Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what Leicester's policy on people who resit AS modules during the A2 year. I'm a reapplicant so I have full A Levels but I resat AS modules during during my A2 year. Will my application be affected in any way?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shiam)
    oh seen ..

can you tell me little bit more about deffered entry ???
    Well I applied in last year's cycle for 2013 entry. Then in January I wanted to defer so I contacted the universities I had applied to and they changed it on my UCAS form so that it now said 'starting in September 2014'. Most people apply straight away for deferred entry as on your UCAS form there is a tick-box which asks if you are deferring or not. I hadn't even considered taking a gap year when I applied. Deferring entry to Leicester is not an advantage or disadvantage and you won't be scored or interviewed any differently from those applying for regular entry. Deferring is an issue at some universities but I think that's just Oxbridge.

(Original post by http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/msce/undergraduate/medicine/faqs#FAQ11)
    Q. Can I defer my application?
    A. You may, if you wish, apply for deferred entry. If you have not applied for deferred entry but subsequently wish to defer, you should notify us immediately in writing: [email protected]

We are happy to accept deferrals for the 5 year course. However, we do not consider deferred entry to the 4 year course.
    (Original post by minhle20)
    Does anybody know what Leicester's policy on people who resit AS modules during the A2 year. I'm a reapplicant so I have full A Levels but I resat AS modules during during my A2 year. Will my application be affected in any way?
    I resat two AS exams in July with my A2 exams. I emailed them to check it would be alright before I did it and they said "As long as your A2 Levels are awarded by September 2013, that would be perfectly fine."

For future reference: those wanting to resit some AS exams with their A2 exams, this is fine and doesn't affect your application with Leicester Medical School, as long as all AS and A2 exams are taken within the two years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)
    I resat two AS exams in July with my A2 exams. I emailed them to check it would be alright before I did it and they said "As long as your A2 Levels are awarded by September 2013, that would be perfectly fine."

For future reference: those wanting to resit some AS exams with their A2 exams, this is fine and doesn't affect your application with Leicester Medical School, as long as all AS and A2 exams are taken within the two years.
    Cheers, I was filling in my UCAS form and suddenly realised I had resat some AS modules. I almost had a panic attack.

ReputationRep:
    Should I apply with 57? Leicester looks so nice

If the cut off is 58 and I get 57 will they look at my ps or do I get rejected?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    Should I apply with 57? Leicester looks so nice

If the cut off is 58 and I get 57 will they look at my ps or do I get rejected?
    They would score your personal statement in that event.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone just confirm my score? I think I got 57.

At GCSE
    A*A*A*A*A*AAAA (A*s in Biology, Physics, English lit, Sociology and RE) (As in English language, Maths, Chemistry and German)

At AS I got AAAA and 695 UKCAT
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsbehonest)
    Can someone just confirm my score? I think I got 57.

At GCSE
    A*A*A*A*A*AAAA (A*s in Biology, Physics, English lit, Sociology and RE) (As in English language, Maths, Chemistry and German)

At AS I got AAAA and 695 UKCAT
    Yep you got 57

ReputationRep:
    Does the academic cut off increase each year? If I apply I'd have recieved 57/60 for ukcat/as grades/gcses and wondering if its worth a shot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)

x
    Hey, I'm looking to apply for deferred entry to Leicester this year. Any tips for me? I've written a short paragraph on what I might do in my gap year (Volunteering, work, OU course)

would that me enough?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamegoblin0)
    Does the academic cut off increase each year? If I apply I'd have recieved 57/60 for ukcat/as grades/gcses and wondering if its worth a shot
    I think it did increase from last year. Even if it does go up by 1 this year they'd still score your personal statement. If you're confident in your PS and you like Leicester then I'd say it's worth but then again, I'm bias. You have to decide yourself whether it's worth taking that risk.

(Original post by star10159)
    Hey, I'm looking to apply for deferred entry to Leicester this year. Any tips for me? I've written a short paragraph on what I might do in my gap year (Volunteering, work, OU course)

would that me enough?
    I asked to defer after I sent my application, so I didn't mention it in my PS at all. In the email to ask to defer, I just said I was planning on going abroad for the year to au pair in spain and learn Spanish (which I'm no longer doing haha) and they were fine with that immediately. You'd only need 1-2 sentences saying "I'm deferring entry so that I can _____." If you have space you could mention that what experience or skills from working, volunteering etc but I don't think that's really necessary. I'm not entirely sure, so take what I've said with a pinch of salt!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else going to the open day today?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to declare our unit grades?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyk89)
    Anyone else going to the open day today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I did haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k1rby)
    x
    Hi, I may apply hear this year. My score is 57/60. Do you think they will raise the cut off this year?

ReputationRep:
    I think I have a score of 58 not sure, i got 29 points from my 5 a* and a at gcse, that gives me 29 but I can use of one of my a's at AS to make that 30. Then I got 2860 in the ukcat so that's 28. Total of 58? Correct me if I have made a mistake please :P What are the chances of me getting an interview?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrownWizard)
    I did haha
    What did you think?

I suppose I might have seen more on a medicine specific day but I felt it was a bit lacking. The medicine talk was basically just the admission criteria
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrownWizard)
    I think I have a score of 58 not sure, i got 29 points from my 5 a* and a at gcse, that gives me 29 but I can use of one of my a's at AS to make that 30. Then I got 2860 in the ukcat so that's 28. Total of 58? Correct me if I have made a mistake please :P What are the chances of me getting an interview?
    I think you have a fairly decent chance. The cut off has been 57 the last two years so even if it rises by one you should be ok.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A random human)
    Hi, I may apply hear this year. My score is 57/60. Do you think they will raise the cut off this year?
    It has been 57 the last two years. The problem is there is no way of knowing what this years will be. What are your other choices like? If your others are pretty risky then maybe not but if you have a couple of "safer" options I would give it a go

ReputationRep:
    It has been 57 the last two years. The problem is there is no way of knowing what this years will be. What are your other choices like? If your others are pretty risky then maybe not but if you have a couple of "safer" options I would give it a go

My other choices are Sheffield, Nottingham and not super sure of the last few. I may choose manchester. I got a decent UKCAT (720) so trying to apply to unis that will put me at an advantage because of this. However i dont wish to apply London.

I know i will most likely get an interview for sheffield, nottingham and manchester. Im much beyond the ukcat requirements, and i got a solid PS. Not only this but i already have the grades (garp yaar).

I wanted to apply lancaster because a very close friend of mine who i have been friends with for a many years is also going, and it would be brilliant to continue the friendship, but they dont take ukcat into consideration and i feel i may have less a chance of getting into lancaster.

Southampton now require very high ukcat score. From what i remember, they said they take the 500 highest ukcat scoring applicants and invite them for interview. I feel 720 doesnt cut being in that group :/ Shame since its such a nice uni too.

ReputationRep:
    What did you think?

I suppose I might have seen more on a medicine specific day but I felt it was a bit lacking. The medicine talk was basically just the admission criteria
    yea i went to the open days in summer which I was going to apply to but changed my mind as i got a better ukcat score than expected, but the open days then were so much better and more informative. However leicester uni itself is soo nice!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.