Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm one mark away from the A* grade in human biology. Should I ask for a remark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Piplup)
    Hello, I took edexcel IGCSE English language B and I got an A at 75/100
    But the A* grade is at 77 and the B grade is at 72 so I'm somewhere in between the two grades. Do any of you think I should ask for a remark? There is only one paper)
    I'm getting a remark for my English language gcse, i'm 6 marks off a B and 5 off a D. It ultimately depends on how you felt the exam went. I felt that i should have at least got a B in mine!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Bhullas03)
    I got 2A*s, 7As, 3Bs and a distinction I got close a couple of times to the next grade but they are also close to the lower grade boundary. Are my grades good enough for a medicine course? And should I get some exam papers remarked? Thanks.
    If they are close to the lower boundary, I wouldn't suggest a remark.

Those grades are also fine for Medicine.

Hello, I took edexcel IGCSE English language B and I got an A at 75/100
    But the A* grade is at 77 and the B grade is at 72 so I'm somewhere in between the two grades. Do any of you think I should ask for a remark? There is only one paper)
    I wouldn't ask for one here tbh - there is a risk it could go down.

Hello, I'm one mark away from the A* grade in human biology. Should I ask for a remark?
    It is unlikely for the marks to change in the sciences so I'd leave it personally.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should, to be honest. There is a chance that you will get one more mark and I reckon it's worth the money if you're willing to spend it.

P.S. I never knew penguins studied human biology.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    In Geography I am 3UMS off an A* and was wondering is it worth considering a remark?

I got 100UMS/ A* in 2 units

An A in another and finally a B in Unit 3 (Dicision making)

Any opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turbo1)
    Hey,
    In Geography I am 3UMS off an A* and was wondering is it worth considering a remark?

Any opinions?
    I got a remark in geography and i'm 9 ums off an a*(4 marks). Anything can happen in geography because of all the 6-8 mark questions.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    I did AQA additional science and got a B. Individually it was a A in coursework, A in biology and A in chem with the only B in physics, some how i got a B overall and worked out i was 1 UMS mark off an A. Im definitely getting it remarked do you think there is a good chance it will come out as an A

ReputationRep:
    in stats i am 6 ums of an A* does anyone think i have a chance of moving up a grade if i remark?
    also can coursework be remarked for any subject without the whole class having to be remarked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomroberts12)
    I got a remark in geography and i'm 9 ums off an a*(4 marks). Anything can happen in geography because of all the 6-8 mark questions.

Hope that helps
    Thanks, I'm going to sleep on it tonight but am looking for any others who got a similar result or is in the same situation to see what they're going to do or did!

Thanks for your advise though
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by give me info)
    in stats i am 6 ums of an A* does anyone think i have a chance of moving up a grade if i remark?
    also can coursework be remarked for any subject without the whole class having to be remarked?
    Coursework can't be. 99.9% sure on that.

6ums feels like a bit too much for a maths base exam. Something like English which is more subjective can have a larger change but for maths where the answer is typically just right or wrong it is less likely.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    Hey,

Any opinions?
    I'd personally leave it tbh - an A grade is still very, very good and 3 UMS is a fair amount. However, if you plan on taking Geography a bit further and if you have a bit of money to spare, then you may as well go for it.

I'd just leave it - the chance of it is too low to justify IMO.

It depends. If the coursework was marked externally then yes, it can be remarked. If, however, the exam was first marked by a teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated then no. :no:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8472)
    Coursework can't be. 99.9% sure on that.

6ums feels like a bit too much for a maths base exam. Something like English which is more subjective can have a larger change but for maths where the answer is typically just right or wrong it is less likely.
    okay thanks for the advice i'm getting my eng lit remarked and also r.e

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    I'd personally leave it tbh - an A grade is still very, very good and 3 UMS is a fair amount. However, if you plan on taking Geography a bit further and if you have a bit of money to spare, then you may as well go for it.

I'd just leave it - the chance of it is too low to justify IMO.

It depends. If the coursework was marked externally then yes, it can be remarked. If, however, the exam was first marked by a teacher and then a sample was sent off to be moderated then no. :no:
    it was marked by my teacher, oh well, thanks for the advice though

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me the relationship between raw marks and UMS marks? And how many raw marks is 7 UMS marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    okay thanks for the advice i'm getting my eng lit remarked and also r.e
    Well good luck with them then. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

Any opinions?
    Is this geography edexcel B?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kauther99)
    Can anyone tell me the relationship between raw marks and UMS marks? And how many raw marks is 7 UMS marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    UMS marks are scaled and each have different values.. Which exam are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm 4UMS away from an A* in English Language but if I drop 6 UMS I go down to a B..what should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah Bethany)
    UMS marks are scaled and each have different values.. Which exam are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey
    Im talking about the OCR gateway B core science (units 1 & 2) 360 UMS marks to get an A*, I got 353. I want to know is it a small difference therefore worth resitting or am I far off in terms of raw marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kauther99)
    Hey
    Im talking about the OCR gateway B core science (units 1 & 2) 360 UMS marks to get an A*, I got 353. I want to know is it a small difference therefore worth resitting or am I far off in terms of raw marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're 7 UMS off. In the 1s, it's 1.4 UMS per mark. That would mean if you remark, you would need to acquire 5 more raw marks. This might be hard, in one paper, though. However, if you're prepared to remark both papers, you might be in with a chance.

You say 'resit', so I assumed you meant 'remark', since I don't understand why having a 'small difference' would affect if you can resit or not?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.