Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Cambridge doesn't allow it. Oxford does.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks Jneill, Thats's a useful info and I found a couple of links for that .

Oxford - https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...tail/a_id/547/

Cambridge only for exceptional cases - http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...k-universities

Would you know if any one has managed to get into Oxford after entering the first year (Iknow I'llbe applying in August before that but ....)?
    Just a bit down with all of this!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by meganfurley)
    Thanks Jneill, Thats's a useful info and I found a couple of links for that .

Oxford - https://uni-of-oxford.custhelp.com/a...tail/a_id/547/

Cambridge only for exceptional cases - http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...k-universities

Would you know if any one has managed to get into Oxford after entering the first year (Iknow I'llbe applying in August before that but ....)?
    Just a bit down with all of this!
    I don't personally, but just wander over to Oxford 2016 thread - there are definitely succesful applicants at the other place in there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hemartin)
    I was thinking of accepting a place at another uni, then waiting for results day. If I do OK in exams, but nothing special, I go to that uni. If I do really well (better than predicted, which would give me a better chance of getting into Cambridge), I reject the place, go through the application process again and take a gap year.
    I think that's the best way to go about it. While not compulsory you should apply to a different college if you reapply. I don't think the rejected uni would deny you a place because you rejected them previously if you are a good candidate. Personally I got offers from the same unis I turned down last year. It can also be quite nice to get a year off as I've saved some money and will be going to Thailand soon! Anyway work hard on your exams and go from there, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I was a mature Medicine applicant this year that ultimately got rejected :/ I applied to Trinity College and was pooled but got fished out and reinterviewed by Lucy Cavendish College. I plan on reapplying next year but I'm not sure if I should apply to Trinity again (I know it's recommended that reapplicants apply to a different college but I just love Trinity so much! ) or apply straight to Lucy Cavendish (or a different mature college?) ???

I think on paper I have a very strong application (top grades, loads of work experience, good reference, high BMAT score, good personal statement, etc...) but my lack of interview experience is what let me down which I plan on working on during my 'gap year'.

I'm not too sure what I should do during my 'gap year' that would impress them since I already have loads of different kinds of work and volunteer experience (mainly thanks to having to take 2 non-consecutive and unplanned gap years in the past which were due to extenuating circumstances)?

- Is Cambridge okay with mature reapplicants or will the fact that I'm applying again after essentially 2 colleges turned me down work against me?
    - How long does Cambridge keep unsuccessful applicant files? Do they look at them again if you're a reapplicant?
    - Do you think ATs and DoSs remember applicants? As in would either Trinity or Lucy Cavendish remember me and think "Oh gee she was awful in her interview so we won't bother interviewing her again or putting her in the pool! :P"?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would love to hear what you guys think and recommend that I should do! ) Many thanks!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Modelle)
    - Is Cambridge okay with mature reapplicants or will the fact that I'm applying again after essentially 2 colleges turned me down work against me?
    - How long does Cambridge keep unsuccessful applicant files? Do they look at them again if you're a reapplicant?
    - Do you think ATs and DoSs remember applicants? As in would either Trinity or Lucy Cavendish remember me and think "Oh gee she was awful in her interview so we won't bother interviewing her again or putting her in the pool! :P"?

Sorry for all of the questions but I would love to hear what you guys think and recommend that I should do! ) Many thanks!
    - yes, but they are fairly likely to remember you. That may work in your favour or not...
    - afaik I they destroy them when the cycle finishes. They won't specifically have your previous file, but see above comment.
    - of course they do. Again my first comment applies.

Maybe ask in the Lucy Cavendish's thread for 21+ applicants about general tips (she obviously can't comment publicly on your specific application....)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2878031

Edit to add: I see you've already done so

ReputationRep:
    Any one know how long Cambridge take to send a feedback?

ReputationRep:
    Anytime up to the end of February.
    The new term has started and all DoS/AT have other regular work to attend, so I assume they're dealing with feedback (hundreds of them) when they can,,as many as they can.

