The Student Room Group

The Liverpool FC Thread XII

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yesss I diddd
Just like any other formation, the 4-2-3-1 has it's benefits.

It's main drawbacks for us are that

a) leaves Sturridge dropping deeper and deeper
b) Gerrard and Lucas are far too **** and immobile together to cover the midfield between them
c) Our game is built on isolating our attackers one on one with their defenders. A 4-2-3-1 only withdraws our goalscoring widemen from the attack and hurts us going forwards
d) I don't think we currently have enough goals in our three to be successful at that formation anyway

Mainly b) though, Gerrard and Lucas are a dog**** midfield pairing and I told you all this for LONG periods last calendar year. No ****ing surprise that since we changed to the 4-3-3 we started battering everyone off the park. This was a performance reminiscent of two past ones, our midfield inadequacies under Rodgers in 2013 and our 'slow' start to the season last year. It's been commented that we condition our players to get to peak fitness around the Christmas period, so that they don't burn out too quickly (I don't think I've worded that perfectly) and it clearly showed today with some of the sluggishness.

Liverpool were battering everyone when they played a 4-4-2 diamond, not a 4-3-3. It was usually Gerrard at the base, Henderson and Allen/Coutinho on each side and Sterling at the tip.
Also the "slow" start to last season was 3 wins from 3 and top of the table.
Gerrard and Lucas in midfield does not give me confidence. Despite me saying Allen offers nothing going forwards, when he came on, he did well and we looked more threatening.
Reply 262
Original post by Alex Doran
Liverpool were battering everyone when they played a 4-4-2 diamond, not a 4-3-3. It was usually Gerrard at the base, Henderson and Allen/Coutinho on each side and Sterling at the tip.

we scraped wins using the diamond. Every team we battered was with a 4-3-3
Original post by Alex Doran

No, the 4-0 against Everton, the 5-1 against Arsenal and the 5-0 against Spurs were all with a 4-3-3.

And I put slow in inverted commas precisely for that reason. Our performances were **** and we tired before the games were up but still went at top four pace over the first 10 games.
Original post by cBay

Not really, I meant the 6 goals we scored at Cardiff were from a diamond I believe, likewise the 3-0 over United and the 4-0 over Spurs.

But the real massive thrashings of the season were with the 4-3-3.
Original post by Manchester United
Manchester City and Chelsea.

I think it hurts you knowing deep down that you'll be struggling to make top four this year, and you don't want to admit it. You probably have some enduring hope of a Fergie-esque miracle but you know it won't happen.
Original post by samir12
Gerrard and Lucas in midfield does not give me confidence.

This.
Who's finishing top four?

Like I've said many times, Liverpool are in the title race this year. You start slow but go HAM second half of the season. Honestly said Rodgers is another Fergie, he talked the big talk and he could so easily manage Barcelona and even Madrid right now.

Had a feeling you'd be title challenging within 3 years.

Just like any other formation, the 4-2-3-1 has it's benefits.

It's main drawbacks for us are that

a) leaves Sturridge dropping deeper and deeper
b) Gerrard and Lucas are far too **** and immobile together to cover the midfield between them
c) Our game is built on isolating our attackers one on one with their defenders. A 4-2-3-1 only withdraws our goalscoring widemen from the attack and hurts us going forwards
d) I don't think we currently have enough goals in our three to be successful at that formation anyway

Mainly b) though, Gerrard and Lucas are a dog**** midfield pairing and I told you all this for LONG periods last calendar year. No ****ing surprise that since we changed to the 4-3-3 we started battering everyone off the park. This was a performance reminiscent of two past ones, our midfield inadequacies under Rodgers in 2013 and our 'slow' start to the season last year. It's been commented that we condition our players to get to peak fitness around the Christmas period, so that they don't burn out too quickly (I don't think I've worded that perfectly) and it clearly showed today with some of the sluggishness.

Tbh the second you just change Lucas and play Can ahead of him you'll have sorted out majority of the problem.

Can can play as a box to box midfielder like Gerrard in his prime.
No, the 4-0 against Everton, the 5-1 against Arsenal and the 5-0 against Spurs were all with a 4-3-3.

And I put slow in inverted commas precisely for that reason. Our performances were **** and we tired before the games were up but still went at top four pace over the first 10 games.

Performances weren't terrible, you went hard first half but second half tired out as you had a Gerrard, Lucas midfield while Henderson was playing on the right as a wide midfielder.

Think you have enough depth to play your best formation the whole season, but Gerrard is posing that problem. He'll switch to 4-3-3 when he feels the team has enough goals without Suarez to go forward and play a more attacking style of football.
Original post by cBay

United was done in 4-4-2 diamond and so was Soton 3-0. Sterling did well in the hole.

Anywa
Original post by kuks
Nah obsession is singing about the only game Liverpool lost in 2014 in the league to give the title to your local rivals on on the opening home game of the season against Swansea.

Which you lost.

that is the single greatest post i've ever seen you do.

bathe in the rep - you deserve it.

Original post by Manchester United
I was very impressed by Skrtel and Lovren today. They have the potential to form one of the best CB partnerships in the league. They read the game so well.

Brendan Rodgers has also signed a very good player in Alberto Moreno. He impressed me last season at Sevilla.

