Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    Look at Rome and Greece afaik before Christianity attitudes to this were pretty liberal, although their methods were much more messed up.
    Rome and Greece were still religious though. Besides the fact that I don't see why you can't have non religious based opposition to abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limetang)
    Rome and Greece were still religious though. Besides the fact that I don't see why you can't have non religious based opposition to abortion.
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    NO. There are many kids in orphanages and around the world who need a family. Let's give them one. Abortion is the woman's choice and only hers to make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rosie786)
    No need for personal attacks.
    You want to ban something because YOU don't agree with it - how conceited and arrogant. Personal attacks? You want to force your view on other people, so you can't claim the moral high ground.

ReputationRep:
    Never. Not your body? Not your choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)
    You want to ban something because YOU don't agree with it - how conceited and arrogant. Personal attacks? You want to force your view on other people, so you can't claim the moral high ground.
    Everyone has their own opinions that doesn't make them conceited and arrogant. Also I have right to hold an opinion as much as you have a right to hold yours. So please :talkhand:

ReputationRep:
    I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?
    No way. I can see your point about couples who can't have children, gay couples etc etc but still, even when abortion is legal people do choose to give birth and give the child up for the adoption but i think it's important that abortion is legal. I would expect that if abortion would be made illegal there would be too many unwanted (i dont really like to use that word but it kind of fits because if someone aborts their baby... its pretty obvious they didnt want it) children brought into the world as it would be likely a lot of people would rely on adoption and so the ratio of couples wanting children and children being brought into the world for adoption would not match, as there is a lotttt of abortions.
    If you made a women who didn't want to have the baby but had no choice give birth, not only would it be pretty harsh on the women but the child also would not have a very good quality of life so i personally think it wouldn't be fair to bring a child into the world when it will not have a good quality of life. Also, i know this sounds pretty like.. not particularly a very good moral reason but the world population is increasing, and with it the demand for every day necessities, but this is obviously hard to cater for with especially regarding things like conservation etc etc (i know i dont particularly sound like i know what i'm talking about but im tired and you probably get it kind of).. so basically we really do not need more people in the world, so if theres a life that is being brought into the world purely because someone else demands it to be here regardless of how ****ty its quality of life is, well.. thats just unfair.
    And with rape victims, i know you kind of mentioned this, but you can't avoid that as there is s o many cases and that is pure torment for both the rape victim and the child created. that would cause a lot of psychological damage for both.
    Aswell as the fact that the baby will live inside the womens body for 9 months, and she has full rights and responsibility of it so if she decides she wants to abort the child, then so be it. Theres plenty of more reasons but i feel like i'm writing a little essay now so i'm going to stop, but yeah..

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has their own opinions that doesn't make them conceited and arrogant. Also I have right to hold an opinion as much as you have a right to hold yours. So please :talkhand:
    This seems like a trolling attempt to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    I know its legalised in UK under the 1967 act but should it be repealed?

There are so many couples who are childless as the women cannot conceive or gay people who would love to adopt children. Isn't it better to give birth to the child and then put him/her up for adoption if the child is unwanted?

I know there are rape cases but putting them aside. Now a day i have seen women just aborting the child because they don't want to take care of them?

Your thoughts?
    I can see what you're getting at morally, but I also think that it could affect the woman if they were made to carry. Say a teenager got pregnant, they would then have to go to school, most likely be bullied and miss some school days. Then there's the possibility that giving up the child could affect the teenage mum (or dad) deeply when it comes down to actually giving the child up.... Basically I think it's quite a topic with both positive and negatives and therefore abortion should be kept legal. This allows the decision to beleft up to those involved and would be a case by case kind of thing (i.e. one's financial/emotional situation may influence their decision).

I saw it previously mentioned about the number of orphaned children there are already and I think that is a fair point. For all I know (as I don't know the figures for number of abortions) making abortions illegal may result in more children on the streets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwertyking)
    This seems like a trolling attempt to be honest.
    :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No, I think the parent should have that choice. It's down to their beliefs and ideas. I wouldn't really like to bat any corner, I'm quite in the middle about it, I can see both sides. However, I do lean slightly more to the side that is for abortion because sometimes, the parents just aren't capable of caring for the child they're pregnant with and that child will just have an awful life. That's why I think it's best left to the parent because they know their situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    ...babies can be born as early as 23 weeks whilst the legal limit [for abortion] is 24 weeks.
    Three years ago, it was under 22 weeks. I'm not sure what the earliest survivor is now.

I gave a breakdown of the major time-lines of development as they pertain to this debate earlier in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2344277)
    yeah it can survive with respiratory support in ICU. i meant survive normally. be healthy without medical intervention. their organs arent fully developed at this stage so there's no way a baby premature at 24 weeks could live on it's own- so technically it's still a fetus in my opinion
    (Original post by limetang)
    There's no way any baby could live on it's own. The fact it needs medical intervention to survive says absolutely nothing about the personhood of it.
    A person's organs don't fully develop until they are in their late teens.

Many people alive in the western world today would not be alive without medical intervention, whether that is for influenza, diabetes, or any number of problems that modern medical practice solves. I don't think these things can be used as a measure for whether someone is a person who has the human right to life, or is a sub-human without the right to life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachu)
    NO. There are many kids in orphanages and around the world who need a family. Let's give them one. Abortion is the woman's choice and only hers to make.
    Do you think it right that she alone can decide to terminate a man's child, regardless of whatever psychological effects that might have upon him, or to keep a child he doesn't want and force him into having to pay for it for 18 years?

(Original post by JayJay-C19)
    No, I think the parent should have that choice. It's down to their beliefs and ideas. I wouldn't really like to bat any corner, I'm quite in the middle about it, I can see both sides. However, I do lean slightly more to the side that is for abortion because sometimes, the parents just aren't capable of caring for the child they're pregnant with and that child will just have an awful life. That's why I think it's best left to the parent because they know their situation.
    You are mixing 'parents' and 'parent' here.

Which is it, do you think, should have the choice? One one parent or both?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darien)
    Three years ago, it was under 22 weeks. I'm not sure what the earliest survivor is now.

I gave a breakdown of the major time-lines of development as they pertain to this debate earlier in this thread.
    Damn.

And this is what some people are 'aborting'. At 22 weeks.

Makes all the 'but my life is so difficult. I just want to have sex' arguements look really stupid imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darien)
    You are mixing 'parents' and 'parent' here.

Which is it, do you think, should have the choice? One one parent or both?
    That depends. If the man is actually involved and what not then he should have a bearing on the decision. The woman, however, if she has had a one night stand or what not and doesn't see the man again, she alone can make the choice, I think.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Damn.

And this is what some people are 'aborting'. At 22 weeks.

Makes all the 'but my life is so difficult. I just want to have sex' arguements look really stupid imo.
    Except I am convinced (and the caption under the picture proves it) that that is what the child looked like after months in hospital care. That child looks like a full-term baby, not a premature one, and certainly not one that's as premature as 22 weeks.

So no, that's not 'what people are aborting at 22 weeks'. That's what people would be aborting at 35+ weeks. Which, as well all know, is illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWorldEndsWithMe)
    Except I am convinced (and the caption under the picture proves it) that that is what the child looked like after months in hospital care. That child looks like a full-term baby, not a premature one, and certainly not one that's as premature as 22 weeks.

So no, that's not 'what people are aborting at 22 weeks'. That's what people would be aborting at 35+ weeks. Which, as well all know, is illegal.
    Still it's a living baby at 22 weeks. Which other people are aborting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayJay-C19)
    That depends. If the man is actually involved and what not then he should have a bearing on the decision. The woman, however, if she has had a one night stand or what not and doesn't see the man again, she alone can make the choice, I think.
    ye I think if you're in a marriage, the man should have some say.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Still it's a living baby at 22 weeks. Which other people are aborting.
    Except those sorts of abortion only usually occur when the mothers life would be endangered by carrying it to term, at which point you're arguing for a potential child possibly surviving (I've not got the stats to hand, but as I recall survival rates for children where the mother dies in childbirth are quite low) over a woman's life - most abortions happen in the first trimester.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.