Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA English Literature GCSE 2015 JUNE SUMMER *OFFICIAL THREAD* OMAM AIC watch

ReputationRep:
    For AIC the question may be on stage direction and NOT on any of the characters. I think all the characters have already come up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnKnowN1029)
    For AIC the question may be on stage direction and NOT on any of the characters. I think all the characters have already come up.
    They repeat characters though and it may also be on a theme

ReputationRep:
    I got 32/40 in my CA can I still get a/a*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thomasconnor)
    I got 32/40 in my CA can I still get a/a*?
    That must be an A? SO definitely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamlucy)
    No that's fab - thank you! Hmm, in the same boat there - "you'll be fine - you have a natural aptitude for English literature" - eurgh not went there are two books you have to know off the back of your hand and be prepared for ANY question, about ANY character or ANY theme.

We did Curley's wife for our coursework, so finger's crossed it will be her, but no - you're right, Crooks and Curley haven't come up recently....some people have said Carlson could be a character up for analysis, but apart from his shooting the dog and grabbing his rifle, I swear there's nothing else he does and not much else you could really deduce from his involvement in the book.

For the woman in black, i'm very unsure to be honest, I missed a lot of school when we went through it, and i read it a year ago, but so far i've just been on websites looking at analysis - I'm not sure what the format of WIB questions are? Is it character, theme or chapter - or any of the 3? I know there are two questions and you get to choose(?)
    There's a lot you could talk about for Carlson, he wasn't able to sympathise with Candy when his dog was being killed, after George killed Lennie his "what's bothering those guys" reflects his unsympathetic behaviour and you could talk about how it reflects the other itinerant workers, they're so lonely that they've never really been exposed to friendship like Candy and his dog, and Lennie and George, so he doesnt understand the importance of it?? Idk if this helped lol but if it comes up these would be some good points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I did the exam last year, so can help anybody, if necessary.

If you have any questions, want me to check any essays you write or would just like some advice, then feel free to ask me.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey could you please read my essay

Steinbeck uses language to present theviews towards women by men in the 1930s, he constructs Curley as cruel, violentand dismissive through the metaphor “hand full of Vaseline” the noun “Vaseline”suggests that he is using his wife only as a sex object as he is flaunts thisto the other ranch workers. Steinbeck could be highlighting how men don’t valuewomen, which is also seen when Goerge describes Curleys wife as a “tart”. Thenoun has connotations of sweetness but also a negative insult for a prostitute.The juxtaposition between these alternative meaning could be Steinbecks way ofsuggesting that women are prejudged through George who is perceived as amorally sound character and curley who is not, Steinbeck proves that all menare guilty of treating women unfairly which links to the key theme ofinequality. However an alternative interpretation couldbe that curley is trying to care for his wife, as “Vaseline” has connotations ofsoftness. This is ironic as Curley is described as hyper masculine which is seenin the imperative ”come on you big *******” the noun “*******” has negativeconnotations and is used as an insult, Stienbeck uses Curleys insecurity of hisheight as a motif throughout the novel, perhaps he is suggesting that we do notneed to have male characteristics (e.g. height) to be consideration masculine.

ReputationRep:
    I recently found out that for the part a) 'Of Mice and Men' question you have to talk about themes. Is this true? I thought only part b) was themes and context?

'An Inspector Calls' is quite straightforward, but 'Of Mice and Men' I'm really worried about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucyylulu)
    I recently found out that for the part a) 'Of Mice and Men' question you have to talk about themes. Is this true? I thought only part b) was themes and context?

'An Inspector Calls' is quite straightforward, but 'Of Mice and Men' I'm really worried about.
    in part a you should talk about the character or theme displayed in the passage you get, for example if its a passage from when Curley's wife is at the doorway, you would talk about her personally so her heavily made up face being a mask, her promiscuity, theme of loneliness if you can bring it in etc. and then in part b talk about how Steinbeck uses her to display how women in society were judged on their face, clothes and how this could be the reason behind her effort to attract attention and then talk about the whole novel from start to end, so you could include something about how even in death, she is called a '*****' and a 'tramp' and this displays men's attitudes to her, so in part b you can bring in more themes such as the minority group of women and their treatment from men and get quotes from when the workers discuss her.
    did this make sense? I hope it helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jiyongtoki)
    There's a lot you could talk about for Carlson, he wasn't able to sympathise with Candy when his dog was being killed, after George killed Lennie his "what's bothering those guys" reflects his unsympathetic behaviour and you could talk about how it reflects the other itinerant workers, they're so lonely that they've never really been exposed to friendship like Candy and his dog, and Lennie and George, so he doesnt understand the importance of it?? Idk if this helped lol but if it comes up these would be some good points
    No no, I agree! But it seems extremely limited - you could be right, but I think the answers from everyone would be too similar, like the examiners will want to rip their eyeballs out because the higher end students will say what you have said, but those who have a lower understanding of the book, won't have the ability to interpret his relevance at all (at least that will mean low grade boundaries!)

ReputationRep:
    i think for AIC how priestly creates tention could come up.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any suggestions as to which character the question will be on for an inspector calls? Got a feeling it might be Mr Birling but I'm not sure, does anyone else think the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    my English teacher thinks the ''what is the significance of ... in omam?'' question is going to be based on Crooks, however he also said it could be Slim or Carlson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mghp)
    how is tituba presented?!!?
    lol yh they put that in the foundation paper last year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by \\\)
    these are the previous questions on wib that i can find. The questions can be on anything, but they like to stick to a pattern. Knowing the main themes- isolation, fear, revenge, gothic supernatural etc, the characters and where everything is in the book would help. It is a choice, but i've often spent too long in mocks choosing- so know which sort you'd prefer! All the questions are in essence looking for the same thing, unless the examiners go crazy and try out something completely new...
    Specimen
    how does hill use the fog in chapter 2 to create tension and show what is to come in the rest of the novel? (chapter)
    or
    how does hill present samuel daily? (character)

jan 2011
    how does hill create a sense of isolation in the novel? (themes)
    or
    how does hill present the setting of eel marsh house? (not any of the three really. An interesting question because it's easy to find quotes for but also quite limited)

june 2011
    in chapter 3 how does hill's description of the train journey prepare the reader for what is to come in the novel (chapter- a nice one i think because of the short chapter length)
    or
    how do you respond to hill's presentation of the woman in black in the novel? (character)

jan 2012
    how does hill present arthur in chapter 5 (chapter)
    or
    how does hill leave the reader with a sense of horror at the end of the book (chapter/theme)

june 2012
    how do you think hill creates sympathy for arthur? (character)
    or
    how does hill create a sense of terror for the reader towards the end of chapter 9? (chapter/theme)

jan 2013
    how do you think hill creates threat and danger in her presentation of eel marsh house? (theme/setting)
    or
    how successful do you find the wib as a ghost story and how does hill make you think as you do by the way she writes? (themes one, but you could write about anything here)

june 13
    how does hill create tension and suspense in the second chapter? (chapter)
    or
    how does hill present children in wib? How do they add to the sense of horror? (theme)

and last year's ones (they won't come up)
    how does hill present a change in arthur over the book? (character)
    or
    do you think chapter 1 is an effective opening? (chapter)
    how are you revising for wib?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isthatmatilda)
    so i'm doing the crucible, TKAM and the relationships cluster and these are my predictions, not that anybody cares...
    Crucible:
    they usually give a theme and character as the option questions so i think it's going to be on tituba (ooh plot twist) and the theme of reputation.
    (ALTHOUGH because they did two characters last year i have a bad feeling they're gonna do two theme questions this year)
    other possibilities i think it could be: elizabeth, danforth, the putnams and if they're feeling evil, betty. other themes: revenge, loyalty and hysteria.

TKAM:
    i think the extract is gonna be from the missionary circle chapter to lead on to a part b) question about the presentation of women
    (i hate the extract question btw; they literally choose extracts with nothing to analyse :/ )
    but just as general advice i would revise racism/injustice thoroughly and would write an essay to learn because contrary to my prediction, they love centering the section b questions around racism/injustice/prejudice etc.

Relationships:
    this is what has come up so far
    june 2011- manhunt and nettles
    jan 2012- sonnet 43 and harmonium
    june 2012- quickdraw and praise song for my mother
    june 2013- sonnet 116 and born yesterday
    june 2014 - farmer's bride and ghazal

so i predict - hour and to his coy mistress which i would be very happy with
    (i read somewhere that sister maude, ipwy and brothers won't come up for higher because they're 'foundation questions' but don't quote me on that
    )

+ let's just pray they're merciful with the unseen

final thought: since we're the penultimate year before the reforms, they might get lazy and just recycle old paper questions so don't just assume when you look at a past paper "thank God we're not going to get this!"

lol soz if this got way too long
    changing my prediction for tkam; they've never done an atticus or a bravery question! so i think it's gonna be that this year

another possible question i reckon they're gonna ask for crucible is 'how does Miller put characters under a 'crucible' test?'

and with the unseen you can look at the 15 authors they gave in the specification; i reckon it's gonna be a Maya Angelou this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnKnowN1029)
    Arthur Birling hasnt come up as such and Sheila came up a really long time ago.. so if its a character question it'll probably be on them..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseahedges)
    my English teacher thinks the ''what is the significance of ... in omam?'' question is going to be based on Crooks, however he also said it could be Slim or Carlson
    For mice and men, a Crooks question came up in Jan 2013 and a Slim one came up in June 2013 so that leaves Carlson and Candy and the dog..

ReputationRep:
    Any crucible predictions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anks1329)
    For mice and men, a Crooks question came up in Jan 2013 and a Slim one came up in June 2013 so that leaves Carlson and Candy and the dog..
    what about curley?

ReputationRep:
    In fact, my teacher gave me a piece of homework that looked like a past paper. It's about how Lennie is presented BUT it's about the fight scene between Curley and Lennie from the sentences: 'Curley stepped over like a terrier' to 'Lennie cried "I didn't want to hurt him'. I'm not sure if this is an actual past paper but if it was, surely this wouldn't come up again?? Anyway, the questions were:

a) What methods does Steinbeck use in this passage to present Lennie?
    b) How do you think Steinbeck uses the character of Lennie in the novel as whole to convey important ideas about society at that time?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.