Abortion: are you pro-life or pro-choice? Watch

Poll: Pro life or pro choice
Extreme pro life: abortion, morning after pill & The Pill are always wrong (12)
2.67%
Pro life: Abortion is always wrong, the Pill & morning after pill are ok (21)
4.67%
Prefer life: Abortion is wrong, unless the life of the mother or baby is in danger, rape or incest (90)
20%
Pro choice: It is the mothers right to choose if to keep or not (327)
72.67%
sianmay
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm very pro-choice. If you can't afford to support a child or it will interfere negatively with your life in some way then I think anyone should have the right to abort it, particularly if contraception was used but failed.

Though to be honest, I don't think anyone can really judge until they've been in that situation.
ScheduleII
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm pro-life, I believe abortion=murder. The killing at Frankland was wrong but a woman who kills an innocent baby deserves a very long prison term. Someone in a high place in government should leak a list of NAMES of women who have had abortions, like Sarah's Law II.
Woffles
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jarred)
The fact that people like you think that death is a viable exit from a bit of socioeconomic disparity is amusing, actually scratch that, it's more worrying than amusing.

What you're saying is horrible, disgusting, and effectively just social engineering. If I was given a choice; grow up poor or never live then I'd have picked grow up poor. I'm growing up poor right now and I turned out alright. I can't believe you can advocate death over a hard life. If a child was growing up in a rich family, and then at 4 years old the parents suddenly lost their jobs and became poor, would it be best to murder the child? No, so it shouldn't be any different if that child is 20 week old foetus. Every child deserves a chance.

Besides, the whole argument can be refuted when an unwanted aborted child could quite simply be put up for adoption instead if it was necesary to avoid a bad life.
:congrats:
Will +rep when I've regenerated
Boobies.
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I chose 'Prefer life', but I think that I'm a little more 'choice' than that.

Just to put it in perspective, I think that if a sixteen year old girl gets pregnant, and has no idea of how to raise a baby, no financial stability or backing and doesn't have a strong emotional support system, I think it's OK for an abortion to take place - I don't think raising a child in such conditions is fair on the mother or child.

However, if a young couple (say, 20 years old) fall pregnant, and don't want the baby, but do have some money, I think abortion becomes somewhat morally wrong, but, it's just a general sort of line somewhere - all quite fuzzy.

Also a thing I should add - I think the cut off date for abortions is way too late. I personally think that 24 weeks is far too late to have an abortion, and think that around 12 weeks is the latest to have an abortion in cases that don't threaten the woman's life or won't cause her serious harm.

Personally, these are more guidelines for myself and just opinions I've formed. If I hear that anyone's had an abortion, I wouldn't form an opinion on whether it's 'wrong' or 'right', because I wouldn't know all the details, and there are hundreds of factors and emotions that come in to this sort of thing, so I think it's difficult to form an opinion on particular occasions unless you are the person going through it.
FuzzySheep
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm pro-choice, as long as there was contraception used responsibly which somehow failed. People who have sex with no contraception and expect everything to be fine (I know a few of these, and one girl in particular has aborted 3 times by the age of 17) are completely silly. It's irresponsible to think of abortion as a contraceptive method.
Annora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I'm pro-choice, as long as there was contraception used responsibly which somehow failed. People who have sex with no contraception and expect everything to be fine (I know a few of these, and one girl in particular has aborted 3 times by the age of 17) are completely silly. It's irresponsible to think of abortion as a contraceptive method.
What about ignorance? Many young people mistakenly believe the 'pull out' method or sex while on your period will not lead to pregnancy. I'm sure there are other myths out there, too.

You can't assume that all people who have unprotected sex and have an abortion are using abortion as their contraception. People make mistakes, especially when they're young. A 17-year-old shouldn't be forced to carry the burden of three children. If they're not able to take responsibility of having protected sex then they are hardly responsible enough to raise a child.

Not to mention, that isn't really enforceable. Anyone could just say their contraception failed.
darthgirlie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Before i did biology A-Level I was pro-choice but Ive selected pro-life from a point. I have no problem with women taking the morning after pill or the hormonal part of an abortion, at the end of the day you are just destroying cells which your body is doing off its own back anyway. The problem i have is surgical abortion- physically and violently removing anatomical parts of a human being, i watched a video as a part of my ethics course at a level and it is murder. The fact lies that babies have survived before the cut off point of an abortion and at the end of the day a baby is completely innocent in all proceedings. There is always adoption which to me is the most loving thing to do for all parties.
Shan<3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I guess i'm sort of pro-life. I think its always a baby and that where possible abortion should be avoided. I also don't think I could go through with an abortion. However I also think people really shouldn't judge unless they've been in that situation, thankfully I havn't, but being realistic, if I fell pregnant during uni, would there be much chance of keeping the baby? It's not something I want to think about. Don't see anything wrong with the MAP, as long as its for emergencies only.
I just don't think people should judge, I highly doubt anyone who gets an abortion finds it a decision to take lightly.
FuzzySheep
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Annora)
What about ignorance? Many young people mistakenly believe the 'pull out' method or sex while on your period will not lead to pregnancy. I'm sure there are other myths out there, too.

You can't assume that all people who have unprotected sex and have an abortion are using abortion as their contraception. People make mistakes, especially when they're young. A 17-year-old shouldn't be forced to carry the burden of three children. If they're not able to take responsibility of having protected sex then they are hardly responsible enough to raise a child.

Not to mention, that isn't really enforceable. Anyone could just say their contraception failed.
I agree, I think part of why abortions are becoming more common is because the quality of sex education in the UK seems quite low. I suppose I can only speak from my experience and from what I've seen on here and heard from others, but there isn't enough time devoted to teaching young people about sex and contraception. Then again, there is plenty of information available.

Your second point, I know not all people who have abortions and unprotected sex do it as contraception, it was just an example that I know of so I'm sorry if that wasn't clear! People do make mistakes, but surely if you're old enough to have sex, by the time you do you should be fully aware of how to avoid these mistakes? I think this is another thing to do with the sex education. But even so, there is information everywhere for young people nowadays about using contraception. Surely it should be up to the individual to find it?

I know it's not really enforceable though, it's just what I was thinking. I just think that young people should be taught to be more responsible, as well as seeking information and help for themselves before they make a decision because it is there. Being young isn't always an excuse imo, it seems that anyone could use that as an excuse too when seeking an abortion. It should stop being seen as something taken for granted, and should be used as minimally as possible. Sex education would really help this.
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm pro-choice. I don't feel it's anyone else's business other than the "mother" and "father".
SpiritedAway
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by LipstickKisses)
If you don't want a baby that has an abnormality, then don't have kids full stop as you're clearly not suitable. Yes she should be judged for it, as she is effectively saying &quot;my child's life is worthless because it's disabled&quot; How disgusting is that? That's like aborting a girl because you want a son. I don't agree with abortion at all, but having an abortion because your child is disabled is disgusting and shouldn't be allowed. Love for your kids should be unconditional, if you can't provide that then you're not suitable to be a parent.
It's nothing like aborting a girl because you wanted a son. I personally feel like it's more like pulling the plug when someone is on life support. You are ultimately freeing them. I know my grandmother had an abortion pretty late in the pregnancy because she was told that her child would be born disabled (90% sure). I forget the disability, but I do know that the child wouldn't have had a life. May have never learnt to speak, wouldn't have had been able to walk, spend its very short life in a wheelchair, would have never been able to experience the things other children would have done, and ultimately, most people who have this disability, die very young. I also know my grandmother had 6 miscarriages and didn't believe she'd conceive and ever have a child, so this 10% chance was a massive, massive thing to risk. I guess this is one of those things where you have to be in the position. I mean, it's different to abort a child who has a disability where they could actually enjoy life in their own way and may even life a long and happy life, just be different from other people. Then there's severe disabilities which means the child would have no life. Yeah, you might try to make them happy by taking them places, but if they can never experience it, then a parents decision should be respected. At the end of the day, if they didn't want the child, it would get an even worse life being stuck inside a children's home.
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Woffles)
:congrats:
Will +rep when I've regenerated
Thanks
Annora
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by FuzzySheep)
I agree, I think part of why abortions are becoming more common is because the quality of sex education in the UK seems quite low. I suppose I can only speak from my experience and from what I've seen on here and heard from others, but there isn't enough time devoted to teaching young people about sex and contraception. Then again, there is plenty of information available.

