Turn on thread page Beta

Girls, would you change your surname to your husband's when you married? watch

• View Poll Results: Girls,would you change your surname?;Guys, do you expect your wives to change theirs?
    Yes
    71.82%
    No
    28.18%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JongKey)
    I have a friend who's second name is Butt
    Is she Asian?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetobbit)
    Nah mate that will make ur children sound posh. Trust me Parkinson-Brown or watever sounds so upper class its not funny
    There aren't going to be kids, so shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not keen on my surname. Its long, foreign and reminds me that I have absolutely no knowledge of Polish language, geography or culture. I'd been quite keen to change it, tbh =) Big plus of getting married imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    I wouldn't. My mum didn't and she'd probably beat me with a stick if I changed mine. :lol: No, honestly I like my name and I don't want to change it. Women aren't "owned" by their husbands in our society now, so I can keep my name if I want. If I had kids, they could have the same thing as me, their mum's name as their middle name, their father's name as a surname. They can change that if they want. If I didn't have such a posh accent I'd go for a double-barrelled name, but I don't want to seem even posher than I already do.

EDIT: If guys are that bothered, just find a girl with the same last name.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my sister are the last generation of our surname, so if we both change our names it will be gone. But I think I would want to change my name

ReputationRep:
    I'm presuming that I love my partner if I'm marrying him, and I guess I probably would. Unless his last name was scabbybottom or something, or if he thought like this:

(Original post by JMJ19)
    I'd still be really offended if my girlfriend didn't take my name.
    I quite like my last name, and I'd like to have the choice and do it because it was a nice martial gesture, not because i was expected to and my husband would get upset/annoyed if I didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to know how many males would take their wife's surname.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my sister are also the last generation of our surname so if we both getting married, the name sort of goes with us, which is a shame.

But aside from that, my name is Ukrainian and I'm proud of those roots which is another reason I don't want to change it.

On the other hand though, I'm quite traditional and would love to get married one day, so I suppose the only solution is to get it hyphenated...

ReputationRep:
    I've been brought up to think that it's normal not to change your name when you marry and you're a woman. Doing an essay on feminism last week for my english class was really eye opening and taught me loads about it - and I still have no idea why a women would change their name on marrying. I certainly wouldn't expect a future partner to change their name upon marrying me, let alone, believe it or not, change their title to 'mrs'. 'ms' is fine with me. I women used to change their names because it showed that they were a possession of the husband - they are certainly not anymore, so why should they say that they are?

ReputationRep:
    I am in the process of changing mine.

Not because I think my husband owns me, or any other archaic notion. I think it's symbolic of our "union" that we now share the same surname. Now, you could argue that if we wanted to do that, he could change his name to mine, we could double barrel or pick a totally new name, but none of those felt right to us. I didn't really like my old surname, double barrelling was never something we considered, and I wouldn't want to pick a random name that meant nothing to either of us. It kind of makes me feel more part of his family too, without feeling any less part of my own.

I don't like being addressed as "Mrs" though.

ReputationRep:
    Where's the "Don't care" option?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schmokie Dragon)
    I'm changing my name, if only because my fiancé has a really cool last name. If I was the one with the cool last name, I'm sure he'd take mine. If we both really liked our last names, we'd keep them, etc.

In my case, the decision has very little to do with tradition or patriarchy. It's just what we both want to do.

I really dislike the idea that the woman *should* take the man's name, or that men will be offended if women don't submit to them in this way.
    I agree :yep:

Oh and btw, your sig is sexy

ReputationRep:
    I didn't vote because I'm not female, but I would expect my wife to change her name. I would be embarrassed and insulted if she didn't.

ReputationRep:
    I'd only take it if it was nicer than my current surname (which I don't really like to be honest). Changing to a double barrelled name might work but then wouldn't everyone have stupidly long names a couple of generations down the line?

I wouldn't like it if the guy got all offended by me not taking his name. It's just a name, and in any case it's my name, so it's none of his business what I call myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DawnAR)
    And kinda vice versa. Guys, do you expect your wives to change their last name to your own?
    No, my surname is a patronymic (my father's name) not an inheritable family name. Why would I make my wife take a name that means that she is the son of my father? In fact I would be very much against the idea of her taking my name and would not give my consent for it. No, I wouldn't take her name either even if it was a family name - to me that is a very emasculating thing to do and I would look down upon any man who took his wife's surname. I also think that double-barrelled names are ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    It's their decision, but I'd prefer it if they at least took a double surname with their own and mine. Just two surnames, not a double barrel, having a double barrel with surnames of two different languages would be odd.

I have my mom's surname so I can't really be one whining about some kind of tradition bull****.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to take on my fiance's name just because i am not attached to my last name and nor do i actually like it-his is so much better.

ReputationRep:
    yes, unless I don't like their name

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't be happy if he expected it of me but I'm not particularly attached to my name so it would depend on his name.
    I think the main reason people change their name is so if they have children everyone will share a name. I don't want kids so this wouldn't be an issue for me.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would! I like the idea of becoming Mr & Mrs "x" .... :blushing:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.