Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I got the binomial wrong will I still get rewarded marks if I get the correct answer with the values that I got?

ReputationRep:
    For the core 1 1/2 n^0.5 I got 1/2 170^0.5. You substituted in the minimum value to get AB^2 = 42.5 and then that somehow works out to 1/2 170^0.5

ReputationRep:
    New links are up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by solosdk)
    60 for an A in Core 1 i think

57 for an A in Core 2
    I think they'll both be lower than that to be honest, I've done easier past papers with higher boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Surely for the circle question the vector is [6, -7] as the second circle has center (-1,0) and the original has center (5,-7) so it's moved 6 units right and 7 down? Therefore [6 / -7] ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KoKiKo)
    I got the same answer for the integration, but most people seem to have got 27. I think we might have mad a mistake somewhere.
    Wow, that's actually amazing! I mean, the numbers seemed so ridiculous! Yet someone else got the same as me? That's quite interesting.

I don't know where I went wrong with the first integration, but the second part I think I went wrong by calculating the area of the trapezium incorrectly. Just a silly error of reading the info wrong. This is one reason why I hate exams. Careless mistakes can cost you a grade, and it's not a perfect reflection on reality at all. Meh. Haha.

By the looks of things, we both must have gone wrong in exactly the same place, and then a follow on error will have caused the rest to be wrong too. So there should be a good amount of marks available for method.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzfail)
    Surely for the circle question the vector is [6, -7] as the second circle has center (-1,0) and the original has center (5,-7) so it's moved 6 units right and 7 down? Therefore [6 / -7] ?

I agree with this. Unless the question asked for a translation from the original circle to the new one. Anybody remember?

I also agree with the way you wrote that post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuart_aitken)
    I agree with this. Unless the question asked for a translation from the original circle to the new one. Anybody remember?

read the question, it says 'the new circle equation' ONTO 'the old circle equation'.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophia Yeh)
    read the question, it says 'the new circle equation' ONTO 'the old circle equation'.....
    It says "Given that k has the same value as in part (a) (Which was 49), describe geometrically the transformation that maps the circle with equation (x+1)^2 + y^2 onto the circle C"

So circle with center (-1,0) ONTO circle with center (5,-7)

So translation 6 units in the positive x directions and 7 units in the negative y direction.

SURELY

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stuart_aitken)

Thank you! I got worried that I'd made a stupid mistake when I saw the "official unofficial" mark scheme.

And lololol I have no idea how that happened, hardly ever comment on threads on here!

ReputationRep:
    anyone know how many marks Q1 on Core 1 was? as it is not in the link at the beginning.

ReputationRep:
    Its about 8 i believe

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    thanks for sharing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophia Yeh)
    ?

Sorry, can't read the question as I didn't take the exam booklet home when I finished...........

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hit94)
    What was the proof for trig question at the end? I couldnt for the life of me do the last 2 parts on Q9
    Cant remember the exact question wording but... You had to use sinx/cosx=tanx then rearrange to get sinx=tanxcosx
    Then just sub in.

ReputationRep:
    For 5a part 2 - write down the minimum value for the expression 2x^2+6x+5 i wrote both the x and y co ords of the minimum - (-3/2 , 1/2) will i get the mark ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alifff)
    for x i got 3/2
    it was 2xsqrt3=3sqrt3--------so 2x=3sqrt3/sqrt3 wich cancels down to 2x=3 and so I got x=3/2 same as you! YAY!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Namch)
    For 5a part 2 - write down the minimum value for the expression 2x^2+6x+5 i wrote both the x and y co ords of the minimum - (-3/2 , 1/2) will i get the mark ?
    That's exactly what I did. And because of that, perhaps, I couldn't make any sense of the follow on question. I must start reading properly.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys, Im an Edexcel GCSE Examiner and many of my A-Level students have done the AQA C2 exam the other day and have asked me to explain Q3(binomials) and Q8(logs)
    I am just in the process of creating a youtube video and will upload it later this afternoon.
    I will post a message here when its ready.
    I hope you guys will find it helpful, and let me know if you'd like me to do it for any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    I found this exam so hard.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 15, 2013
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.