Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSRBC -- January '11 Watch

• View Poll Results: What book do you want TSR to read?
    24.44%
    The Book Thief
    17.78%
    A Case of Exploding Mangoes
    4.44%
    The Handmaid's Tale
    2.22%
    Heart of Darkness
    33.33%
    To The Lighthouse
    4.44%
    Villette
    2.22%
    A Thousand Splendid Suns
    8.89%
    The Killing Jar
    0%
    The Pillowman
    2.22%

ReputationRep:
    A deadline to when we read it and we all discuss it then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Le Masquerador.)
    urm, I think the plan was to just read the book and discuss it as we go along, but I guess some people are still getting theirs and those who have theirs don't want to ruin it for everyone else :dontknow:
    I was, originally, planning for this. The thing I was worried about would be the thread to die out as we read it. :erm:

BUT

(Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
    Would discussing it while we're reading it not be just one big spoiler fest? Could have a 'Potential Spoiler Thread' for those who wish to discuss along the way and then the first one to finish it opens an 'End Discussion' thread, where we can join in as and when we finish. I haven't even managed to order it yet so would prefer not to ruin it for myself I'm guessing a few other at least might be the same.

As always, just a suggestion

(Original post by Colonel.)
    A deadline to when we read it and we all discuss it then.
    Deadline seems wiser. We'll try it

Deadline for reading Heart of Darkness would be 3 weeks time from the start of January.

That seems reasonable? It's a pretty short book.

---

Accidentally bought £20 of books today in Blackwells :teehee:

And bought the cheap Wordsworth editions as well; £1.99 is a bargain. Though the covers lead something to be desired.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by spacepirate-James)
    I was, originally, planning for this. The thing I was worried about would be the thread to die out as we read it. :erm:

BUT

Deadline for reading Heart of Darkness would be 3 weeks time from the start of January.

Fine by me. We can always talk about other books in the meantime :blah:

And bought the cheap Wordsworth editions as well; £1.99 is a bargain. Though the covers lead something to be desired.
    See? You're doing it now. Accidental book(related) purchases ftw :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I'm gonna start the book on the 18th, once ALL of my exams are over, so i'll just power read the book til the end of the month as i'll have tons of time.

ReputationRep:
    I'm actually quite psyched to get this book finished and read. I then might have a valid reason to hate the book, once I have read it :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'd do this too, but I hate deadlines.

True, but I got exams. :sad: But great news, I have already bought it, but still need to finish this. Just halfway through...

Lol, I accidentally bought a science book I wasn't meaning to buy at Waterstones! God there are some good offers there, e.g. 99p for a whole host of books!

Yes, I once bought a book because of the nice cover. Having said that, it was a good read, so if anyone is ever stuck in buying a book, choose one with a nice cover. :p:

I also got the Wordsworth edition, seems pretty good as it also got "The End of Tether" in it. :yep:

(Original post by awais590)
        I'm gonna start the book on the 18th, once ALL of my exams are over, so i'll just power read the book til the end of the month as i'll have tons of time.
        This! I've got a huge reading list to catch up on, e.g. those neat "Introduction" books, various novels, maths books, some history book etc etc.

Going to be a busy reading year for me!

ReputationRep:
        I finished HoD a couple of days ago (minus the last paragraph :rolleyes)... but thought I'd keep quiet in the hope someone else would - shall I just assume that we're forgetting the first to read thing and all not talking about it until the third week in Jan? Or is there going to be that spoiler thread? :confused:

Happy New Year everyone

ReputationRep:
        Am I right in thinking that the deadline is Saturday 22nd January then?

Edit:

(Original post by BookWormShanti)
        Happy New Year everyone
        Oh yeah, happy new year cats and kittens. I discovered rum last night. Anyone want to change this month's book to Treasure Island?

ReputationRep:
        hey!
        i'm boo. i'm from pakistan, living in the u.a.e.
        and err, i just joined this group. it sounds fun.
        soo, heart of darkness. what do you do? finish reading the book, and then summarize it in your own words or something?

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by PurpleKnife)
        hey!
        i'm boo. i'm from pakistan, living in the u.a.e.
        and err, i just joined this group. it sounds fun.
        soo, heart of darkness. what do you do? finish reading the book, and then summarize it in your own words or something?
        Hi there.
        I don't think we're really sure about that yet (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ). This is our first book.

I think we're planning to read the book and talk about what we thought of it; what we thought was good/bad; whether we enjoyed it; what we've taken away from it; stuff like that (again, anyone feel free to add stuff, I'm not really thinking properly).

________________________________ ________________________________ ________________________________ _______________________

Incidentally, I went on wikipedia to look for inspiration as to what we could talk about, because that's how I roll. There wasn't any, but I did find this:

"One of the problems with these clubs is that some members regard them as opportunities for social contact and conversation veering off onto a wide variety of non-literary topics, while others hope to engage in serious literary analysis focused on the book in question and related works."
        I can't imagine that ever happening here :awesome:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by SpiritedAway)
        I'm actually quite psyched to get this book finished and read. I then might have a valid reason to hate the book, once I have read it :p:
        You will don't worry! This book killed me slowly in college

ReputationRep:
        :creep:

ReputationRep:
        :creep:
        Ice-skating?? :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by shorty.loves.angels)
        Ice-skating?? :lolwut:
        actually

that's how i dance

ReputationRep:
        actually

that's how i dance
        :yy: Whatever works for you man!

ReputationRep:
        Jah jah jah this sounds awesome!!!!

Just, literally just, finished Heart of Darkness yesterday, and in need of some serious discussion concerning it, because, well, I thought it was a difficult one to understand all by my self!

So is this thread where it's all gonna happen? And when does discussing start??

Loving this book club idea :dance:!!

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LilyCH)

Just, literally just, finished Heart of Darkness yesterday, and in need of some serious discussion concerning it, because, well, I thought it was a difficult one to understand all by my self!

LOL at the little dancing dude :yy: This is such a happy thread :bigsmile:

Yusss I think discussion starts on the 2somethingth? Here most likely... So you got a bit of a wait. And I'm peed off because my book STILL hasn't arrived!!! I knew amazon was a bad idea for this buy :grumble:

Can I have yours :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by LilyCH)

The almighty creator (of this thread, not God) states:

Thus, the 22nd

So you still got over two weeks to wait :eek2: How on earth will you contain your excitement??

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 4, 2011
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.