Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    The old system was best, everything in spoilers with titles as to what the spoilers contained. It was pretty simple and let people choose what they wanted to read.
    Aye, people seem to forget that expand tags exist - I think it is helpful to have information on what is hidden.

ReputationRep:
    So I've just read that (50th Anniversary stuff)

Spoiler:
    Show
    the Zygons are going to be in the 50th Anniversary Special with David Tennant, Billie Piper, John Hurt and all of the usual lot.

I'm worried that because of how awesome and amazing the episode sounds, it'll be so much easy for Moffat to screw up and ruin everything for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)
    I miss the days of our ridiculous theories and almost obsessive episode analysis and speculation. :moon:
    You can still do it, just put it in a spoiler for **** sake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colonel.)
    You can still do it, just put it in a spoiler for **** sake.
    I don't think that was a dig at the spoilering debate, just unrelated nostalgia?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Watch Key Phone)
    I don't think that was a dig at the spoilering debate, just unrelated nostalgia?
    I wasn't having a dig either.

Ape will know that, we go way back.

ReputationRep:
    It's a kids show and we are no longer kids.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Abbieastoria)
    I actually never guessed that until the episode before it was revealed

I want Jenny back! They can't just have her fly off in a spaceship and never be seen again!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I loved Jenny, bet she's probably still tending her and Tennant's kid though!

ReputationRep:
    It's a kids show and we are no longer kids.
    It's a kid's show NOW. Matt Smith as the Doctor is too childish and stupid. When David Tennant played the Doctor, him being child-friendly was subtle, and you could tell that he was.

With Smith it's too overplayed and you're right, it's now a kid's show because most of the solutions to the problems (and saving the fricking world) is down to loving someone, it's ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chernid)
    It's a kid's show NOW. Matt Smith as the Doctor is too childish and stupid. When David Tennant played the Doctor, him being child-friendly was subtle, and you could tell that he was.

With Smith it's too overplayed and you're right, it's now a kid's show because most of the solutions to the problems (and saving the fricking world) is down to loving someone, it's ridiculous.
    I would say it's been a kid's show since the 2005 relaunch. I'm fine with that, kid's shows can also appeal to other demographics. At this point, it isn't appealing to me and I have a strong feeling that children don't like it that much either.

It's not even a bad show, it just doesn't know what it is.

ReputationRep:
    I would say it's been a kid's show since the 2005 relaunch. I'm fine with that, kid's shows can also appeal to other demographics. At this point, it isn't appealing to me and I have a strong feeling that children don't like it that much either.

It's not even a bad show, it just doesn't know what it is.
    I think the beauty of Doctor Who is that it works for all age groups. On the surface, it's a an extravagant time lord running around and saving the universe. On the other hand, there are deeper meanings and well hidden clues to future episodes/series that you couldn't expect kids to pick up on, let alone understand.

At the same time, I don't see why Matt Smith having a childish nature makes him any less adult-friendly. Personally I find it very amusing and endearing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's always been a kid's show. But it is possible for it to be a kid's show and a good show. Unfortunately it is now a kid's show but not very good.

And I don't think the problem is Smith. He's a really strong actor and his version of the Doctor's character is not inherently bad. I think it's mainly down to poor writing. I agree with chernid - everything is overly romanticised. Maybe it's just that Moffat thinks kids can't understand stories which aren't about love? Because his writing for Sherlock (for example) doesn't seem to have the same problem. (Though the sexism is still evident there.)

But I think the main problem with his writing in Doctor Who is that he tries to create overly complicated overarching plot stories, at the expense of individual episodes. I'm fine with a significant overarching plot because it brings the series together, but it has to be woven together carefully within the episodes, and with Moffat he seems to have trouble doing that. It ends up confused and messy in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    Speculation on 50th anniversary episode.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I saw a photo from the filming of the 50th episode earlier, with what looks like Tennant's Tardis parked in the middle of a field. My immediate thought was: the fields of Trenzalore? Although that is meant to signify the fall of the 11th so I'm not so sure.

