Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Zong.
    Applying in 2016.
    You? Have you done or you doing the test soon?

ReputationRep:
    These guys are all applying Oct 2015 to start medicine in 2016. Try the graduate medics 2017 thread.

I completed the GAMSAT and applied for 2015 entry.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Thanks.
    Any tips on how to go about doing the test?

ReputationRep:
    Read either this thread or any of the GAMSAT threads around the board. Myself and many others have given our views on the resources and the exam itself.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. Will do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    It depends which uni you apply to. Some want gamsat and some want ukcat or some want no entry exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    where do I look to find out which test they want..? I cannot seem to find it.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by princess271)
    where do I look to find out which test they want..? I cannot seem to find it.
    In the admission criteria for each uni it will list what they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    In the admission criteria for each uni it will list what they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Found it under entry requirements..thanks alot.

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for medicine to start next September 2016, so do I need to do my UKCAT before the deadline which is in October?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by princess271)
    I am applying for medicine to start next September 2016, so do I need to do my UKCAT before the deadline which is in October?
    Yes. You need to do it this summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's terrifying that this time next year we may know if we have got into med school or not! Ahhh!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm a second-year Biology student at UoN. I intend to do the GAMSAT this year as (ideally) I would love to attend the GEM course at Nottingham in 2016 and they require the GAMSAT.

But, in terms of my work experience, how do you guys think I sound right now?

I volunteer at the QMC in Nottingham on one of the wards for a couple of hours a week, and have done since early December (involves a lot of interaction with elderly patients)
    Through my volunteering I have got in contact with a doctor on the ward and am in the process of arranging shadowing experience which I will hopefully be able to accumulate before I apply.
    I also work as a Medical Records clerk at another hospital and intend to take advantage of my employment there and enquire about shadowing there too, as well as possibly obtaining another ward-facing role.
    Finally, I tutor an AS-Level student in Chemistry (thought it may be worth mentioning)

So assuming I carry on with what I am doing now and manage to get the above sorted too; does this sound adequate? It really is just the experience I'm most concerned about.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds great, Rich. I think they're ideally looking for excellent interpersonal skills in a caring environment. You have volunteering experience in a hospital so you know how to communicate with patients.
    The shadowing is a great opportunity to see how the role is.
    The tutoring involves transferable skills.
    I don't know any doctors well enough to shadow them yet. I'm hoping that will come in due course.

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone going to the open day at Warwick on 23rd March?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tw781)
    Is anyone going to the open day at Warwick on 23rd March?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hello I will be going to the Warwick Open day on 13th April, anyone else ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oojebooje)
    Hello I will be going to the Warwick Open day on 13th April, anyone else ?
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    This might sound a strange question but does anyone know the kind of holidays you get on a GEM course? I know this will vary from year to year but over the first two years is it like normal medical courses or reduced?

I am asking as I'm trying to work out the finer details of affording uni and I would need the holidays to work to take as much off that debt as I can.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mini123456)
    This might sound a strange question but does anyone know the kind of holidays you get on a GEM course? I know this will vary from year to year but over the first two years is it like normal medical courses or reduced?

I am asking as I'm trying to work out the finer details of affording uni and I would need the holidays to work to take as much off that debt as I can.

Thanks in advance.
    Most of the GEM courses are in excess of 40 weeks. I know Swansea's course has two weeks leave at Christmas, 1 weeks leave at Easter and 4 weeks leave in summer. Realistically, the summer is the only opportunity to gain any paid work, provided you have passed the year's exams. I imagine the same is true other courses

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for making this post
    I am currently a 2nd year Biomedical science student. I'm so nervous/excited about actually pursuing Medicine. I've got my work cut-out for me! eeep x

ReputationRep:
    Where are people finding that Kings only accept science graduates?

"Compulsory subjects
    Either:
    A minimum 2:1 (upper second class honour) undergraduate degree (or international equivalent) in any subject
    or
    a 2:2 (lower second class honours) undergraduate degree with a postgraduate degree (with at least a Merit) in any subject.
    or
    Diploma of Higher Education in Nursing: Pass with at least two years' nursing work experience"

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.