Your second point, I know not all people who have abortions and unprotected sex do it as contraception, it was just an example that I know of so I'm sorry if that wasn't clear! People do make mistakes, but surely if you're old enough to have sex, by the time you do you should be fully aware of how to avoid these mistakes? I think this is another thing to do with the sex education. But even so, there is information everywhere for young people nowadays about using contraception. Surely it should be up to the individual to find it?
Ideally, yes, if you're having sex you should be responsible. But clearly that isn't the case. Young people to irresponsible things all the time because they're, well.. young.

Yes, better sex education would help things - more of it and at an earlier age. But I think young people are always going to do stupid things. Everyone can look back on their childhood and remember with embarrassment the silly/immature/irresponsible things they did. The fortunately for most of us is that didn't end up in an unwanted pregnancy.
LipstickKisses
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
Aborting a baby because it has a major abnormality is NOTHING like aborting because it's not the sex that you want.
I am a student midwife and I see beautiful babies being born all the time and I know how much of a miracle it is.
However, I am pro choice and I always have been. It's amazing when you see a baby come into a world where they are so wanted and loved. I have been in some horrible circumstances where babies have died or been really poorly and it's upsetting but to me there is nothing more upsetting or heartbreaking than a baby being born to a family who do not want it, who will not love it or give it the life that it deserves.
I've read some of your other posts and think that your opinions are very extreme and harsh. You say that if you get pregnant by accident you should "deal with the consequences" and raise the baby whether you want it or not. In many cases the Mother will bond with her baby regardless of whether she planned to have it or not but that does not always happen.
In my opinion, having an abortion when the fetus is only a bundle of cells and nerve fibres is a much better option than bringing a baby into this world where it is unwanted and will always know that it is unwanted. For some girls having a baby will mean that they have to give up their hopes and dreams, leave education, run away from home, be disowned from their families... it's not always happy smiles!

I have been with Mothers who have made the difficult decision to terminate a pregnancy due to the baby having an abnormality.
I have also been with Mothers who have chosen not to have an abortion and to carry their baby to full term knowing that the baby will be incompatible with life and will die soon after or during the birth.
Both of these paths are so hard and there is so much grief surrounding it. No one just says "oh my baby is going to have an abnormality, never mind we'll get rid of it and try again!" They will grieve for years over this life that they have lost and no one has any right to judge them or tell them that they will be unfit parents and should never have children.
I have to disagree, sorry. A baby being born to a family who do not want it, sorry should have thought about that before you got pregnant. And ever heard of adoption? There are certain circumstances where I think abortion may be justified, but they are few and far between. A teenage girl that may get disowned, depending on the circumstances, that may be acceptable, as she and the child would probably starve. A teenage girl whos parents would accept her and her baby, that isn't acceptable. I have already said that if the baby will die at birth, then yes, an abortion is acceptable.

