Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If someone offered you a £250k or a first class Oxbridge degree? Watch

• View Poll Results: £250k or Oxbridge degree
    Money
    48.77%
    Degree
    37.52%
    Money - this is TSR, everyone already goes to Oxbridge?!
    13.71%

ReputationRep:
    lol at people who think oxbridge means ur gna be a millionaire xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Not on earth, maybe mars?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you look at the employability rates for engineers from cambridge they're like 96/100 (I know it also includes further study). So statistically you will get a job related to your degree.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by humanteaparty)
    If you look at the employability rates for engineers from cambridge they're like 96/100 (I know it also includes further study). So statistically you will get a job related to your degree.
    I don't think you quite get my point.. A degree =/= a job. It is merely a tickbox for you to vie for a job, if you don't have the skills/personality/ability, you won't get the job someone else will.

96/100 people got onto work + further study in a cohort completely different to the cohort you will be in and having completely different skills/experiences/personalities to you.

This misconception is just unreal

EDIT: I'm not saying you won't get a job, I'm saying getting a job is a LOT more to do than just your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by infairverona)
    That's good though because you can get good work experience etc. I wish I'd considered research, I wish I'd done science so I could actually do proper research
    What do/did you do?

ReputationRep:
    Well there's always other Universities in the US like Harvard..
    Or King's College

ReputationRep:
    Depends, would I get to spend 3 years studying at Oxford? Because that would be an amazing opportunity, which to me is worth much more than 250K, but obviously it's a personal choice and I'm not trying to convince anyone. The same would go for an LSE degree, or even UCL for that matter! I just really value education, and that's a personal thing. Obviously a degree from Oxford doesn't guarantee wealth, but if you go into something like finance or business, which is where I think I'll end up, you can easily end up making over 250K a YEAR, so 250K once is kind of small compared to that. But above all if you end up working in a job you enjoy money doesn't matter, and I say this both from the little personal experience I have and from the people I've met, especially countless teachers, who enjoy their job massively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    What do/did you do?
    Law undergrad, Medical Law and Ethics MA currently part time while working in health research regulation. I could do some social science type research but it's not the same

ReputationRep:
    I'll be the suicidal one in this thread and say I would politely refuse both.

I want to earn either through my own merit.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Statistically it's better to get the degree, and it's a free 3 years then. So yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Money 250k can buy you a couple of houses in manchester/Liverpool that you can sell and make profit on.

A first class Oxbridge degree guarantees nothing unless you have the connections capable of applying that degree. Take it this way if you got into investment banking you'll be on 40-50k in your first year and then say 10k bonuses(not sure on bonuses), how long would it take for you to get 250k on that salary?

By that time you could have sold your houses and say you got a 10k profit on each house you sell and you sell a house at the rate of once a couple of months you'd be on 60k a year from house profits? Then you can always buy more expensive houses in london and make even more profit from that.
    By a couple I assume you mean at least 5

Do you think houses cost 50,000 in manchester ?

And how exactly do you plan on making a profit ? each time you a property you pay stamp duty, lawyer fees, bank application fees . Easily £3,000 each time

you also pay taxes and fees to estate agents when you sell

(Original post by infairverona)
    Law undergrad, Medical Law and Ethics MA currently part time while working in health research regulation. I could do some social science type research but it's not the same
    That's amazing in itself though :yes:

Maybe when you've got a bit of money, try undertaking a science degree and see what that leads to?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    That's amazing in itself though :yes:

Maybe when you've got a bit of money, try undertaking a science degree and see what that leads to?
    I will never save up for a science degree, especially not with 9k fees. I'm debating trying to get a place on graduate entry medicine or a psychology conversion

I'd take the degree. It would have so much intrinsic worth to me. But I know, I'm weird.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jon2016)
    By a couple I assume you mean at least 5
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Chicken Bacon)
    lol at people who think oxbridge means ur gna be a millionaire xD
    Strong this. Getting a degree normally means you're looking to work for someone else, and nobody's gonna pay you 7 figures or even close to work for them. Conversely, if you have a good head for business, and the funds to set your own large business up, you stand every chance of becoming rich.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps to make the question more interesting, the choice should be between:

1) Being 21 years old, having £250k, and being exactly the same in all other respects as you are now
    2) Being 21 years old, having actually undergone the Oxbridge undergraduate programme and having achieved a first class - in other words, being commensurately intelligent/hard-working/skilled with the qualification you own. Oh, and let's say the first class is not in something like ASNAC (sorry ASNACers, <3 you) but in say . . . Engineering.

I'd say if you're reasonably bright, Option 1 is better. If you're somewhat unintelligent and untalented, Option 2 has significantly more value.

ReputationRep:
    A large annoying mammal is loose somewhere in the thread and causing trouble. Someone get a net.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Strong this. Getting a degree normally means you're looking to work for someone else, and nobody's gonna pay you 7 figures or even close to work for them. Conversely, if you have a good head for business, and the funds to set your own large business up, you stand every chance of becoming rich.
    Precisely so. Anyway I couldn't study at oxbridge since I am studying dentistry and they don't offer it.

ReputationRep:
    cash as that will buy my whole jewellery collection, my watch collection, treat some people well and £75k for my business

ReputationRep:
    Easy. I'd take the money.
    It could pay for a degree from the uni I actually wanna go to, and with that kind of money plus the grants from my own country I'd be well off both as a student and while working *****y part times/job hunting.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.