The Student Room Group

Oxford MAT 2013/2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zhy
I honestly don't recall having to use any of those things when doing MAT papers. Even in STEP, they're very rarely needed.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Part III, Q3, MAT 2008. I had a query regarding this one. Is it necessary to find the value of 'c' using the graph? I found it much easier to set x-c=t and changed the limits of the integral accordingly. The limits became functions of 'c' and I differentiated the integral and set it to zero.
On a side note, you can also directly differentiate under the integral sign with respect to the parameter 'c' to get the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Besides, how important is the MAT for an international applicant such as me? If I score well on the MAT and have good predicted grades in Math, will I get in? I don't really like Chem and my grades in Chem are B-ish. Do I stand a chance if I get a good score on the MAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 262
Original post by journeyinwards
Besides, how important is the MAT for an international applicant such as me? If I score well on the MAT and have good predicted grades in Math, will I get in? I don't really like Chem and my grades in Chem are B-ish. Do I stand a chance if I get a good score on the MAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes. Ace the MAT and you've an excellent chance.
Original post by CD315
Yes. Ace the MAT and you've an excellent chance.

Oh, okay. Also, is there any marking scheme according to which I can mark myself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 264
Part III, Q3, MAT 2008. I had a query regarding this one. Is it necessary to find the value of 'c' using the graph? I found it much easier to set x-c=t and changed the limits of the integral accordingly. The limits became functions of 'c' and I differentiated the integral and set it to zero.
On a side note, you can also directly differentiate under the integral sign with respect to the parameter 'c' to get the same answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't looked at the question, but generally before you apply a technique that is outside the syllabus (I'm not sure if they specify what that is for the MAT), you should (to be safe):

-State the theorem or formula you're using
-State and justify why it is applicable to the question
-Make clear every step in your reasoning

It is up to you whether or not it is worth the time and effort to follow these steps, or to try to find the intentional solution. I would only use such a technique as a last resort.
Original post by Zhy
I haven't looked at the question, but generally before you apply a technique that is outside the syllabus (I'm not sure if they specify what that is for the MAT), you should (to be safe):

-State the theorem or formula you're using
-State and justify why it is applicable to the question
-Make clear every step in your reasoning

It is up to you whether or not it is worth the time and effort to follow these steps, or to try to find the intentional solution. I would only use such a technique as a last resort.

Thank You. Btw, do we receive MAT scores via email?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 266

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't know, sorry. I didn't sit the MAT.
Reply 267

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, you won't find out unless you're desperate to know and ask the tutor at the college (although they won't tell you during interviews).
Original post by Noble.
No, you won't find out unless you're desperate to know and ask the tutor at the college (although they won't tell you during interviews).

That reminds me. I'm an international applicant.
I must send the UCAS form and write the MAT as the first step right? Then, based on my app+MAT, I'll be shortlisted/rejected for interview, or is it different?
And, how are international applicants interviewed? Skype?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 269
That reminds me. I'm an international applicant.
I must send the UCAS form and write the MAT as the first step right? Then, based on my app+MAT, I'll be shortlisted/rejected for interview, or is it different?
And, how are international applicants interviewed? Skype?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Everyone sits the MAT before interview. Interviews are given largely based on MAT performance (and offers can be largely given on the basis of excellent MAT performance). I believe most international applicants are interviewed over Skype, but if you can attend Oxford for the interviews I would recommend it.
Can anybody help with the following question? It is the very last part that I am stuck on.
this is from early mat paper
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
Everyone sits the MAT before interview. Interviews are given largely based on MAT performance (and offers can be largely given on the basis of excellent MAT performance). I believe most international applicants are interviewed over Skype, but if you can attend Oxford for the interviews I would recommend it.

Oh, alright. Thank you.

I still don't know which college to apply to :s-smilie: Generally,which college is good for math? Which college has the toughest/easiest interview? I read some article where the author said that they ask abstract riddles and puzzles in interviews instead of real mathematics questions. Is that true? :redface:

Also, if I apply to some college and don't get accepted, will my application be sent to the others automatically? Or do I have to apply to each of the colleges I want to apply to?

Sorry for the large number of questions, I have absolutely no help but for this forum! :smile:
Original post by nahomyemane778
Can anybody help with the following question? It is the very last part that I am stuck on.
this is from early mat paper

The two integrals are essentially equal. The odd powers of x are odd functions {i.e. f(x)=-f(-x)}, which when integrated over [-1,1] (or any [-a,a] for that matter) will be zero. So, in both the integrals, the only term that will have a non-zero value on integration is the x^2 term and hence, they are equal.

Atleast that's what I think!
The two integrals are essentially equal. The odd powers of x are odd functions {i.e. f(x)=-f(-x)}, which when integrated over [-1,1] (or any [-a,a] for that matter) will be zero. So, in both the integrals, the only term that will have a non-zero value on integration is the x^2 term and hence, they are equal.

Atleast that's what I think!

thank you - isee exactly what you mean - you can rewrite the second as

the integral of (x^3 - x) + the integral (x^2 -x)

the first is odd function so by your reasoning will be 0 when integrated between 1 and -1 . So the the second integral is 0 + the integral of (x^2-x) which is really the first integral so they are both equal

I still don't know which college to apply to :s-smilie: Generally,which college is good for math? Which college has the toughest/easiest interview? I read some article where the author said that they ask abstract riddles and puzzles in interviews instead of real mathematics questions. Is that true? :redface:
Also, if I apply to some college and don't get accepted, will my application be sent to the others automatically? Or do I have to apply to each of the colleges I want to apply to?
Sorry for the large number of questions, I have absolutely no help but for this forum! :smile:

Hi. I think you said somewhere that you're interested in the joint M&CompSci course too, so hopefully this will be useful to you (although it's still broadly applicable to straight Maths applicants)

*Advice on choosing a college: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/choose_college.html
Pick one college that you like and apply there, or make an open application. If you get to interview stage you will automatically be interviewed by a second college that we assign you. Tutors from all of the colleges will have access to your application.

We work very hard to make things fair across the colleges. The tutors work together to take the best candidates no-matter which college you apply to. Really, you should be thinking about which college would suit you best -- not which is the easiest to get into! If you can't decide it's fine to make an open application.

*Information on interviews, including sample questions: http://www.cs.ox.ac.uk/ugadmissions/how_to_apply/interviews.html
Reply 275
Just had a nightmare on the 2010 paper.. Disaster :facepalm:
Reply 276
Original post by CD315

That was the paper I took :tongue:

What went wrong?
Reply 277
Original post by Noble.
That was the paper I took :tongue:

What went wrong?

6 out of 10 on the multiple choice, followed by screwing up questions 2 and 5 :lol: Reaallyy hope Imperial aren't looking for high marks in this.
Reply 278
Original post by CD315

What exactly is a disaster? 6/10 on Q1 + Q3, Q4 OK is not bad, I make that (guessing, obviously):

Q1: 24
Q2: 5
Q3: 10
Q4: 10
Q5: 5

i.e. 54, which isn't too far off the shortlisting for an Oxford Interview, is it? Don't be so hard on yourself, and at least you've learnt from it now...
Reply 279
Original post by shamika
What exactly is a disaster? 6/10 on Q1 + Q3, Q4 OK is not bad, I make that (guessing, obviously):

Q1: 24
Q2: 5
Q3: 10
Q4: 10
Q5: 5

i.e. 54, which isn't too far off the shortlisting for an Oxford Interview, is it? Don't be so hard on yourself, and at least you've learnt from it now...

Average for successful Oxford Applicants that year was 69. I should be getting much higher than 54! Most other papers I've done have ranged between 75 and 90.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending