Anti-Americanism Watch

Lawz-
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 12 years ago
(Original post by Made in the USA)
Oh, sure, the level of hatred is much more intense in France, but that doesn't change the fact that we are hated in both France and the UK.
Well of COURSE you can find people in the UK that dont like Americans. However I think you grossly over-estimate how many. As said, my fiancee has lived here for 7 years and has had precisely 0 incidents. Its not common at all.
Made in the USA
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Heh ... no not at all... the French are FAR more anti-Ameircan than the Brits... the Brits as a whole dont dislike Americans. My Fiancee is an American and has lived here for 7 years now. Never had ANY problems and her accent is a very strong one.
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the US is she from? I'm curious about what a strong american accent sounds like.
kizer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Well of COURSE you can find people in the UK that dont like Americans. However I think you grossly over-estimate how many. As said, my fiancee has lived here for 7 years and has had precisely 0 incidents. Its not common at all.
I'd like to refute that, pretty much everyone I know has problems with Americans on some level. Either it's foreign policy, arrogance, irritating accent, bad manners etc etc.
naivesincerity
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think it's anything like hatred, it's just Americans are (or are percieved to be)quite different in their mentality, social manner, etc, to the extent that Brits may find it harder to get on with them. Different meaning from Brits, but also Europeans.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Made in the USA)
If you don't mind me asking, what part of the US is she from? I'm curious about what a strong american accent sounds like.
California. Trust me - anyone who heard her would be in no doubt of where she was from.
Lawz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by kizer)
I'd like to refute that, pretty much everyone I know has problems with Americans on some level. Either it's foreign policy, arrogance, irritating accent, bad manners etc etc.
Well then you know a lot of people who dont know many Americans and or are bigoted. Accent? I mean come now... what a reason. Foreign policy? You mean they dont know how to differnetiate a national from a government?

I have a number of expat US friends in London - I have never heard ANY of them mention anti-americanism.
dead man's shoes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
I'd like to refute that,
'refute' is not a clever-sounding way of saying disagree with or deny. Just use one of them- or argue against, or anything. Refute means to prove something to be wrong- i.e. a falsifiable statement or hypothesis in philosophy, logic or mathematics- not to oppose an opinion.

You might like to refute it, but that's not what you've done. your anecdotal evidence of knowing people that dislike americans doesn't 'refute' anything nor could it hope to.
Longshoredrift80
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
I don't. I'm British and have lived in London all my life. I'm a fan of US foreign policy and date a proud American, love her cute accent and get on wonderfully with her family.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
Patients at insane asylums aren't as pro-American as they once were I see.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dead man's shoes)
'refute' is not a clever-sounding way of saying disagree with or deny. Just use one of them- or argue against, or anything. Refute means to prove something to be wrong- i.e. a falsifiable statement or hypothesis in philosophy, logic or mathematics- not to oppose an opinion.

You might like to refute it, but that's not what you've done. your anecdotal evidence of knowing people that dislike americans doesn't 'refute' anything nor could it hope to.

The most pointless post I have ever read. Granted it was the incorrect way of putting it, but I feel your overwritten, smug load of *******s was a clever-sounding way of avoiding what I had said.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by JonathanH)
I don't. I'm British and have lived in London all my life. I'm a fan of US foreign policy and date a proud American, love her cute accent and get on wonderfully with her family.
Fair enough. Do American tourists on the tube never grate at all?
dead man's shoes
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
your mum
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
Fair enough. Do American tourists on the tube never grate at all?
Do British tourists on the tube do that?
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Well then you know a lot of people who dont know many Americans and or are bigoted. Accent? I mean come now... what a reason. Foreign policy? You mean they dont know how to differnetiate a national from a government?

I have a number of expat US friends in London - I have never heard ANY of them mention anti-americanism.
I said ON SOME LEVEL. The majority of which are minor issues. I didn't say that all Britons thought Americans should be burnt at the stake!

And do you not have any accents that irritate you?
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dead man's shoes)
your mum
Much better.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
Do British tourists on the tube do that?
Either that's a joke I don't get or it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

You are aware what the tube is, right?
Lawz-
Rep:
?
(Original post by kizer)
And do you not have any accents that irritate you?
Of course, but that has no bearing on whether I dislike the people that have them.
Bismarck
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kizer)
Either that's a joke I don't get or it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

You are aware what the tube is, right?
Yes, it's the method of public transportation in London. You're not making the "typical American" mistake of assuming that Britain is composed solely of London, are you?
naivesincerity
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Bismarck)
. You're not making the "typical American" mistake of assuming that Britain is composed solely of London, are you?
That's also the "typical Londoner" mistake, judging by the attitude most people there seem to have.
kizer
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Lawz-)
Of course, but that has no bearing on whether I dislike the people that have them.
Then you are a stronger person than me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (115)
26.38%
No (321)
73.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise