Current LSE student, ask me anything Watch

sultaabs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hello everyone, I am currently an offer holder at LSE and I am set to study management but I realised that the management course doesn't have much mathematics in it so I was wondering if I could transfer to another course perhaps economics and mathematics because it has an emphasis on mathematics. Thank you.
N123456789
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi - would you recommend any books on the financial crisis (that tell you how it occurred and the lessons learnt) and its a book which is concise and easy to read for a level students? Is there any other books that you recommend to read for wider reading? Thanks.
Aj_16
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by fizzabangash)
Hello!

I am starting my postgrad at LSE this year.

I was wondering if someone could perhaps suggest a private student hall in London for me? I want it to be somewhere safe, nice and not more than 40 minutes walk away from LSE. I want a studio and my range is between 270 and 310 pounds per week.
So far, I have shortlisted
1. Tuffnel House,
2. Pure Bankside and
3. Urbanest Hoxton.

But this is based purely on my searches on the internet which I am not too confident about. Would really appreciate some help.

Thank you.
If you are looking for a studio, your best bet is probably urbanest Hoxton however you would have to take the train (approximately - 29 minute journey time). Your budget is high so that is probably the best option.
Bankside is also good but it's much cheaper than your budget - circa 200.
I'd personally rule out Tufnell house as it's the furthest away.
Aj_16
Rep:
?
(Original post by N123456789)
Hi - would you recommend any books on the financial crisis(that tell you how it occurred and the lessons learnt) and its a book which is concise and easy to read for a level students? Is there any other books that you recommend to read for wider reading? Thanks.
"This time is different" by Reinhart and Rogoff.
I read the relevant parts this year and it's pretty simple and insightful on the 2008 financial crisis and many others.
fizzabangash
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aj_16)
If you are looking for a studio, your best bet is probably urbanest Hoxton however you would have to take the train (approximately - 29 minute journey time). Your budget is high so that is probably the best option.
Bankside is also good but it's much cheaper than your budget - circa 200.
I'd personally rule out Tufnell house as it's the furthest away.
And how about Woodland House by Prodigy Living? I have heard great things about Prodigy, plus they have a gym on site, which is great because I am a fitness freak.

I looked up Hoxton and the area seems to have a notorious reputations in terms of crimes and stabbing incidents.
kivvisha
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey everyone, I am starting postgrad this year, but was wondering about accommodation. I'd like to keep it under 200/pw, can anyone give me advice on what my best option would be? Is uni accommodation the cheapest option? Thanks!
A12R34
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...e%20management
umbala
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

I would imagine that this question has already come up before, but I am concerned by the number of people who have told me that the LSE is a very lonely place and that it is very difficult to have a social life there. Is that true?
GandalfWhite
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by umbala)
Hi there,

I would imagine that this question has already come up before, but I am concerned by the number of people who have told me that the LSE is a very lonely place and that it is very difficult to have a social life there. Is that true?
Nah.
Onlyheretoask
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
How do you rate my chances for the BSc Finance @ LSE;
2A's, 4B's 4C's at GCSE
B,C,D A Level
Completed 1st year of uni
Planning to resit A Levels (Maths, Law, Econ + AS Further Maths), can obtain A*AA predicted
Excellent (imo) extra curricular activities etc.
Aj_16
Rep:
?
Hi there,

LSE is what you make of it much like many other universities. If you want to have a good time and are good with time management - there is no reason why you can't.
raytallica1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi,

I'm starting my postgraduate at LSE this September and I've been offered housing at Urbanest Kings Cross. I'm also looking into other private student accommodation buildings such as Nido, Westminster Bridge Student Accommodation, Urbanest Tower Bridge, and a few more. In which building am I most likely to meet the most number of LSE students?
alwaysinexile
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hi there,

I use to be scared by this quite often before I came to LSE. Honestly speaking, there are things to do everywhere. It is London. You will find things to do, and people you like hanging out with. In first year, dozens of people will go out clubbing a few times every week if that is your thing.

On a personal note, I did have quite an alienating first year, but that was me coming to face with my self, and realising I wasn't the confident, independent person I thought I was. But that's something people will experience at every university.

I found fellow Northerns, fellow ex-Muslims, and a bunch of people interested in political philosophy at uni. You will find people you have common ground with. It is upto you to meet them!
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Beyond the academics, going through university is very much a journey of self discovery.
MaxReid
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
What proportion of LSEs students come from overseas?
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by MaxReid)
What proportion of LSEs students come from overseas?
You can get those stats easily from LSE webpage. I think it is around 45%.
GandalfWhite
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Actually, 52% .....

http://www.lse.ac.uk/intranet/LSESer...tics/home.aspx
NabeelUddin97
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I've been hearing that people who applied to LSE can get their acceptance like a week before Results Day.

Is this true?
EgorNM
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, thanks for the thread that you've kept for so long, hopefully your still here!

I am interested in Accounting & Finance. Anything that you would comment about it? Teachers? People there? Requirements? Anything. Thanks a lot
(I think I will get 39 (+1) at IB, got 3A* and only As in IGCSE (did extra subjects))
#Unknown
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Holdaboss)
Thanks I understand you probably do not have specific knowledge on admissions, was just hoping you may know a student with slightly lower GCSEs! :P

If it's meant to be it's meant to be I suppose.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, I got much worse GCSE grades than you with only 3-4 A's majority of Bs and only 1 A* in maths, including a grade C in GCSE English Language where LSE require a grade B but it still didn't stop me getting an offer to study maths with eco there. I'm currently going into my second year this year having achieved a 1st for my first year.
My AS levels were: Maths (A), Further Maths (A), Chemistry (A) and computing (B)
and A Levels: Maths (A*), Further Maths (A) and chemistry (A)...barely just met my offer but apparently, quite a few people missed their offer in my year and still got accepted by LSE...like one of my friends doing accounting ended up with AABB with a B in maths and still got accepted, achieving a 2:1 in their first year! So all you have to do is make an awesome PS and put in the hours to get good A Levels...hope it helps!

P.S. Feel free to "give rep" to me by going on my profile haha if it helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• London School of Economics and Political Science
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 4 Jul '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads