Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    I saw Swan Lake on Saturday. :teeth:
    Hope you liked it. It's awesome isn't it?

It would be great if this fabulous movie turned on a whole new audience to ballet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plato's Trousers)
    Hope you liked it. It's awesome isn't it?

It would be great if this fabulous movie turned on a whole new audience to ballet.
    It's funny you say that cos despite the film being so anti-ballet, if I can call it that, or at least very unhinged in terms of portraying the gruesome hardships of the ballet dancer/the 'painful' side of the art it did make me want to see Swan Lake and go the ballet and see it being performed, perhaps because it made me appreciate how the performers suffer for their art... A friend on the other hand mentioned to me that after seeing Black Swan she wouldn't want to go now she has had some insight into what the world of ballet is really like...and I can sort of see what she's saying. Of course, it is a dramatic account of the life of a ballet dancer and must be taken with a pinch of salt but you do wonder if any art is ever justifies that kind of pain. I'd be interested to hear what others' opinions are?
    Do you think Black Swan will get more people into ballet or put more people off? Or more generally do you think it's pro or anti ballet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonefish)
    It's funny you say that cos despite the film being so anti-ballet, if I can call it that, or at least very unhinged in terms of portraying the gruesome hardships of the ballet dancer/the 'painful' side of the art it did make me want to see Swan Lake and go the ballet and see it being performed, perhaps because it made me appreciate how the performers suffer for their art... A friend on the other hand mentioned to me that after seeing Black Swan she wouldn't want to go now she has had some insight into what the world of ballet is really like...and I can sort of see what she's saying. Of course, it is a dramatic account of the life of a ballet dancer and must be taken with a pinch of salt but you do wonder if any art is ever justifies that kind of pain. I'd be interested to hear what others' opinions are?
    Do you think Black Swan will get more people into ballet or put more people off? Or more generally do you think it's pro or anti ballet?
    Well, I know what you mean and I absolutely agree with you. Except I wouldn't say the film is anti-ballet. It just uses ballet's high emotional intensity and melodrama as the backdrop for a horror/exploitation movie.

But equally, it does convey the amazing power of Tchaikovsky's music interpreted by dancers. So to that extent, I hope (and I am sure) it will turn a whole new batch of people on to an art form that suffers (like opera) from an image problem.

ReputationRep:
    One word for this film... STUNNING.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so i watched this for the first time the other night, because of all the hype about it i thought it would be a good watch, but honestly i really dont think i shall be watching it again!

I mean i figured it was going to be a bit dark from the trailer but i think that may have been bordering on horror - it was well filmed dont get me wrong! and Natalie Portman did a brilliant job!

I mean obviously i know its a matter of opinion and personal preference but im just interested to see what people thought of it and the people who did enjoy it - why they enjoyed it

ReputationRep:
    I've only seen the sex scene to be honest with you.

ReputationRep:
    I hate horror films, and it freaked me out so much. So much
    But it was good, afterwards I was like "Woah, that was pretty good." And it stuck with me for a bit.
    And the sex scene was pretty good

ReputationRep:
    even without the creepy scenes, I didnt like it...2 much hype over nothing imo

'Tangled' is better

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was good...

ReputationRep:
    I watched it a few days ago as well as everyone said it's a 'must see'. I wouldn't say it's a horror.. I really thought it would be much darker...half of the film was really boring, only got slightly better towards the middle to end. Although the actress did a good job, filming and that was good...just not a great film- in my opinion of course. Won't be watching it again unless someone forces me.

ReputationRep:
    Depressing.

ReputationRep:
    It was so stressful :L

ReputationRep:
    I love psychological thrillers and Black Swan was up there with the best I've seen- Natalie Portman was compelling throughout. Whilst some people criticised how graphic it was, I felt that Nina's exploration of sexuality was imperative to her transformation into the black swan. The blaring music and cringe-worthy moments like when she pulled back the skin of her index finger and later trapped her mother's hand in the door only added to the drama. It would have been nice to see a bit more of Mila Kunis though

ReputationRep:
    It was so over-dramatic in parts it came out silly. I think Aronofsky's films are student-ish like that. I watched Pi te other day and there was a line that made me crack up, it was like a 15 year old wrote it for drama. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I loved Natalie Portman and the different camera angels etc. But the thing that ruined it a bit for me was the part where Nina suddenly got this swan neck when she was strangled and her legs that just broke into this weird swan position. That ruined the moment, but otherwise it was really good

ReputationRep:
    I loves it <3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 786girl)
    even without the creepy scenes, I didnt like it...2 much hype over nothing imo

'Tangled' is better
    Tangled is amazing! :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Bit too mental for my liking. Won't watch it again.

Still love Natalie Portman, mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seanfromtheblock)
    It was so stressful :L
    i totally agree xD i was watching it with my mum and my great aunt! and we had to stop it to get a glass of wine :L we felt too stressed - as for the sex scenes - just a tad awkward! xD

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic film, one of the best I've seen in a long time. Definitely not a horror though, just intensely dark and thrilling.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.