Turn on thread page Beta

Design tech (unit 6) - research paper watch

ReputationRep:
    Whether or not it's a trolley, i watched a video on how they are made earlier and here are the notes I took:

- Made from heavy duty steel/carbon wire
    - Jig loaders lay out wires into mesh
    - The mesh is spot welded together automatically
    - 20 tonnes of pressure and a jig bend the wire into a basket shape
    - A 'nibble' cuts the flashings from the edge of the mesh
    - 4m of steel is used and bent into shape for the base using brute force (again)
    - The frame is spot welded to the mesh
    - The item is then degreased
    - Electroplated first in nickel, then in chrome
    - Wheels/castors are riveted to frame
    - Additional components are added (to seperate front sections of trolley, child seat)
    - instructions (child safety on plastic folding seat) are heat pressed on

ReputationRep:
    sure, here is my anthop data of adults:

male and female max height: 1860mm
    male and female min height: 1515mm

so most males and females range between those hights.

male and female elbow max height: 1185mm
    male and female elbow min height : 940mm

the hight of the elbow is roughly how high you need the handles at.

hope that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    st-f that bearing stuff is awesome i think i love u hahaha

ReputationRep:
    im taking in a past paper to help with a few things. i might not use it at all but some of the things the person wrote in the past paper may prompt me when im stuck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Note)
    It doesn't state how much shopping it needs to hold. Obviously if it can only hold 1 bag of shopping then you won't match the spec, but I think a buggy that could hold 6 or so bags in a safe manner should suffice.

I will be making a mock paper all the way through sometime this week and then making adjustments to it next week. I'll scan it in if anyone would find it useful. Is anyone else doing this?
    dont suppos u can still scan that mock paper can u

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeee)
    sure, here is my anthop data of adults:

male and female max height: 1860mm
    male and female min height: 1515mm

so most males and females range between those hights.

male and female elbow max height: 1185mm
    male and female elbow min height : 940mm

the hight of the elbow is roughly how high you need the handles at.

hope that makes sense.
    excellent

Plus Jamsey has got a very valid point......

ReputationRep:
    whats everyone expecting? trolley or pushchair?

when did everyone start getting info?

i only started on saturday because before that i was studying for cad/cam and materials paper. which ended up crap cos most stuff on papers i hadnt learnt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeee)
    whats everyone expecting? trolley or pushchair?

when did everyone start getting info?

i only started on saturday because before that i was studying for cad/cam and materials paper. which ended up crap cos most stuff on papers i hadnt learnt
    EXACTLY!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm was talking to my teach (god thats painful to admit) and he mentioned how the unit 6 papers are susposed to be especially thick - and thus makes in so so so hard to trace through. Just warning people... as its prob best not to rely on tracing - anyway gd luck guys!! Oh and is the exam afternoon or morning? Because my school mucked up a few of the other exam times and just wanted to check.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry just to clarify that i meant the paper the test is writen on

ReputationRep:
    mine is at 1.30pm

ReputationRep:
    =) thanks for this heads up Foagal. good luck all. Thnx for the bearings stuff.
    I will post a ziped up vershion of all my data befor the night is out for those who are a little short on research. Take care all.

ReputationRep:
    using isometric/grid paper is a good idea

ReputationRep:
    thanks GoodQ

do we need to copy (by hand) diagrams of how a bearing works :confused: seems a bit pointless coz u buy castor wheels as components dont u?

ReputationRep:
    i know i dont really understand where bearings come into it either???

ReputationRep:
    bearings help the wheels go round,

without them they are really stiff and don't spin much

ReputationRep:
    I pretty sure the only two bearing systems that would be suitable are plain bearings and sealed unit ball bearings - the sealed unit ones coming with the wheels which are bought it.

Actual shopping trolleys have really effective large sealed ball bearing systems - due to the extreme weight they are subject to, and the massive amount of use - this is slightly OTT for a pram tho - with mosta the merc prams (called due to the 3 spoked wheel) only use plain bearings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momothelemur)
    bearings help the wheels go round,

without them they are really stiff and don't spin much
    ya thanks for that..........................

but surely that stuff is obvious, i.e. not inventive to simply copy a diagram of a bearing in the exam...

ReputationRep:
    heres a nice one for plastics:
    http://www.bpf.co.uk/bpfindustry/pro...#thermoplastic
    and on injection moulding, including suitible materials and aplications:
    http://www.bpf.co.uk/bpfindustry/pro...n_moulding.cfm

ReputationRep:
    i got all my paper done. in the question it won't tel u exactly wat to design as in a pushchair or trolly. ive designed two pushachairs and one foldable trolly. got the whole thing done apart from the evaluation page. will do it tomorrow as i have a bit of time before our test. Our teachers have been great with this test. Bit ****e with the CAD/CAM test, probably why i did **** ut did anyone notice that the materials test, 3 questions were exact from the 2003 paper, im so lucky cos i knew that paper. anyways away to bed. good luck tomorrow everyone

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.