Cristiano Ronaldo
    3.68%
    Floyd Mayweather Jr
    0%
    Other
    18.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LightBlueSoldier)
    Laszlo cseh did it too. There are tons of swimmers in the US alone currently who have the London oqt in all 4 strokes. Admittedly these times are not fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    OQT's are set nationally though so Hungary's are easier than the USA's which is why I omitted him. As you said qualifying is a whole different ball game to winning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chazwomaq)
    Phelps should get no votes.

He was at swimming, sure, but the only reason he gets so many medals is because (for some reason) swimming has different events for different strokes. I can't think of any other sport that does this.

A race is to get from point A to point B as quickly as possible. To arbitrarily add rules like "now you have to go backwards" or "now you have to flap your arms like a chicken" is ridiculous. Imagine if these were added to the 100m: not only would it be comical, but Usain Bolt would still win, and he'd be the one with 20 Olympic golds.
    Are you stupid?

Each stroke is a completely different discipline just like how in athletics the long jump is completely different to the high jump or how the shotput is completly different to javelin. The different distances also add another element of discipline so being good at 100s does not mean you're going to be good at 400s etc. You don't see Usain Bolt competing in the 400m do you? Let alone winning it.

In Beijing when he won 8 gold medals, Phelps was required to swim something like 20 races in his heats, semi-finals and then finals. What other athletes do you see competing 20 times in a single Olympics? Not only did he win all 8 events he entered but 7 out of 8 of them he got world records in as well as an olympic record in the eighth.

For Usain Bolt to even be comparable to Phelps, he should be winning his usual string of events along with maybe another track event or two such as the hurdles or 400m and then a couple of field events as well like the long jump and high jump.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pete_91)
    OQT's are set nationally though so Hungary's are easier than the USA's which is why I omitted him. As you said qualifying is a whole different ball game to winning.
    Cseh has international medals in 3 of the 4 strokes. And a time in the other stroke that could get him a medal in euros.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Cseh has international medals in 3 of the 4 strokes. And a time in the other stroke that could get him a medal in euros.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am aware of this, the reason I focused mainly on Phelps/Lochte was because they are the best examples. Cseh is awesome though I'm a big fan of him.

ReputationRep:
    where kobe at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    We're talking about sport.
    I think as much as a admire Ali outside of the ring, I admire him just as much in the ring. The guy was a genius.

if I were given a choice about which Sport legend I could watch in their prime, I would choose Ali over Pele, Federer, Maradona, Sugar Ray Robinson etc. That said the world never saw Ali in his prime because he was banned from boxing because he stood up for his beliefs.

Also he fought in the best heavyweight division ever with killers like Frazier, Foreman, Liston etc and he beat them all, he lost one to Frazier but came back to win the rematch. That's a true sign of a great champion no? That too when Smokin Joe was in his Prime and Ali was slightly older. I'm not saying Joe Frazier is bad, I admire the guy and he was one of the greatest boxers of all time. Look what Foreman did to Frazier, and then look what Ali did to Foreman.

There have been great fighters in the ring like Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray, Tyson etc but for me at least, Ali tops the lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by just a dad)
    That would be the Wimbledon final where Federer, again, lost to one of his main rivals?

Don't get me wrong, Federer is a wonderful ambassador for tennis and a class act, but he isn't the greatest ever tennis player* let alone overall sportsman.

*That would be Rod Laver.
    out of interest have you ever seen laver play?

ReputationRep:
    Well you clearly weren't alive when he played.

I seriously doubt that there was any real competition back then. A couple of decent players and a load of rubbish. Just like golf.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well said

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)
    I think as much as a admire Ali outside of the ring, I admire him just as much in the ring. The guy was a genius.

if I were given a choice about which Sport legend I could watch in their prime, I would choose Ali over Pele, Federer, Maradona, Sugar Ray Robinson etc. That said the world never saw Ali in his prime because he was banned from boxing because he stood up for his beliefs.