Can't find the damned photo now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rascacielos)
    Speculation on 50th anniversary episode.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I saw a photo from the filming of the 50th episode earlier, with what looks like Tennant's Tardis parked in the middle of a field. My immediate thought was: the fields of Trenzalore? Although that is meant to signify the fall of the 11th so I'm not so sure.

Can't find the damned photo now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    More speculation on anniversary special...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I saw that photo too. Made me happy to see Tennant's Tardis there too! I assume that at some point we are going to get both Tardises, or rather the Tardis in 2 points of its time stream...

That also implies that it's actually the Doctor too, and not the human Doctor from the parallel universe - he didn't have a Tardis...

As for the fields of Trenzalore, I've always pictured them as being on an alien planet somewhere, no idea where, but not Earth. And so far everything has pointed to the 50th anniv show being set (predominantly at least) on Earth... Just my 2 cents though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    More speculation on anniversary special...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I saw that photo too. Made me happy to see Tennant's Tardis there too! I assume that at some point we are going to get both Tardises, or rather the Tardis in 2 points of its time stream...

That also implies that it's actually the Doctor too, and not the human Doctor from the parallel universe - he didn't have a Tardis...

As for the fields of Trenzalore, I've always pictured them as being on an alien planet somewhere, no idea where, but not Earth. And so far everything has pointed to the 50th anniv show being set (predominantly at least) on Earth... Just my 2 cents though!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah, I forgot that human Doctor doesn't have a Tardis. I wonder whether he's built one... It always imagined the story involving the human Doctor instead of the 'actual' Doctor, particularly because Rose is the companion.

I doubt those will be the fields of Trenzalore as well, although I have't heard anything about the 50th anniversary episode being set on earth... :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah, I forgot that human Doctor doesn't have a Tardis. I wonder whether he's built one... It always imagined the story involving the human Doctor instead of the 'actual' Doctor, particularly because Rose is the companion.
    :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There is a deleted scene from when they were on the beach where Tenant gives the human-doctor a 'seed' to grow another TARDIS. Although it may not come to pass like that as it was deleted ><

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    There is a deleted scene from when they were on the beach where Tenant gives the human-doctor a 'seed' to grow another TARDIS. Although it may not come to pass like that as it was deleted ><
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah yes, I think I've seen that. I'm convinced it's the human doctor in the 50th episode. It would be too much of a distraction from the storyline if they tried to explain how the real Doctor and Rose were back together... And it would ruin everything too, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yet more 50th speculation...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Ah yes, I think I've seen that. I'm convinced it's the human doctor in the 50th episode. It would be too much of a distraction from the storyline if they tried to explain how the real Doctor and Rose were back together... And it would ruin everything too, I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I just assumed it was from some random point before Rose getting trapped in the parallel universe. He's met his past selves before without causing continuity problems or objections about him remembering stuff... It would be cool to see the human Doctor though, especially to see how his character differs from the time lord Doctor...

Spoiler:
    Show

I doubt those will be the fields of Trenzalore as well, although I have't heard anything about the 50th anniversary episode being set on earth... :eek:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    The earth thing is entirely speculation, I haven't heard anything either it's just based on the few pictures that have come out, and the fact that the monsters are the Zygons, who work best on earth since they can morph into other things and therefore imitate people...

(Original post by Gjaykay)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Spoiler:
    Show
    That is *so* cool. Never heard that before!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    Yet more 50th speculation...

Spoiler:
    Show
    I just assumed it was from some random point before Rose getting trapped in the parallel universe. He's met his past selves before without causing continuity problems or objections about him remembering stuff... It would be cool to see the human Doctor though, especially to see how his character differs from the time lord Doctor...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't think of that. :eek:

It would be good to see the human doctor. It's a storyline worth exploring, if nothing else.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I didn't think of that. :eek:

It would be good to see the human doctor. It's a storyline worth exploring, if nothing else.

Spoiler:
    Show
    But not a storyline worth squeezing into a potentially already crowded 50th anniversary episode.

ReputationRep:
    Also about the 50th anniversary episode:

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've just rewatched the deleted scene about the Tardis seed at Bad Wolf Bay and on commentary Russell Davies says "I still wish it had happened though, so one day we'll put this one back in." Hmmm.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.