Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchild007)
    Such ties have little influence in my view b/c historical ties are irrelevant in most places (take India for example, they are closer to the US than the UK).

I would say in Europe people are clued-up enough to realise that HYP are at the very least, on par with Oxbridge, if not more - particularly if you head down to France/Germany etc. In addition, you also have the likes of Ecole etc which tend to slip-in given specific regions.

India is another place where I'd say HYP trumps Oxbridge given personal experience, as with the rest of Asia as a whole. Both Oxbridge and HYP etc are all very respected (with the latter more so than the former), so its just being nit-picky at the end of the day, so its all good as they say. Its like saying, would you prefer a Mercedes (HYP) or a BMW (Oxbridge) - both really good cars I'm sure most people would be happy with
    What are you planning on majoring in at Yale btw?

ReputationRep:
    why is caltech so forgettable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    …..
    If you went to places in Europe which hadn't heard of HYP, then they must have been pretty rural/bizarre places, as my experience is distinctly different from my recent travels there (I'm in a gap-year). A lot more people (when you are asked the proverbial "what university are you going to next year" or "what are you doing next year" etc), had a much more 'excited' response, due to prestige, when I mentioned I was attending a Ivy League, then when a friend mentioned Oxford. The only exception to this was in Latvia/Estonia of all places, which had only heard the more London centric schools (i.e. Imperial, LSE etc) and not much about Oxbridge or HYP.

As for societies in India, I just did a quick Google search and the Harvard Indian Society is one of the largest alumni societies in India - so connections definitely exist, bolstered by the excellent post-grad opportunities the Ivy's have to boot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annoying-Mouse)
    The Indian government is but from what I've seen I wouldn't say the Indian people are.

I disagree. From having travelled around Europe, most people I've encountered with haven't even heard of the ivies (which isn't a surprise because it's the general public) and the ones that were university/school educated and heard of the ivies, regarded them equal or Oxbridge greater in prestige.

I do agree that east Asia ivies are more regarded in higher manner than Oxbridge but I think stating in India ivies are more higher regarded is pushing it a little at most I would say equal. Just do a quick google search with ivies and the term 'India' and compare it with 'Oxbridge' and the term 'India' and see the results. For the former it's mostly research from the universities in India or Indian society within the actual university whereas the latter actually has results such as this which is a society oxbridge society in India, this which shows the connection between India and Oxford and finally this which shows the connection between India and Cambridge. I am not biased and have searched the other-side and didn't come up much with Harvard. For Princeton, found this which in all honesty doesn't match to this. Moving on, found this for Yale which by reading it you can tell doesn't match up with this, heck look at all the famous Indians educated in Cambridge, how many have been educated in the US? Even Yale acknowledges their ties aren't as strong as they want it to be.
    I agree with your points 100%

Certainly within Europe Oxbridge carries a greater amount of prestige and I would be surprised if this wasn't the case in India where practically almost every significant politican in Indian politics has been an alumni of either Oxford or Cambridge.

TBH I'm fed up of arguing. Can't get through to the dweeb who just refuses to acknowledge wider opinion and live in his own little sheltered bubble and as I said, good luck to him.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford,Cambridge, LSE, peking university, university of Aberdeen (Scotland)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malcolm-X)

TBH I'm fed up of arguing. Can't get through to the dweeb who just refuses to acknowledge wider opinion and live in his own little sheltered bubble and as I said, good luck to him.
    Annoying-Mouse and myself are trying to have an engaging debate - no one has called each other names and none of us is out to prove the other wrong. Its just an insightful discussion between two adults - which is obviously different to our 'discussions' which involved a child like yourself, straight away leaving a personal message of "**** you ****ing piece of ****" on the others wall, you pathetic pleb.

So wait, the dweeb is not the person who refuses to answer every question put to him and thinks "every political leader in India has connections to Oxbridge" when in fact, bar the de-facto leader Singh (Sonia Ghandi is actually the leader of India) perhaps being just a few albeit prominent alumnus. Well done for using such a brash ignorant conclusion to form such a retarded view - have a look at some of the leading business leaders (who really 'make things happen' so to speak within the nation) and politicians, and most have American degrees with a lot of the more affluent, from HYP.