Also he fought in the best heavyweight division ever with killers like Frazier, Foreman, Liston etc and he beat them all, he lost one to Frazier but came back to win the rematch. That's a true sign of a great champion no? That too when Smokin Joe was in his Prime and Ali was slightly older. I'm not saying Joe Frazier is bad, I admire the guy and he was one of the greatest boxers of all time. Look what Foreman did to Frazier, and then look what Ali did to Foreman.

There have been great fighters in the ring like Rocky Marciano, Sugar Ray, Tyson etc but for me at least, Ali tops the lot.
    Wouldn't you also call Mayweather a genius? For what he's accomplished and how he's changed the game in terms of money making. He's practically carrying boxing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZSHNZ)
    Wouldn't you also call Mayweather a genius? For what he's accomplished and how he's changed the game in terms of money making. He's practically carrying boxing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He's a great boxer without doubt but he is not the greatest of all time in terms of fighting. Also he ducked Manny, something none of the great fighter ever did. It was akin to Ali ducking Frazier.

In terms of money making, nobody beat Floyd Money Mayweather. But as a boxer he is not the GOAT, maybe in the top 10 or top 15.

I would rather watch Pac Man in his prime than Mayweather. Just my opinion, I think if they fight now, Floyd will win it purely based on his boxing skills. Back 3-5 years and Pac Man would KO him.

But Yeah, Floyd is a genius when it comes to money making. He's no mug in the ring either, otherwise he would have been embarrassed like Broner A great boxer, but he made some mistakes and ducked some fighters which give rise to doubts about his creditability as the greatest of all time.

ReputationRep:
    Well you clearly weren't alive when he played.

I seriously doubt that there was any real competition back then. A couple of decent players and a load of rubbish. Just like golf.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by JPD96)
    out of interest have you ever seen laver play?
    I am probably one of the few on here who has seen Laver play. 1969, when he beat John Newcombe (who went on to win the next two Championships) at Wimbledon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Each stroke is a completely different discipline just like how in athletics the long jump is completely different to the high jump or how the shotput is completly different to javelin. The different distances also add another element of discipline so being good at 100s does not mean you're going to be good at 400s etc. You don't see Usain Bolt competing in the 400m do you? Let alone winning it.
    I don't have a problem with the different distances. But different swimming strokes are not the same as 100m vs 110m hurdles, because you are forced to do some arbitrary different action with your body rather than face an obstacle or use a piece of equipment. If there were swimming event where you had to dive under pontoons or something, I suppose I would be fine with that.

But a race should be how fast you can get from A to B. No restrictions on how you move your own body.

For Usain Bolt to even be compressible to Phelps
    I don't want to compress any athletes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kutta)

Ali lost to Frazier, beat him when the ref allowed him to hold Fraziers head all fight long, and the Rumble in the Jungle should have been a draw, both fighters were unfit to continue. If Foreman had any brain cells he would have backed off and taken a massive UD. So it was more Foreman losing that than Ali winning. He was also completely outboxed twice by Ken Norton, should have been KO'd by Cooper in the 60's. Dont get me wrong, ATG heavyweight, but overrated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Ali lost to Frazier, beat him when the ref allowed him to hold Fraziers head all fight long, and the Rumble in the Jungle should have been a draw, both fighters were unfit to continue. If Foreman had any brain cells he would have backed off and taken a massive UD. So it was more Foreman losing that than Ali winning. He was also completely outboxed twice by Ken Norton, should have been KO'd by Cooper in the 60's. Dont get me wrong, ATG heavyweight, but overrated.
    "Should have been KO'd by Cooper in the 60's"

Noice joke m8

Personally I think Joe Louis is the greatest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Lol that Ronaldo has more votes than Tiger Woods.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ESPORTIVA)
    "Should have been KO'd by Cooper in the 60's"

Noice joke m8

Personally I think Joe Louis is the greatest

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ali was flat on his back and was lucky that he was saved by the bell.

Joe Louis greatest heavyweight? Or greatest of all time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    Ali was flat on his back and was lucky that he was saved by the bell.

Joe Louis greatest heavyweight? Or greatest of all time?
    yes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.