mystery of his mother by interpreting clues and messages without fully understanding them, as does a detective attempting to unravel a mystery.

Intertextuality – Inclusion of text Chris faces e.g posters, adverts on the tube. Letters from his mother; narrative developed through epistolary features/inclusion of letters.

Management of time – Haddon creates tension through his distribution of time. Time is slowed down to make experiences of the protagonist more intense; actions followed minute by minute. This is scene in chapters 191-227 during Chris’ journey to London. For example, Chris says at one point “When I was little and first went to school” this covers a whole era of Chris’ life in a phrase, whilst during the journey he’ll say “And the first stop had been at 1.16pm which was 17 minutes later.” Time is described in much finer detail when Chris is most anxious.

Inclusion of other voices – First person, but includes other voices of characters making the novel Polyphonic. Chris’ thoughts, but the novel is fully of thought, speech and actions of others, which keeps the audience engaged.

Humour and dramatic irony – Christopher reports the words and actions of other characters precisely and often without judgement, the reader can infer the reality of situations which the narrator cannot understand. This allows opportunities for humour due to chris’ lack of understanding. “Steve for example, who comes to school on Thursdays cannot even fetch a stick….Siobhan asked me not to say this to Steve’s mother.”

Establishing sense of place – Christopher is a character reliant on routines and becomes anxious when faced with the unexpected. Establishment of place is acute in novel. Maps, specific measurements and directions are provided to show reader how the narrator relates to his world. Places are always specific, never general “it was a nice police cell…2 x 2 x 2…8 cubic meters of air” Reliance on specific places makes the break in his routine particularly intense in the journey.

Bildungsroman
      – development of the narrator. Traces chris’ maturity towards the end of the novel “I was brave and I wrote a book and that means I can do anything.”

Good luck on the exam!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by amyyy24)
      It doesn't seem that many people are doing Curious incident of the Dog in the Night Time, but I thought I'd post some notes
      I am! Thanks for the notes!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by whgs12)
      your doing two modern novels? :/ thats strange
      dont know if thats a good or bad thing but i always found there was more to say about the older texts
      No no no I think they're both great! There is absolutely loads to say about The Kite Runner - it's so well written! And the Curious Incident is a quick, easy read and it's easy to get into in an exam situation

ReputationRep:
      Ditto. Thanks for the notes

ReputationRep:
      re sitting, got a C - need at least a B
      im doing Auden, Browning, Enduring Love and Small Island
      i still, to this very day, do not know how to revise for english lit :| hahaha

ReputationRep:
      Has any one got Kite Runner notes?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by justiceisjust)
      x
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=71 is good

-----

What sort of stuff do you write for context? :o:

ReputationRep:
      http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...6&postcount=71 is good

-----

What sort of stuff do you write for context? :o:
      In the kite runner I'd right about how the book is affecting our views of Afghanistan, having only seen it before through the bias eyes of the media. Also how we regard religion and how Baba's apparent rejection of it and his more western lifestyle may bring us closer to him.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.