Bruv, u a rasclaaaat dawg :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So wait, the dweeb is not the person who refuses to answer every question put to him and thinks "every political leader in India has connections to Oxbridge" when in fact, bar the de-facto leader Singh (Sonia Ghandi is actually the leader of India) perhaps being just a few albeit prominent alumnus. Well done for using such a brash ignorant conclusion to form such a retarded view - have a look at some of the leading business leaders (who really 'make things happen' so to speak within the nation) and politicians, and most have American degrees with a lot of the more affluent, from HYP.

Bruv, u a rasclaaaat dawg :rolleyes:
    Yes they have degrees something which you don't and waste your entire life pretending so on TSR.

And I'm not so brash and ignorant to use 2 summers worth of internships as solid basis for academic judgement.

Also the only racist around here is you, you immature little fleabag. And it was you who began the "racial and insultive" mudslinging or does your memory not stretch that far back.

And perhaps my choice of words were the only appropriate ones I could think of for such an arrogant, pathetic, irritating little sperm like yourself. To use non-offensive language would actually be more insulting to you and judging by your behaviour you aren't worthy of that.

And you must have a very distorted view of those of Asian-subcontinent, Afro-Carribean heritage if you think we all talk like that "innit"?

Oh and one more thing, stop calling me bruv. I ain't your bruv Mr Wong.

LOL no doubt if you fail to get into Harvard you'll be hanging yourself. Can't bear to face another beating from the slipper of Mother Wei Wei. If you do decide to top yourself I'll give you the rope. One less ******* on the planet.

ReputationRep:
    I would love to go to Harvard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by u01sq7)
    Oxford,Cambridge, LSE, peking university, university of Aberdeen (Scotland)
    What?

ReputationRep:
    MIT
    Harvard
    Yale
    Stanford
    Caltech

ReputationRep:
    Hhahaha; really clutching at straws now aren't we?

You bumbaclat wasteman; go sip/poor some Alize for your lost brethren….

ReputationRep:
    Hhahaha; really clutching at straws now aren't we?

You bumbaclat wasteman breh; go sip/poor some Alize….
    LOL you crack me up. Poor little oriental kid.

P.S. You seem to have spent the whole day replying to my posts. I was just wondering do you actually have a life or do you just spend your time trolling internet forums pretending you're the next best thing since fluoxetine?

ReputationRep:
    LOL you crack me up. Poor little oriental kid.
    Awww, does it hurt when people are racist back to you?

Poor little black kid.

ReputationRep:
    P.S. You seem to have spent the whole day replying to my posts. I was just wondering do you actually have a life or do you just spend your time trolling internet forums pretending you're the next best thing since fluoxetine?
    HAHAHHAHAHHAAHAHA; you have to be a retard for that comment.

This coming from someone who posted a 4 paragraph/half page reply to one of my posts in 'anger' - my posts in reply to yours have been no longer than a few lines at most because I don't deem someone like you worthy of my time, but you have insisted on writing essays in yours.

I think we know who has "more time" on their hands (i.e. has no life) from that….

ReputationRep:
    - Chicago
    - USC
    - Illinois
    - Wesleyan
    - Columbia

ReputationRep:
    http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandre...ct-engineering
    http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsa...hools/rankings

I read the article once saying how US News finds which uni is better then the other, and they had a whole methedology to it which i do not remember but whatever it is it seems pretty accurate. Check these links out. (It says college but here college means uni. people don't really say uni)

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the purpose of this thread is to say which unis in the US are the best, but just which people think of first (i.e. which have the strongest rep outside of the US, I guess).

I'm a Canadian student, and the five US unis I thought of when I was applying were probably:

1) Harvard
    2) Princeton
    3) Yale
    4) MIT
    5) UC Berkeley

ReputationRep:
    Stanford
    Berkeley
    Caltech
    Harvard
    Brown

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Complex Simplicity)
    USC
    UC, Berkeley
    UCLA
    CalTech
    Stanford

Westcoast ftw
    Hahaha! I love this list as, I too, love the West Coast. California is just so amazing that I want to live there someday.

I've been to the campuses of Berkeley and Stanford, and, BOY! they're beyond compare. Nothing like them in the UK - huge, posh, rich, high-tech...

ReputationRep:
    Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, Columbia

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.