Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

University 2015 Entry Maths Applicants Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mathsfreak8162)
    Anyone know why I have an offer for computer science instead of maths (which I applied for) at Durham? Is it a mistake or is it and alternative hahah
    Definitely contact them and ask, could be a mistake as you can't expect a flawless application process xD If it's an offered alternative, which I doubt, they would've stated that pretty obviously

ReputationRep:
    Applied to: Durham, Birmingham and Cardiff
    Offers received: Durham, Birmingham and Cardiff (all unconditional)
    Firm choice: Durham
    College: Josephine Butler (hopefully)
    A-Level grades: A*A*AB (M/FM)
    GCSE grades: 5xA*, 6xA, Distinction in OCR ICT and A in Additional Maths FSMQ

😁

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone here applied for maths at Edinburgh?

ReputationRep:
    I've recived a conditional offer from Imperial and Warwick for Math & Stats,anyone got the same offer too?
    -trying to choose between them-same suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got an offer for maths at strathclyde?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kieranrafferty1)
    Has anyone here applied for maths at Edinburgh?

i have, have you heard anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mmms95)
    is attending the UCL open day compulsory???
    Yh it is part of the offer. Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorelei96)
    I've recived a conditional offer from Imperial and Warwick for Math & Stats,anyone got the same offer too?
    -trying to choose between them-same suggestions?
    Hi, I got Imperial Maths+Stats A*A*AA and Warwick MMorse (also stats) A*AAe. It depends on whether you want a very rigorous education (then choose IC) or are just interested in Banking (then Warwick will suit you more)

I firmed Imperial, and back as Warwick stats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iPixelBlue)
    Hi, I got Imperial Maths+Stats A*A*AA and Warwick MMorse (also stats) A*AAe. It depends on whether you want a very rigorous education (then choose IC) or are just interested in Banking (then Warwick will suit you more)

I firmed Imperial, and back as Warwick stats
    Thanks a lot for your reply! I am an international and I got AAA +grade 2 in STEP 2 and A*A*A from Warwick. I have to choose one of them. As insurance I have Bristol A*AA and lancaster AAA

ReputationRep:
    Applied to: Manchester, Lancaster, Leeds, Heriot-Watt and Manchester Metropholitan
    Offers received: All conditional
    Firm choice: Don't wish to disclose it right now
    College: -
    A-Level grades: Hopefully 3As (M,FM, ICT)
    GCSE grades: A - Maths, B - Stats, others are meh

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone!! Who has decided to firm/insure Exeter and how is everyone finding their exams?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how much emphasis is put on the 3rd subject at bath? I'm doing maths, further maths and physics. I think I'm going to get A*A*C. The offer is A*AA. Will the C mean a definite no or will the 2A*s make up for the C? I'm so worried and really want to go to bath. How can I be good at math but suck at physics??????? I don't get it btw I'm doing physics in 1 year.

ReputationRep:
    Best Laptops for maths?
    I can't write well, it's a problem with fine motor control. Therefore I have always used a laptop to take notes. Starting undergraduate maths in a few weeks (subject to grades). Is there any aspect of spec which experience suggests would help me handle the non text aspects of note taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rayquaza17)
    You aren't expected to read all of the book for the module it's recommended for; you are only supposed to read the sections relating to that module. I have textbooks that are 600 pages long and I only understand around 30 pages after completing first year mathematics.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in studying at Newcastle, feel free to ask me questions. (But hardly anyone on TSR studies maths at Newcastle )
    Hi sorry I know this was ages ago but can you tell me what the maths course is like at Newcastle? I visited it recently and really liked the atmosphere of the uni in general but I can't really tell with the course. Thanks
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mke)
    Hi sorry I know this was ages ago but can you tell me what the maths course is like at Newcastle? I visited it recently and really liked the atmosphere of the uni in general but I can't really tell with the course. Thanks
    They've recently changed it from when I started but the course is quite good. Most of the lecturers are really friendly and other students are really friendly. Most of the lectures are based in the Herschel building so you never really have to rush around to get to your next lecture.

When I started (and I'm sure it's still the same now), first semester isn't a massive jump from a level maths. They introduce you the course and university maths quite nicely and there's not that much pressure.

I found there were loads of opportunities on the course as well. Like I got the chance to do some maths research over the summer, and they're always emailing us about things like volunteering in schools, talks by employers, basically loads of things that would be of interest to maths students.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.