The Student Room Group

TSR Turkish Society

Scroll to see replies

Stupid Team Stupid Bursa raaaaaaaah :mad: 2-0 down
Original post by Selmz
Gipriss lol i'd love to go there just haven't had the chance :/ oh well i'm from Istanbul and both my parents have Kosovan mixed in them (which makes me half i think) its a long story :smile: but were like Kosovan Turks aka gocmen's if u get me :smile:

ye I heard of Kosovan Turks :biggrin: a lot of people in Istanbul have mixed heritage lol :biggrin:
Original post by hollywoodbudgie
Well usually it's 'pics or GT...'...:

"Pics or GTFO" sorry I had to complete it :biggrin:
For any who might be able to, and wish to help please take a look at this partial if clause in English;

"if the weather was good,"

isn't it both conditional and a clause that cannot stand alone? So in Turkish to say "was" and followed by an adjective (good), would you use -ol or -et in the past tense form "olmus" or "edildi" or in fact, something else?

So used in a full sentence; They were going to walk, if the weather was good.

Specifically this is part of verbs in past tense, future past. But I was not sure if the conditional suffixes of -se/-sa apply here because was good describes something and is not a verb.

ps. still wish TSR could display Turkish letters:frown:
Original post by Zebracolors
For any who might be able to, and wish to help please take a look at this partial if clause in English;

"if the weather was good,"

isn't it both conditional and a clause that cannot stand alone? So in Turkish to say "was" and followed by an adjective (good), would you use -ol or -et in the past tense form "olmus" or "edildi" or in fact, something else?

So used in a full sentence; They were going to walk, if the weather was good.

Specifically this is part of verbs in past tense, future past. But I was not sure if the conditional suffixes of -se/-sa apply here because was good describes something and is not a verb.

ps. still wish TSR could display Turkish letters:frown:

Turkish syntax's and sentence arranging is different to that of it's English counterpart. If you wanted to say "was good" for example you'd say "iyi oldu" or "iyi olmus"

but generally "iyi olmus" can refer to a multitude of things if for example someone hadn't seen somebody in a long time, but knew they were ill and another person comes along and asks them have whether or not that particular person has

recovered from their illness they'd say "iyi olmus" that loosely means "apparently they have recovered" such words have rhetorical values in Turkish. It's weird I know but it's really difficult to compare and contrast Turkish and English sentencing arrangements.

You could say "iyi oldu" in a multitude of different contexts as well, for example my team lost today and I had my cousin messaging me through facebook saying "kaybettiginiz iyi oldu" it has some ironic and sarcastic meaning which literally translates to the following "it's good that you lost" you could also say it in the following context let's say someones recovered from their illness (forgive me for using the same lame example again :colone:)

you could say to someone if they asked how that particular person was "iyi oldu" you'd be able to say that because you yourself have seem them recover. Anyway Im sorry if I've confused you, I myself at times am confused by this confounded language. Also to phrase your particular sentence " They were going to walk, if the weather was good"

It'd be be something like the following sentences I imagine

"Yuruyuse gidiceklerdi, hava guzel olsaydi"

They were going for a walk if the weather was nice.

"Hava Guzel olsaydi Yuruyuse cikicaklaridi"

If the weather was nice they would have gone outside for a walk

"Yuruyuse gitmek istiyorlar ama sadece hava guzelse"

They want to go for a walk, but only if the weather is nice

Sorry if I overcomplicated things :frown:
Thank you CS! I had not thought about conditional past form of var?; olsaydi.

But no it was not over complicated. I can recognize the suffixes on other words in your sentences as well. I had read that sometimes, more often than not, you can't always translate between the two languages verbatim because of the different contexts and syntax and all that :biggrin:

Also that often different meanings are implied depending on direction and context. I suppose that is something that one would have to learn to recognize as far as context and use of a phrase. Which comes with speaking with native speakers.

See, I was even thinking maybe oldu but then I remembered past tense of be but I didnt know if that only applied to past tense of verbs rather than adjectives. Which is why I wondered about edildi.
Reply 266
Helloooo everyone! I see everyone is busy :biggrin: I am back :smile: Spoke to my lecturer on Friday showed her my essay plan and she says if I can deliver what I have written then I am in for a distinction!! I am trying to chill out now :smile: My turkish grammar and syntax is terrible so could not be of any help but CS you have done a great job in explaining!
Original post by G_S
Helloooo everyone! I see everyone is busy :biggrin: I am back :smile: Spoke to my lecturer on Friday showed her my essay plan and she says if I can deliver what I have written then I am in for a distinction!! I am trying to chill out now :smile: My turkish grammar and syntax is terrible so could not be of any help but CS you have done a great job in explaining!

:zomg: Wow! Congratulations!
Reply 268
:zomg: Wow! Congratulations!

aww thanks for that!!
Original post by G_S

Grats GS:smile: What does the distinction you mention mean or what does it mean you get? Wish you all success on that mission.:biggrin:
Reply 270
Grats GS:smile: What does the distinction you mention mean or what does it mean you get? Wish you all success on that mission.:biggrin:

aww bless cheers :biggrin: master's degrees are normally classified into the categories of Fail, Pass, Pass with Merit or Pass with Distinction so that will mean I get 80% or 80% and above which is the highest they give which equals to a distinction for Masters. :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

How have you been? is it still sunny there?? I have a staff-student posgraduate meeting tomorrow and I don't want to go :s-smilie: but I could not get out of it! the last meeting was soooo broing and it starts at 5pm and god knows when it will finish:frown:
Ive been great, and happy, my classes are going alright. Thanks for asking.

Actually weather-wise we got alot of snow last weekend, I think it finally reached about 5 inches deep. But it has been so cold all week that it has not melted away yet. Today however is sunny and a bit warmer so much of it may start to melt.

As for your meeting, just try to focus on the work so you're not watching the clock. For me, I noticed that while at work if I am really busy and not looking at the time, the hours seem to go by faster. :smile:
Reply 272
Ive been great, and happy, my classes are going alright. Thanks for asking.

Actually weather-wise we got alot of snow last weekend, I think it finally reached about 5 inches deep. But it has been so cold all week that it has not melted away yet. Today however is sunny and a bit warmer so much of it may start to melt.

As for your meeting, just try to focus on the work so you're not watching the clock. For me, I noticed that while at work if I am really busy and not looking at the time, the hours seem to go by faster. :smile:

Glad to hear all is going well :smile::smile: There is this very sharp cold outside here so I am dreading leaving the house tomorrow. As for the meeting I'll try my very best not to look at the time:biggrin:

Im soo happy that we have our own thread!!!
no worries Zebrecolors I just hope what I said wasn't confusing :biggrin: yea it's great we've got our own thread :biggrin:
Reply 274
how is everyone doing???????? what is up with those people who go to work/school with a big bag?? and then just shove it into peoples face when on the train? oh well I pushed it right back in her face today!!
Reply 275
What are the three fastest ways of communication?

Three fastest ways of communication in the world:

1. a.. Tele-phone
2. a.. Tele-vision
3. a.. Tell-a-woman.

You still want faster?

4. a.. (Tell her not to tell anyone )
Reply 276
:smile::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Nice joke :smile: . With that, I resign as DP of the Turkish Society.

Take care!
Reply 278
Nice joke :smile: . With that, I resign as DP of the Turkish Society.

Take care!

:eek::eek::eek: what's happening? you resign as DP?? I'll go if you go!
I'm going to Istanbul for 4 days next week.
Never been to Turkey before and really looking forward to it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending