Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by christina___21)
    Hello, I am a soon to be IB student from Cairns Australia.
    I have a dream, a big one I suppose. To study Law at Cambridge!!!
    I am so glad I can send this to you.
    I have to choose my subjects very soon and I know that it is a crucial aspect.
    Hope you could please give me some advice.

Would this look good on the application?

Italian ab SL
    Maths SL
    Business SL or
    Chemistry/Physics SL (Would doing Business be better or a second science? I have heard business isn't very preferred but I do enjoy it)

English HL
    Biology HL
    Geography HL (My school doesn't offer History unfortunately or Economics)

I really want to study in Cambridge so much and I hope you can give me advice.
    Any suggestions on this subject choice??
    Hi there, good luck with your IB studies over the next two years. The good thing about a Law degree is that there are no specific subjects that you need in order to apply. There are a myriad of route into the Law and therefore you have free choice (within what your school permits).

Your chosen subjects all look like good solid academic subjects. Regarding Physics/Chemistry SL or Business SL, it really doesn;t matter and you should do the one you will enjoy the most and feel you will do best in.

I hope that is useful.

ReputationRep:
    Just to remind everyone that this thread will close on Sunday, so please get your questions in before then if you have them. Another thread will open in late August so there will be another chance then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ's Admissions)
    Just to remind everyone that this thread will close on Sunday, so please get your questions in before then if you have them. Another thread will open in late August so there will be another chance then.
    Hello,

I'm from Slovenia, and I've been diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Depression in January 2014. I've been having problems with panic attacks and worrying excessively for three or four years prior, but was never diagnosed until my best friend's younger sister died in a car accident and my condition got worse rapiddly.

My marks went up and down for quite a while, but I managed to get things under control and I'm now a straight A student. Nevertheless, I'm really affraid that my condition will be seen only as an excuse.

I will be taking the following subject for my Maturitetno spričevalo: Psychology, Biology, Maths, Slovene and higher English. It is my dream to study PBS at Cambridge. Do I have any reallistic chance of getting in, or will it be too optimistic if I apply in October?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AilurophileKris)
    Hello,

I'm from Slovenia, and I've been diagnosed with GAD (Generalised Anxiety Disorder) and Depression in January 2014. I've been having problems with panic attacks and worrying excessively for three or four years prior, but was never diagnosed until my best friend's younger sister died in a car accident and my condition got worse rapiddly.

My marks went up and down for quite a while, but I managed to get things under control and I'm now a straight A student. Nevertheless, I'm really affraid that my condition will be seen only as an excuse.

I will be taking the following subject for my Maturitetno spričevalo: Psychology, Biology, Maths, Slovene and higher English. It is my dream to study PBS at Cambridge. Do I have any reallistic chance of getting in, or will it be too optimistic if I apply in October?

Thank you for taking the time to answer my question
    Hi there, providing that you are likely to achieve mostly 5s in the Maturitetno Spricevalo then you will be in with a reasonable chance of success.

We don't regard any medical condition negatively or as an 'excuse' used by candidates - they are not things that students can help so it would be unfair to disadvantage them because of it.

What is important, however, is for you to decide whether Cambridge is the right place for you. The work pressure is very hard here and a great deal of emphasis is placed on exams, it is not always the best place for those who are prone to very bad anxiety. If you feel that your GAD is amangeable then Cambridge is a great place to study and we will do all we can to ensure that it is were you to be accepted but ultimately it is a decision for you about what is the best environment to allow you to excel.

I do not in any way wish to put you off, I just think that it is important that you know what you are going into.

ReputationRep:
    Is it true that decision module marks are not included when averaging maths marks (ive seen this mentioned by some people including offerholders on here)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Is it true that decision module marks are not included when averaging maths marks (ive seen this mentioned by some people including offerholders on here)
    This is not true. Decision module marks are included in Maths averages. We do look at individual modules scores, however, as we as just the average and are less concerned with Decision module scores than with Pure or Mechanics modules (or Stats for people applying for Economics).

ReputationRep:
    This is not true. Decision module marks are included in Maths averages. We do look at individual modules scores, however, as we as just the average and are less concerned with Decision module scores than with Pure or Mechanics modules (or Stats for people applying for Economics).
    Which module should I do out of FP3/S3 and D2 sir?

I am a prospective Econ applicant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fnatic NateDestiel)
    Which module should I do out of FP3/S3 and D2 sir?

I am a prospective Econ applicant
    Either FP3 or S3 would be good.

ReputationRep:
    Either FP3 or S3 would be good.
    Thanks sir

ReputationRep:
    How important are Irish Junior Cert results and could the interviewer ask about 5th year in-house test results? Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simmyneutron)
    How important are Irish Junior Cert results and could the interviewer ask about 5th year in-house test results? Thanks.
    They are useful information and we use them like we do GCSEs for those without qualifications like the IB. It's unlikely that you would be asked about in-house results in the interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hello, first of all I would like to say thank you for all your efforts in undertaking these threads and answering all queries, I have used last summer's equivalent before my application cycle which I found immensely helpful.

This post is on behalf of my friend who is currently contemplating whether it's worth applying or not. She is considering Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences and would be applying after completing A2s. Her GCSEs are 10A*s and an A, and at AS received 277/300 in Physics and 268/300 in Chemistry with Bs in the Coursework for both (if that matters). Her maths scores last year were C1 - 100, C2 - 98, C3 - 90, FP1 - 100, S1 - 97, M1 - 78. This year she resat M1 and C3 and felt M1 has vastly improved (full or close to full UMS), whereas C3 didn't go as smoothly and she's unsure on whether she has improved on that front.

For her other maths modules this year she feels she has gotten 100s in C4, M2, FP3, around 96-97ish in S2, around mid 80s in FP2 and D1 unsure but she think it didn't go as well as the others. Lastly she's confident of full UMS in both Physics exams this year yet unsure on the coursework element, and as for Chemistry feels like one of the units went catastrophically which could potentially bring down her whole grade. So in this scenario she predicts that she has gained A*s in Maths, FM, and Physics but A/B borderline in Chemistry. She didn't apply to Cambridge first time round but holds offers from other universities for Chem Eng, she's wondering whether her application would be worthwhile in both outcomes for Chemistry? Given that it's a vital subject for Chem Eng. Excuse my lengthy post.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from doing maths challenges and reading around the subject, is there anything else you would suggest in order to supplement my PS for maths?

ReputationRep:
    In your second year at christs is there the option to flat-share with friends?

ReputationRep:
    Hello there, I'll be applying for chemical engineering via physical nat sci, and upon that decision, due to the mathematical intensity of the course, im self studying further maths as my school are not able to provide lessons for me. I've decided to take further pure 1 and Mechanics 2, but for my third module, would it be better to take fp3 or mechanics 3? (AQA exam board). Im asking because the fp3 unit contains quite a bit on differential equations which im aware is quite useful for engineering, however would mechanics 3 be better for helping me cope with the course considering that its an extra mechanics module?

ReputationRep:
    Is it therefore beneficial to have scores of 100% or close to 100% in two pure modules, even if Stats is considerably lower i.e. 85% (albeit through unfortunate circumstances)? That is to say, are you particularly impressed by scores like these or does it ultimately come down to the average?

(Not applying for Economics)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Hello, first of all I would like to say thank you for all your efforts in undertaking these threads and answering all queries, I have used last summer's equivalent before my application cycle which I found immensely helpful.

This post is on behalf of my friend who is currently contemplating whether it's worth applying or not. She is considering Chemical Engineering via Natural Sciences and would be applying after completing A2s. Her GCSEs are 10A*s and an A, and at AS received 277/300 in Physics and 268/300 in Chemistry with Bs in the Coursework for both (if that matters). Her maths scores last year were C1 - 100, C2 - 98, C3 - 90, FP1 - 100, S1 - 97, M1 - 78. This year she resat M1 and C3 and felt M1 has vastly improved (full or close to full UMS), whereas C3 didn't go as smoothly and she's unsure on whether she has improved on that front.

For her other maths modules this year she feels she has gotten 100s in C4, M2, FP3, around 96-97ish in S2, around mid 80s in FP2 and D1 unsure but she think it didn't go as well as the others. Lastly she's confident of full UMS in both Physics exams this year yet unsure on the coursework element, and as for Chemistry feels like one of the units went catastrophically which could potentially bring down her whole grade. So in this scenario she predicts that she has gained A*s in Maths, FM, and Physics but A/B borderline in Chemistry. She didn't apply to Cambridge first time round but holds offers from other universities for Chem Eng, she's wondering whether her application would be worthwhile in both outcomes for Chemistry? Given that it's a vital subject for Chem Eng. Excuse my lengthy post.
    Hi there, thanks for the question and I'm glad you found the threads last year useful.

It's difficult to give certain advice without knowing her A2 results, without seeing the rest of her application and without knowing how strong the rest of the field will be. It sounds to me like she will be in the middle of the candidate list in terms of AS and A2 marks which means that her application could go either way.

The real question she will need to think about when she gets her A Level results is whether she is happy to take a year out and do UCAS all over again. If she gets 3 A*s she should get offers from her four other universities without too much difficulty I would think but I can't say for certain either that she has no chance or that she is a shoe-in at Cambridge. It's whether she is happy to take that risk and spend that year out or if she would rather bank the offers she already has.

One thing that may help her is that even for Chemical Engineering, Maths is more important than Chemistry and Physics is on a par/only slightly below in importance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Osc10)
    Aside from doing maths challenges and reading around the subject, is there anything else you would suggest in order to supplement my PS for maths?
    I think personal statements are less important for Maths than they are for other subjects, all that really matters is how good you are at Maths, so just do as much Maths as you can over the summer in whatever format you are able and talk about that in your PS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bafid)
    In your second year at christs is there the option to flat-share with friends?
    Yes, we have college-owned houses in King Street and Jesus Lane, which are one and two streets away from college and aroud half of second-year students decide to live with their friends in one of these houses. These are a lot closer to college than the second-year housing of many other colleges which ensures that second-year students still very much feel part of the college community while having that freedom and independence of not being on the main site.

Very few undergraduate students in Cambridge choose to rent on the private market (i.e. not in college housing) because a) there isn't that much of it b) it is much much more expensive and c) it is generally a lot further away from the centre than college housing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZeroSuitJawa)
    Hello there, I'll be applying for chemical engineering via physical nat sci, and upon that decision, due to the mathematical intensity of the course, im self studying further maths as my school are not able to provide lessons for me. I've decided to take further pure 1 and Mechanics 2, but for my third module, would it be better to take fp3 or mechanics 3? (AQA exam board). Im asking because the fp3 unit contains quite a bit on differential equations which im aware is quite useful for engineering, however would mechanics 3 be better for helping me cope with the course considering that its an extra mechanics module?
    I think either would be helpful in preparing you for the course, so it is up to you which you would prefer/think you will do better in.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.