Because of all this, I think you could have the second/third best defence in the league (Chelsea will have the best by a mile). You shouldn't need to score as many goals as last season. I think SAS can handle the bulk of the goals required. I'm also a big fan of Henderson. That pass to Sterling was delicious today.

This is the best Liverpool squad in a long time.

Rodgers is an excellent manager tbh.

is that how i sound going on to other threads? :/
why so nice?

but cheers, i agree with basically everything there
i think our defence will definitely be more oslid than last season, but it would be a bit of a jump all the way to 3rd best :tongue:

the city game next week will be interesting.
win it and i go mental.
draw it and i'll be very happy.
lose it and i'll be disappointed but it's all i expect anyway - their team is just too strong and they're excellent at the etihad.
I think it hurts you knowing deep down that you'll be struggling to make top four this year, and you don't want to admit it. You probably have some enduring hope of a Fergie-esque miracle but you know it won't happen.

Everybody knows it's going to be a fight for 3rd and 4th place.

There are two tiers;

Tier 1 [Most likely to fight for 3rd and 4th]: Man Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool.
Tier 2 [Could fight for 3rd and 4th]: Everton, Tottenham, Southampton

So there could potentially be six teams fighting for two positions.
Liverpool will not be in a fight for top 4. They'll get it comfortably.

Arsenal has 4th place on lockdown, nobody can take that away from them. If Barcelona were battling for 4th with Arsenal Barca would come 5th.
Reply 272
Original post by jam278

Arsenal has 4th place on lockdown, nobody can take that away from them. If Barcelona were battling for 4th with Arsenal Barca would come 5th.

Agreed, Utd are going to have to do something drastic in the next 2 weeks to break into the top 4. Judging by the evidence so far and previous transfer windows, I just can't see it happening.
Prediction (though this pains me)

1.) City
2.) Liverpool
3.) Chelsea
4.) Arsenal
5.) ----
6.) Man U

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam278
Like I've said many times, Liverpool are in the title race this year. You start slow but go HAM second half of the season. Honestly said Rodgers is another Fergie, he talked the big talk and he could so easily manage Barcelona and even Madrid right now.

Had a feeling you'd be title challenging within 3 years.

Tbh the second you just change Lucas and play Can ahead of him you'll have sorted out majority of the problem.

Can can play as a box to box midfielder like Gerrard in his prime.

... another Fergie? Long way to go yet.

If Can was ready, he'd have been played. Evidently Brendan thinks he isn't ready yet. I don't think Lucas is necessarily the issue at DM - he's been fine there when we've played him there imo.
Original post by jam278

So the top 4 is set in stone already

Original post by jam278
Performances weren't terrible, you went hard first half but second half tired out as you had a Gerrard, Lucas midfield while Henderson was playing on the right as a wide midfielder.

Think you have enough depth to play your best formation the whole season, but Gerrard is posing that problem. He'll switch to 4-3-3 when he feels the team has enough goals without Suarez to go forward and play a more attacking style of football.

No, some of the performances were outright terrible. Stoke was good first half and absolutely **** second, Villa was **** almost all game, United was a 90 minute defensive job. Swansea we played okay/average but drew, Soton was an absolute horror show, one of the worst games I've ever seen a Liverpool team play. Arsenal was a **** performance, Hull was up there with Middlesborough 2009, we did play some really **** games at the start of last year.

Started putting a few goals past West Ham, Fulham, Norwich (none particularly convincing from a performance POV), but then the Spurs 5-0 was when it all really clicked, in December.

Gerrard is posing what problem?
If there are no more signings then the top 4 will be the same as last season without a doubt. If United sign a centre back and either a right wing back or a centre mid then they will be be strongly competing, if they sign all 3 then they will compete for the title. ATM Arsenal are ahead of Liverpool but if Liverpool get a world class striker (Cavani, Reus, Falcao) then they will be title contenders as well and ahead of Arsenal for the top 4.
No, some of the performances were outright terrible. Stoke was good first half and absolutely **** second, Villa was **** almost all game, United was a 90 minute defensive job. Swansea we played okay/average but drew, Soton was an absolute horror show, one of the worst games I've ever seen a Liverpool team play. Arsenal was a **** performance, Hull was up there with Middlesborough 2009, we did play some really **** games at the start of last year.

Started putting a few goals past West Ham, Fulham, Norwich (none particularly convincing from a performance POV), but then the Spurs 5-0 was when it all really clicked, in December.

Gerrard is posing what problem?

I think that the second half of last season is clouding your judgement of the previous season. I think you did well enough against United. You defended yes but it's the league champions and they clearly were struggling to get through the wall, you did the right thing that match. Same way that Chelsea should have pressed then park the bus. It wasn't a 90min defensive job either. You were better in the first half. Stoke you played well for one half and faded like I said. Villa same.

I think you're better defensively in the 4-2-3-1 than the 4-3-3. Because Gerrard and Lucas offer protection instead of just Gerrard in that formation, but obviously Gerrard's attacking qualities are great, it's whether the rest of the team post Suarez are good enough to fully utilise Gerrards attacking qualities. He's not good enough in a midfield two but it's better defensively than him playing as the only DM and the two CMs pushing forward into space. If England played 4-3-3 in the WC, I think we'd have found the answer to whether he could play that style, and create chances while not being exposed enough defensively without Suarez if that makes sense?
Original post by manchesterunited15
So the top 4 is set in stone already

Quote me at end of season.

Put it in your sig init.

Quick Reply

Latest