Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever rejected an Oxbridge offer? Watch

• PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Wow. That's a nice sum of money.
    It was indeed :awesome:

Manchester also offered me a good bursary but I wouldn't have got it because it requires you to get 3 As

ReputationRep:
    In my uni there are plenty of people who have. Especially internationals and people doing maths based courses.

ReputationRep:
    My friend had an offer from Cambridge for Computer Science, but he turned it down to come to Bath instead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    One of the girls last year who got an Oxford offer decided to withdraw and go through the Open University, I think. I could be wrong though.
    Sorry, she rejected Cambridge for Open University? That makes me want to vomit somewhat. Why in the world would she do that?! :confused: x 100

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im so academic)
    *subscribes*

:eek::eek::eek: Not Cambridge Maths! :facepalm2:
    Meet this guy:

(Original post by potassium^2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeeGRANT)
    Sorry, she rejected Cambridge for Open University? That makes me want to vomit somewhat. Why in the world would she do that?! :confused: x 100
    It says Oxford...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeeGRANT)
    There's already ideas been given as to why previously in the thread. Everyone is different though....

ReputationRep:
    Yes, people do all the time. Often because they go to interview and decide that the pressure of tutorials isn't really for them.

ReputationRep:
    I know a girl know had all A*/A GCSE's
    Had all A AS Levels. Half way through A2 - got pregnant. Now about to give birth to her second child. Crazy crazy times. But if she's happy

ReputationRep:
    A couple of people of TSR are doing it, or considering doing it
    My chemistry teacher also rejected an offer from cambridge (and went to manchester instead), mainly because she was pooled to an all girls college.

coincidently... i've also been pooled to the same college but i've firmed, coz although it's not my first choice college, the people were so friendly at interview (and actually so normal!), and the interviews were lovely, and i could actually have a proper conversation with them without feeling intimidated or anything

But having said that, cambridge (and oxford) isnt for everyone; especially the work load!. in a way, i'm kinda lucky that i was pooled to murray edwards, as the atmosphere is much friendlier and vibrant!, and the students there were down to earth as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    well ok. If that's what they said. I'm not gonna shoot the messenger. They did get rejected though, so you dunno what they'd actually do.
    Yeah true, as people on here have mentioned the financial help they give is very generous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidmarsh01)
    It says Oxford...

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOL

fail.

ReputationRep:
    I would never reject that!

ReputationRep:
    One guy I know rejected Cambridge as he didn't like the Cambridge stereotype so went to UCL.

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'm going Imperial instead .

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty sure you're a troll but nvm. Anyone whose interested at all in studying Archaeology at all at undergraduate will know that oxbridge simply can't compete with the equipment and staff at other top universities and no anthropology isn't mandatory, and as I find it quite dull I am relived it isn't!

ReputationRep:
    I know of a girl who was torn between Cambridge and Glasgow, but went for Glasgow because she thought that they had better costumed parties. =L

ReputationRep:
    Chuck Norris.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fallen)
    I am going to be putting Oxford as my insurance after Imperial College.
    LIAR

Edit: Look at the guy's signature - he's firming Oxford (AAA) and his insurance is York (AAB) (He's withdrawing his ICL offer which is A*AAA). So stop negging me yo!

ReputationRep:
    In my college, someone rejected Cambridge Medicine (as an international student crazy competitive) to go to MiT the following year ( Yes, she rejected Cambridge took a year off and went into MiT the following year). Also I know someone else who almost rejected Cambridge because as an international student he could not afford it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.