ReputationRep:
    I originally applied to Churchill for English, I was pooled and not picked out by any of the "normal age colleges", so (because I am already 20) I was considered by the mature colleges and fished by Wolfson and given an offer for deferred entry in 2017. I hope to see some of you there! Good luck to all those reapplying.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student437)
    Hi everyone,
    I was wondering if I could get some advice. I currently have an offer from UCL for Law but my parents want me to re-apply for Cam or Oxford next year. I'm very scared because I don't know if I can get in even if I re-apply. Also, if I reject UCL now, I'm pretty sure they won't take me back next year. Should I listen to my parents and take the risk?
    You could ask UCL whether they would let you defer entry. If they are happy to let you defer, you could then re-apply to Oxbridge knowing you have a place at UCL in 2017/2018 (providing you meet UCL's offer).

Ultimately, it depends on what your goals are. For instance, if you'd like to become a top barrister, the sets in London predominantly take on outstanding Oxbridge applicants. In my opinion, the Oxbridge label tends to have less weight if you are hoping to become a solicitor, academic or other legal practitioner. Needless to say, diversity in some areas of the legal scene is an issue, so my advice would be to bear this in mind when you make your decision. Hope that helps
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Peeka)
    You could ask UCL whether they would let you defer entry. If they are happy to let you defer, you could then re-apply to Oxbridge knowing you have a place at UCL in 2017/2018 (providing you meet UCL's offer).

Ultimately, it depends on what your goals are. For instance, if you'd like to become a top barrister, the sets in London predominantly take on outstanding Oxbridge applicants. In my opinion, the Oxbridge label tends to have less weight if you are hoping to become a solicitor, academic or other legal practitioner. Needless to say, diversity in some areas of the legal scene is an issue, so my advice would be to bear this in mind when you make your decision. Hope that helps
    OP posted in Jan 2015...

ReputationRep:
    Did you get feedback? I'm still waiting... (Though I doubt I'll reapply. Just posting here about feedback, really.)

ReputationRep:
    Hi applied to ST Johns's for history - I got pooled and then rejected even though my UMS was only 87% but I got 100 UMS in a history exam - should I re-apply even though I have LSE
    My interviews were really good and I know the only reason I didn't get in was my grades.

ReputationRep:
    Is it okay if I accept LSE but still apply while I'm at university next year?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by 14RYAT)
    Is it okay if I accept LSE but still apply while I'm at university next year?
    No. Cambridge doesn't encourage this. You would usually need to reject any other uni places before applying to Cambridge.

The only potential exception is if LSE fully agree to it, which is unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 14RYAT)
    Hi applied to ST Johns's for history - I got pooled and then rejected even though my UMS was only 87% but I got 100 UMS in a history exam - should I re-apply even though I have LSE
    My interviews were really good and I know the only reason I didn't get in was my grades.
    You should request feedback from John's before you decide what to do.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...sions/feedback

Also, well done on getting 100 on History but unfortunatelymany of Cambridge applicants have 100 (or very high 90s) UMS for the relevant subjects, so that's the level of competition you're against.
    As for interview performance, jneill made a very useful/insightful survey to show how unreliable applicants' 'assessement' on their interview performance are.
    Lots of successful applicants thought their interview was aweful, lots of unsuccessful applicants thought it went very well.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I applied for Mathematics at Emmanuel and got rejected after being pooled too.

Year 12 results:
    Maths Entire ALevel (C1-4 + M1 + M2): 596/600
    Economics AS: 200/200
    Physics AS: 297/300
    Average UMS 99.4%

Currently studying Further Maths ALevel, Economics A2 and Physics A2.

I have offers from
    LSE (Maths with Economics)
    Warwick (Maths)
    UCL (Maths)
    King's (Maths)

LSE would be my first choice now, but I do really really like Cambridge. I was thinking about reapplying for either Maths or possibly Economics.

In a gap year, I would probably study towards Additional Further Maths, STEP and try and get some work exp - I didn't apply to any gap year programmes.

Any thoughts?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AmarPatel98)
    Hi

I applied for Mathematics at Emmanuel and got rejected after being pooled too.
    Any thoughts?
    What was your college feedback?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    What was your college feedback?

Still haven't heard back yet :/
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by AmarPatel98)
    Still haven't heard back yet :/
    So until you get that it's an, um, academic question.

Given your apparently strong academic profile your application must have been weaker elsewhere. You need to identify the weakness(es) and consider if it's possible to remedy them... And keeping in mind what do you do if you are unsuccessful a 2nd time.

ReputationRep:
    I got feedback and got told that one of my interviews was A2 the other was A3 on a scale of A1-A5 with 1 being strongest. This seems a really odd scale; has anyone ever heard anything about this before? I really wanted a score out of 10...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.