Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Start psych on Monday *shudder* not looking forward to it!
    Snap. Can't say I'm looking forward to it either...

I think my face it too expressive to communicate with some of the more 'interesting' psych patients without getting a black eye! A night 1-to-1 caring for a bipolar paranoid schizophrenic as a HCA was more than enough for me to know that psych isn't for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    No but there are much better ways to learn most of the information (quite a few lectures are unclear) and you can do a lot more visual stuff than alot of the lecturers who seem to have just swapped the blackboard for power point. My point was that for our first years getting a first is quite formulaic, almost anyone can do it if they put the work in.
    I can't seem to revise MCD! =[ The lectures are so long and so boring. I like Tang's stuff though. Very interesting. So much to know, so little time! Thank God the formatives don't count!

ReputationRep:
    Just to let the OP know that I am currently a First Year at Manchester.

Exams are depressing, and I haven't taken one yet

ReputationRep:
    I'm moving back to Toots on Sunday.

I have my SSC presentation on Monday. My SSC tutor, a consultant psychiatrist, and two SpR grade psychiatrists are attending.
    Really hope I don't get grilled.

Oh and I should really start practising clinicals. My OSCE is just over three weeks away and I'm far from ready.
    I am getting goosebumps just thinking about the buzzer!

ReputationRep:
    I am sulking. Moved into a new room, but apparently this is a 'temporary' room until my 'perminent room' is avaliable as it needs some repairs doing on it. The permanent room is one floor below this one! Why can't I just stay here! Also been given no idea of time scale, could be days or weeks, do I unpack or keep everything in boxes. HUMPH

ReputationRep:
    Going on gen med acute take tonight...whether I'm still as keen tomorrow morning is another story

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    I am sulking. Moved into a new room, but apparently this is a 'temporary' room until my 'perminent room' is avaliable as it needs some repairs doing on it. The permanent room is one floor below this one! Why can't I just stay here! Also been given no idea of time scale, could be days or weeks, do I unpack or keep everything in boxes. HUMPH
    Pants

ReputationRep:
    Learn 17 lectures from scratch in 7 days...doable? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    With commitment, definitely :p:

ReputationRep:
    You can do it.

How long does it take you to do a lecture on average? Although I attend lectures, I go back and listen to the podcast and write additional notes over my slides. It usually takes me about 2-3 hours - but I have a serious OCD with neatness of my work. I use a ruler and pencil to make lines because I can't write in a straight line. I even use a ruler to make my bullet points parallel. I might just take a photo to show how messed up it is. :p:

ReputationRep:
    How many slides on each?

I'd the respiratory system in two and managed a decent enough 14/20.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i'm no superman)
    You can do it.

How long does it take you to do a lecture on average? Although I attend lectures, I go back and listen to the podcast and write additional notes over my slides. It usually takes me about 2-3 hours - but I have a serious OCD with neatness of my work. I use a ruler and pencil to make lines because I can't write in a straight line. I even use a ruler to make my bullet points parallel. I might just take a photo to show how messed up it is. :p:
    The thing is - some of these (ok most) are quite in depth , and tbh I'm learning them from scratch as aforementioned.
    I guess on a 72 slide lecture, it takes me a good 4 hours? With breaks and so on...
    So technically I need 68 hours ish so if I work roughly 10 hours a day I might have a chance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    How many slides on each?

I'd the respiratory system in two and managed a decent enough 14/20.
    It seems to vary - some have like 12 and other 72 as mentioned!
    The only problem is - some needs extended reading of papers etc...as I've got to write 3 essays, with a possible 6 questions. And about 17 topics total.

This could be interesting, maybe , just maybe even I'm pushing it a bit. I know I'm lastminute.com but wow

ReputationRep:
    Delends on the lecture. Some I can blaze through in 30 mins others require several hours

ReputationRep:
    I'll let you know how it goes - but then I am pretty much the biggest risk taking medic I know (academically :p:) so we'll see!

ReputationRep:
    *scuttles in* sorry to intrude but do any of you guys have access to the Student BMA website? If so, would someone be ever so kind and copy and paste in a PM an article I really would like to read? *scuttles out*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    *scuttles in* sorry to intrude but do any of you guys have access to the Student BMA website? If so, would someone be ever so kind and copy and paste in a PM an article I really would like to read? *scuttles out*
    Sure - link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hygeia)
    Sure - link?
    I think this is the right link: http://web2.bma.org.uk/stubma.nsf/wd...+December+2010

If not, it's entitled 'Fee rises will hit graduate students worst'

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    I think this is the right link: http://web2.bma.org.uk/stubma.nsf/wd...+December+2010

If not, it's entitled 'Fee rises will hit graduate students worst'

Thanks
    It's only a very short thing

article

Fee rises will hit graduate students worst

Section: Letters
    Issue: 18 December 2010

The increase in tuition fees will have serious consequences for widening participation. There is a small but significant group of people who will be particularly affected, a group that most people are totally forgetting about: graduate entrants.

Graduate entrant numbers are continually increasing, and not just on graduate-only courses. At Dundee up to 20 places on the traditional five-year undergraduate course are allocated for graduates, but often the actual number of graduates in a year is much higher. This reflects a medical school whose intake is characterised by diverse ages and experiences — exactly what the widening participation agenda aims for.

Currently those with honours degrees, me included, have to pay tuition fees without loans. That means four years of upfront payments for those on traditional undergraduate courses, and one year for those on graduate courses.

That might be fine and dandy if daddy were a multi-millionaire, but that’s not the case for most of us. A lot of people have to work in term time.

How are graduate entrants going to cope with the increase in tuition fees? They will be deterred from studying medicine, which is totally against the widening participation ideal the BMA has been campaigning for.

A tuition fee loan needs to be offered to this group of students.

Gemma VonGyer
    Second year, Dundee

ReputationRep:
    Meh, just about recovered from take, now havr to do a presentation on COPD - wild times ahead. In other news, med regs are awesome, scary but awesome.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.