Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do your parents feel about you dating outside of your race? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't mind about race (my dad said no Nigerians, but I'm pretty sure that was a joke). Religion is a different matter. In fact, they wouldn't approve of any religion other than Christianity/maybe agnostic. I don't mind about this though because I wouldn't want to date other religions anyway - not in an offensive way, I have Muslim and Hindu best friends - but it just doesn't seem sensible in a romantic relationship. Personally I probably wouldn't date any Asians (by Asians I mean Asians, not just Chinese btw, some people seem to have trouble with that definition) - again not racist - I just can't seem to find them attractive.

ReputationRep:
    My parents don't want me dating anyone at all, so race is pretty much a non-issue.

I'm 23, to those thinking I must be too young to date :cool:

ReputationRep:
    My family wouldn’t care, as loong as I am happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I love shopping)
    My parents don't want me dating anyone at all, so race is pretty much a non-issue.

Is it due to religion?

ReputationRep:

Bwahahahaha! I feel you there, even though I'm not 23 yet!

ReputationRep:
    Biracial here.

My parents wouldn't mind a person's race. The only factors they took into consideration are, "Don't date some kid that hates, or has parents that hates Japanese people" and, "Make sure we can get along with your in-laws because we WILL have to interact with them."

ReputationRep:
    Too many people are confusing the definition of ethnicity and race and nationality !!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm a BBC (British Born Chinese); If I have a daughter (god forbid), she can only date Hakka and/or Cantonese speaking Han or Korean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mick.w)
    I'm Irish. we hate dating within our race....
    Is it because a lot of the Irish girls are like that (in)famous bird from Magaluf ? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Professor Purple)
    I'm mixed race (Irish, Bajan and African) and a practising Muslim. My parents wouldnt mind what race at all, seeing as theyre different ethnicities themselves, as long as theyre Muslim.

To everyone who has generalised and ruled out different races, your ignorance astounds me.
    :eek:

Interesting mix.

ReputationRep:
    Religion would be more of an issue to them.

ReputationRep:
    My parents were furious when I bought home my first girl friend.

I'd never seen my mum so angry until that day, so much in fact that she hit me with a belt buckle and scarred my face. My dad called my girl friend a ***** relentlessly (to her face!).

In the end I broke and accepted that I should keep it within my own race.

From that day, I only date humans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A5ko)
    My parents were furious when I bought home my first girl friend.

I'd never seen my mum so angry until that day, so much in fact that she hit me with a belt buckle and scarred my face. My dad called my girl friend a ***** relentlessly (to her face!).

In the end I broke and accepted that I should keep it within my own race.

From that day, I only date humans.
    Your poor dog

OT - my parents have come to the fact that I will never date a girl within my own race haha, not that I'm not attracted to some but it just doesn't seem to happen :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lou 22)
    Is it due to religion?
    I guess it's a combination of both. My parents are Hindu Indian and they don't believe in romantic love. They think it's something vile & disgusting that should be discouraged and only "bad" and "immature" young people claim to be in love.

It doesn't stop me from getting into relationships though. I just have to be discreet about it!

(Original post by MarchingBand2015)
    Bwahahahaha! I feel you there, even though I'm not 23 yet!
    Your patents are against dating as well?

ReputationRep:
    Do White people realise there will be no White's left because you're too busy having mixed race babies?Do you understand what the multicultural MELTING pot is and who created it? Why White countries are being flooded with mass-immigration that's destroying and replacing the White population? For anyone who says love is all that matters, think about the statistics of interracial dating and it's genocidal effect. All you see is White women with half black babies, but rarely ever a father. Why do you think that is? Get some self respect and stop killing your own people. One true love is a load of crap, you may fall in love with someone out your race but you'll end up single with a mixed race baby like the rest of them.

ReputationRep:
    I think the problem for me is finding someone to date! Haha but I'm a mixed child so I doubt they would give a damn.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Two mixed race parents: Malawian/Scottish/German Jewish father; Antiguan/Irish/Moldovian mother.

As you can imagine, such a question cannot be meaningfully posed to someone like myself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    If it applies to you of course. My dad doesn't give a crap about it but my mum wants me to find a girlfriend of the same race as me yet I prefer to date outside of my race. I watched a documentary of mixed raced couples being a ******* in some cultures.
    I'm British, he's Filipino.

4 years and counting.

My parents love him. And its perfect.

Your Mum can't really demand you to go out with anyone - you are your own person who makes your own choices. She can't judge someone before she's met them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eur0peanGenocide)
    Do White people realise there will be no White's left because you're too busy having mixed race babies?Do you understand what the multicultural MELTING pot is and who created it? Why White countries are being flooded with mass-immigration that's destroying and replacing the White population? For anyone who says love is all that matters, think about the statistics of interracial dating and it's genocidal effect. All you see is White women with half black babies, but rarely ever a father. Why do you think that is? Get some self respect and stop killing your own people. One true love is a load of crap, you may fall in love with someone out your race but you'll end up single with a mixed race baby like the rest of them.

Lemme guess you're a UKIP voter. You sound, and clearly are, a white supremacist. "OH THE WHITE PEOPLE WILL GO IF WHITE PEOPLE AND BLACK PEOPLE HAVE BABIES" - it works both ways there will be less black/asian etc people if they have babies with white people... get a grip. Perhaps you don't see the father BECAUSE HE IS AT WORK EARNING MONEY. OR HE HAS DIED - you don't know anyone's story. Your mind is clearly diseased with racism.

ReputationRep:
    I guess it's a combination of both. My parents are Hindu Indian and they don't believe in romantic love. They think it's something vile & disgusting that should be discouraged and only "bad" and "immature" young people claim to be in love.

It doesn't stop me from getting into relationships though. I just have to be discreet about it!

Your patents are against dating as well?
    Thats it girl .

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.