Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deziah)
    Anyone else shocked with their F322 result? I went through the mark scheme and I calculated that I'd lost 5-10 which would be around 135 UMS. The grade boundaries were pretty high so I thought maybe they'd been a little lenient with the mark scheme. Turns out I've lost 20 marks and I've got 117 UMS. I'm not going to cry about it, and in all fairness I'm no marking expert so I easily could have miscounted - but I really don't understand where I went wrong. I worked really hard to know my chemistry inside and out, but I still lost 20 marks. I got higher in exams that I wasn't as confident in, and it just shows how deceiving A-level exams can be.
    Exactly the same here! The exam went perfectly; there were no areas I felt I lost any significant marks at all. Yet I get my results back and it works out I got 83/100. Where did I lose 17 marks?! I have a feeling they have made the mark schemes really narrow; putting in rediculously pedantic things so as to catch out people in order to overalls reduce everyone's score.

Script back and a remark is in order here.

ReputationRep:
    i was predicted an A for economics for both papers; markets in action and global economy and was getting As all year but some how managed to get a B and a C

Did anyone else experience unexpected results in economics OCR??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inneedofhelpp)
    i was predicted an A for economics for both papers; markets in action and global economy and was getting As all year but some how managed to get a B and a C

yes! I got a B in F582 economics... I expected a high A

ReputationRep:
    I agree... There's a crackdown :nooo:

At least we know to work harder now :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I agree... There's a crackdown :nooo:

At least we know to work harder now :emo:
    This may be the case for you but for people like me I literally gave everything into that econ exam so simply saying work harder now is a bit of generalisation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    yes! I got a B in F582 economics... I expected a high A

i ended up with a C only 1 ums off a B

im in a dilema whether to get them both remarked cus with both F581/2 i thought i was guaranteed an A and even a high A on F581

ReputationRep:
    i ended up with a C only 1 ums off a B

im in a dilema whether to get them both remarked cus with both F581/2 i thought i was guaranteed an A and even a high A on F581
    Ah it sucks, the stupid thing is the boundaries were so high, do OCR just like to make over 70% of the cohort get below expected grades by setting high boundaries for reasonably tough exams. I bet the markscheme was also picky as always... Luckily I sat
    F581 in jan and got 84ums which combined with F582 make me scrape an A. I do feel very sorry for you though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smko)
    Yeah i did OCR Too! I got an A in one paper and a C in the sources wbu ?
    We did the 1846-94 Gladstone and Disraeli paper and the 1054-1130 First Crusade. Everyone did really well on the Gladstone paper (i got 100% UMS wtf!!) but we thought it was the hardest. The crusade paper was the problem where no one seemed to get an A grade, just 1 below the grade boundary even though that was supposed to be the strong paper!!

ReputationRep:
    This may be the case for you but for people like me I literally gave everything into that econ exam so simply saying work harder now is a bit of generalisation
    Don't mess up calculations!

ReputationRep:
    Don't mess up calculations!
    I forgot my millions and billlions D: and that was worth 2 marks, not a wopping 13 or so

ReputationRep:
    I forgot my millions and billlions D: and that was worth 2 marks, not a wopping 13 or so
    :eek::lol:

Tbf. I dunno whar else I could have done in my history exam... Bar one question where I wrote too little probably on the thing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turnip storm)
    So, have you finished uni?
    Haha, traumatic experience

I use to go rock climbing and i would like to get back into it!
    I know this is a stupid question, but is university fun and can you make friends easily? I'm moving so far away from where i live and i don't want to be lonely
    It's depends on so many variables. If you love drinking/partying/getting drunk and all that then it's easy peasy to make friends. I wasn't really into all that and am really really shy in real life so i found it really hard to make friends. Also I kinda didn't have anything in common with the private school kids so couldn't make friends with them. Even with grammar school kids it was hard, but i found a normal working class person or two and it was wicked hanging out with them We used to ***** together about all the toffs and how stuck up they were, and how full of themselves they were hehe

I'm sure you won't be lonely. .

ReputationRep:
    :eek::lol:

Tbf. I dunno whar else I could have done in my history exam... Bar one question where I wrote too little probably on the thing...
    Probably that then haha. I actually am really thankful for a TSRians advice on the history exam (I took a risk on it) and it worked out as 90% as opposed to 64% dw just resit or remark one of them and you'll get it or you can keep it as a B which is fine

ReputationRep:
    I think some subjects had it worse than others, I feel I did well with AAD, but IT was ridiculous to get a D in, I got an E in the coursework and I was top of the class.

ReputationRep:
    Probably that then haha. I actually am really thankful for a TSRians advice on the history exam (I took a risk on it) and it worked out as 90% as opposed to 64% dw just resit or remark one of them and you'll get it or you can keep it as a B which is fine
    But that would only have been 24 marks... And I would have had at least 15:lol:

The others I thought I smashed :lol:

I'm definitely remarking... If nothing happens, I'll leave it as a B!

ReputationRep:

YES!! Predicted A in both, and got C and D... getting both remarked. I'm not even joking when i say Economics is my strongest subject, i got near full marks in all the past papers and i found the exams a breeze. very suspicious.

ReputationRep:
    I got a big mixture... AABCE.. so was happy with some, and not happy with the others..

ReputationRep:
    A lit more than 24 students were kicked out last June for exam results in my college.....literally almost half the year....anyone with more than one fall, U or more than three E's I think....

ReputationRep:
    Deleted post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I like school)
    I actually did get an A but seriously that was the hardest paper I have ever sat, all the practices I did I breezed but that one I felt like it was weird questions and the second one was about one of the leaders right? (can't remember which one) and I just felt that it was super specific and odd. The other paper I did horrendously on though, felt like a hard year for history.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Congrats Yeah that't true, it was Mazzini unexpectedly. I did okay-ish on it - just being harsh on myself. I thought the Period Studies paper was odd, the question about Wolseys rise to power was just weird, never seen a question like it before. Before I get carried away, did you do the paper from Henry-Mary?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.