Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Does the number π really exist? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sidhant Shivram)
    What do you mean by "exist"? It's a number. Other than certain technicalities, it isn't very different from any other number, 2 or 3 or something like that.

I assume you want to know what pi represents. It's basically the ratio of the circumference of a circle to it's diameter. It is a constant for a circle of any radius. It'll always be approximately 3.14.

If you want to know how this number is obtained (I assume that's what you meant by "proof"), find out for yourself. A simple technique would be - draw a circle (of a large radius preferably), take a thread, measure it's circumference and divide that value by the diameter. You'll see that you get 3.14 more or less.

Hope this helps (:

Sent from my iPhone
    Okay, thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james22)
    Pi is a real number! I have already proven that on this thread.
    Yeah, you did.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noble.)
    Your definition of an 'imaginary number' might be different, but the real difference is no-one gives a toss about your definition of an imaginary number :rofl:
    Hahahaha... I can't force anyone to believe me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nocoolusername)
    mathematicians say what. It is a number 3.14159265.

Chemist say what is is not a number it is a bond. It is the second bond in a double bond.

Source
    AS knowledge

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sometimes,mathematicians are just like females having got a period. It's kinda hard to understand them, really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    Absolutely right...something material. Pi and other numbers can be real in your mind. Numbers are just some of imaginary things used to help human beings to do everyday activities. Human beings create numbers by using their imaginations and high intelligence.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If that is how you define "exists" (a very acceptable definition) then no number of any form exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    (c) I asked that question because I wanted an answer. You seem to be oscillating between being nice and thankful to me for providing answers to your questions and being an irritating **** who takes delight in repeatedly posting stupid *******s.

(d) I am a student. You aren't making any sense.

Just read the god-forsaken answers you've been given for Christ's sake. If you don't understand them then then ask for clarification or go learn something rather than just ignoring them and asking even more idiotic things.
    Okay, I believe you are a student. But those asterisks are the clear evidence that shows something bad about yourself. You should learn how to control yourself! And I just ignore stupid answers that could make me an idiot. Thanks for your reply, student.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skunkboy)
    Okay, I believe you are a student. But those asterisks are the clear evidence that shows something bad about yourself. You should learn how to control yourself! And I just ignore stupid answers that could make me an idiot. Thanks for your reply, student.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are prejudiced and likely ignorant if you think swearing indicates a lack of self-control and is "clear evidence" of "something bad".

I contend that the patronising and childish behaviour that you have exhibited in this thread is far more convincing evidence of "something bad".

ReputationRep:
    Okay, this is the last post from me...

Oh Pi.. oh Pi.. I don't know why
    You linger in my mind
    Just a ratio, just two lines
    I'll miss you till the day I die

Thread closed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.