Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamseeker)

B-but they take up so much room and the pages go all wavy in humid rooms, and there's always an annoying shadow down the middle of the book due to the lighting of the room (for me, anyway) I like to read in! I've already downloaded thousands of e-books - they just need a home.

Btw. Do you go to Cardiff uni?

Hmm, I guess you have your reasons then. But I still think all the anguish over wavy pages is worth the lovely smell of real paper. However, the fact that you can have all your books in one little place and carry them all around with you is really appealing. :ninja: No, not yet, I just live in Cardiff. Do you?

ReputationRep:
    i have a amazon kindle, and it's brillant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Hmm, I guess you have your reasons then. But I still think all the anguish over wavy pages is worth the lovely smell of real paper. However, the fact that you can have all your books in one little place and carry them all around with you is really appealing. :ninja: No, not yet, I just live in Cardiff. Do you?
    I will be at Cardiff uni in September, yeah. Hopefully armed with a Kindle. Or Amazon Tablet. But also with books! Many many books. Just ordered 'Blindsight', even though I have far too much to read as it is. I can't help myself. :')

ReputationRep:
    My kindle is great, long battery life and plenty of storage, plus I like that it can be a daily newspaper as well.

ReputationRep:
    e-yeball

bear

:badger:

ReputationRep:
    iPhone, with iBook and Stanza. It's okay. I want a Kindle!

ReputationRep:
    The kindle. Amazon is a great delivery service with very good customer service on top.

They offer free samples. There are regular bargins.

There is no glare on the screen, the software seems pretty stable, the battery life is fantastic and pretty much negligable with the wireless turned off if you dont use it (e ink means no battery is being used to keep the words on the page). Relativly cheap. Good back up system. Failsafe in case of theft.

Some of my friends have had problems with the screen warping and being unreadable. Amazon will replace your kindle no questions if its in warranty. Problem can be fixed by being careful and buying a case for it, which also makes it less of a target since after that it just looks like a book.

ReputationRep:
    The whole point of the kindle is that its relativly cheap, has a long battery life and no backlight glare giving you headache. Its also a good size and weight.

The amazon tablet appears to have none of these things.

ReputationRep:
    Tablets are a completely different things from e-readers, and the iPad does not compare to a Kindle whatsoever. An e-reader is in black and white only (for now). It uses e-ink and it looks like a book. It's not lit up, and it doesn't tire the eye out like the screen of a tablet does. I don't think you'd spend as much time reading on an iPad or an Android tablet as you would on an e-reader, it's like comparing reading on a laptop screen and reading a paperback.

And for your own sake, look at the rest of the market, the Kindle isn't the only one available, and there are excellent (and far better) alternatives out there, especially if you don't just want to read on it. Sony e-readers are a great tool for studying as well.

(Original post by SophiaKeuning)
    Nooo, don't give up. Think of the smell. The sexy smell of books.
    Why would having an e-reader stops you from buying real books? There are still thousands of books you won't find in PDF, and most of them, when they aren't free, are as expensive, if not more than a "real" book. For this reason, I'm sure tonnes of e-reader users haven't given up on buying real books.

But really, it's time people stop being so snobbish about books, the content should matter more than the physical aspect of it. Yes, the feel is incredible and the smell is fantastic, but you go travel for 6 months and we'll see where you manage to stick the 50 books you planned on reading :p:.

An e-reader has many advantages over a real book, if you ask me, and before you accuse me of not being a "real" book lover, I still buy paperbacks, I still hoard books whenever I go (left home with 5 books, came back with 10 more after 6 months abroad. Twice.), I still spend absolute ages in bookshops, I still visit libraries, even if it means paying £15 to enter the Russian National Library, and there is no way I'll give up on books.

But e-readers give you freedom. You can have more books with you all the time, which means you can carry your favourite ones with you at all times, but also an extra thousand. And if you're like me and read 2 or 3 books at the same time, imagine the room you get in your handbag with an e-reader!

I also use mine for my studies, I have my textbooks on it, and whatever PDF I have to read, because it's a lot comfier than reading it on a laptop screen, and I can take handwritten notes on mine. It's even comfier in bed, there's no need to twist your wrist awkwardly to find the perfect angle, having a cover, I just put mine here and I only need to touch the screen to change the page. It has a little light as well, which is really quite convenient when you don't want to wake anyone up, or that there's no light available.

Really, being a book lover shouldn't mean that you are to hate technology when it comes to paperbacks. They won't be replaced anytime soon, and e-readers definitely have things books don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I still spend absolute ages in bookshops, I still visit libraries, even if it means paying £15 to enter the Russian National Library, and there is no way I'll give up on books.
    I just understood that you are talking about Russian National Library, and I talk about Russian State Library, so there are serious difference. So I've changed the post, I know nothing about RNL.

ReputationRep:
    problem is i don't see why i don't just use my HTC, read's pdfs okay and I charge it every night..

ReputationRep:
    I was gonna buy the kindle, but apparently next gen will be touchscreen, probs early 2012?

ReputationRep:
    I have a Sony PRS-650. I picked this one because I could add extra memory, which is not currently possible with a Kindle, but also because it allows me to take handwritten notes on my files, and transfer them to my laptop, which is incredibly useful when working on PDFs, as I've always found them to be a pain to read on a laptop. I also find my Sony classier than a Kindle, and it's a touchscreen, but it was more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anatheme)
    I also use mine for my studies, I have my textbooks on it, and whatever PDF I have to read, because it's a lot comfier than reading it on a laptop screen, and I can take handwritten notes on mine.
    I was thinking about getting an ipad, but I didn't realise you could take hand written notes on the new models, what e-reader do you have?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy1910)
    I was thinking about getting an ipad, but I didn't realise you could take hand written notes on the new models, what e-reader do you have?
    A Sony PRS-650. I think the same features are available on the 350 as well, which is slightly smaller. It's not amazing, as in it doesn't compare to a piece of paper and a pen, but it comes in very handy when you're working at the library and you don't want the distraction offered by the iPad or a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference between an E-reader and a Kindle?

ReputationRep:
    An e-reader is any device designed for reading ebooks, the Kindle being one of these devices. It is widely regarded as the best of them, and I can say from personal experience they are fantastic

(Original post by sunfowers01)
    What is the difference between an E-reader and a Kindle?

ReputationRep:
    What puts me off getting one is the initial £150 cost. Do you save much on the cost of books?

ReputationRep:
    What puts me off getting one is the initial £150 cost. Do you save much on the cost of books?
    You can have all the classics for free, that's at least a good thousand books you don't need to pay for. Check out Gutenberg Project to see what you can get.

ReputationRep:
    On some you do which is a bonus because you save rather than forking out for a paperback and having to wait for delivery and then finding space for it. Although you'll find some which are cheaper in paperback format due to the whole selling them for 1p then £2.80 postage from sellers. Plus Amazon do a ton of cheaper books that might not be that well known, there a few little gems and you might end up paying a pound or two for them. But they have a ton of free old ones which you can also get from project gutenberg.

Tip: Get a refurbished kindle from Amazon, it's secondhand but will be have been sent back to the factory for repairs and so will literally have nothing wrong with it, plus I think they even do a one year warrenty on the refurb ones, although you'd have to check. I saw a 3G model (normally going for £152) at £115 or something because it was refurbed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.