(Original post by SpiritedAway)
It's nothing like aborting a girl because you wanted a son. I personally feel like it's more like pulling the plug when someone is on life support. You are ultimately freeing them. I know my grandmother had an abortion pretty late in the pregnancy because she was told that her child would be born disabled (90% sure). I forget the disability, but I do know that the child wouldn't have had a life. May have never learnt to speak, wouldn't have had been able to walk, spend its very short life in a wheelchair, would have never been able to experience the things other children would have done, and ultimately, most people who have this disability, die very young. I also know my grandmother had 6 miscarriages and didn't believe she'd conceive and ever have a child, so this 10% chance was a massive, massive thing to risk. I guess this is one of those things where you have to be in the position. I mean, it's different to abort a child who has a disability where they could actually enjoy life in their own way and may even life a long and happy life, just be different from other people. Then there's severe disabilities which means the child would have no life. Yeah, you might try to make them happy by taking them places, but if they can never experience it, then a parents decision should be respected. At the end of the day, if they didn't want the child, it would get an even worse life being stuck inside a children's home.
If it would die at birth or shortly after, that is okay in my opinion. But aborting babies because they have minor to moderate disabilities is wrong. I'm 'disabled' and I have a perfectly happy 'normal' life. I don't see how anyone can say my life is worth less than someone else's because I'm disabled, and I find it offensive when people suggest minor/moderate disabilities are a valid reason for having an abortion, because it's as if they're saying there's less value to the life of someone like myself.
mariejulian
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I don't think anybody can honestly say they are completely pro-life unless they are vegan.
I think it's completely hypocritical to use the argument "life is life" when they are willing to eat eggs, meat or wear leather.
I am not vegan (I'm actually an avid meat eater) nor am I against abortion but I just wanted to put my point across here that alot of the arguments put forward by pro-life activists are to me hypocritical. And can you as pro life activists really use the argument of human over animal to then justify your resentment towards abortion? It may be true that due to evolution we are the higher species but you cannot justify 'saving' one life whilst you allow the destruction of another. After all many pro-life activists do use the argument a 'life is a life' so then what constitutes as a life.
I personally feel that up until there is a fully formed fetus, this is not a life. Abortion in the very early stages to me does not become killing.
rainbowbex
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
Just wondering, i tend to think most people are pro life.

Pro life = anti abortion, abortion should be illegal as it is murder
Pro choice = for 'the choice' of abortion to be avaliable

also how many girls age say 13 - 30 do you think have:

a) had abortions
b) used MAP (morning after pill)
c) are on the Pill

is it rare or common?
The oral contraceptive pill is definitely not an abortive, it a) prevents you from ovulating and b) alters your cervical mucus so the sperm simply can't get through.

The Morning after pill is also not an abortive, you're not pregnant til a fertilised egg embeds to the uterine wall. Duh.

I've used both MAP an COP
oh and *****, please I'm both pro-life and pro-choice.
blu tack
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rainbowbex)
The oral contraceptive pill is definitely not an abortive, it a) prevents you from ovulating and b) alters your cervical mucus so the sperm simply can't get through.

The Morning after pill is also not an abortive, you're not pregnant til a fertilised egg embeds to the uterine wall. Duh.

I've used both MAP an COP
oh and *****, please I'm both pro-life and pro-choice.
How is it possible to be both pro life and pro choice?
sceptic_medic
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Overpopulation is the single biggest challenge humanity faces today. As a result, I am very much pro-choice but still think that abortions should be allowed only up to a particular point, i.e when the foetus starts developing a brain and nervous system. Those of you who say life begins at fertilization and that every embryo is a potential life etc etc are wrong. Guys, every second your body destroys sperm that aren't used, so under that logic we are constantly destroying potential lives. Same with girls, every month you have a period that's another 'potential life' flushed down the loo. Basically every millisecond you decide not to have sex you are destroying potential lives.
I don't want to sound reductionist, (because surprisingly I do have emotions), but we have to realise that 'life' in itself is a word made up by humans; it is only a concept that we have conjured and many of us should think more about it's actual meaning. In my opinion, once you've developed a nervous system, can experience suffering, and have a definite stable family ready to look after you, that's where life begins.
PandaFaerie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I just thought I'd add something to this thread. I know this has been done to death.

Just over a year ago, I was raped by someone I knew (an acquaintance), and I became pregnant as a result. For all the people speculating on this, there really is no way to know for sure unless you're in that position, and from my perspective there really was no other choice. I knew I couldn't risk looking at my child every day and seeing it's fathers face, or remembering the night it happened. I personally could not have kept that baby, and abortion was the only way I could see. Adoption was not an option, since I knew I couldn't carry my rapist's baby for 9 months - that's a special kind of torture.

Generally though, I agree its over used, and I also agree that the father should get some say if the child was conceived without force.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (117)
80.69%
Leave (28)
19.31%

Watched Threads