Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

CoC Semi-Final Live: Chelsea v Liverpool 27/01 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    He hasn't been great but he makes himself into an option when on the right. He just knows when and how to run to create space whether it be for a player like Sterling to continue attacking or to get in behind/cut in. Manquillo, even as a wingback, is 10-15 yards further back and just lumps the cross in (we've only seen a couple of decent crosses). It just doesn't work for our system since we don't have an out and out winger who stretches the pitch.

He isn't pacey enough and he's not going to get any better in terms of his attacking play to match our style. You can see how Moreno fits in beautifully. If Flanagan won't sign a new contract, keep Manquillo. If he does sign, send Manquillo back and recall Wisdom. We can then either sign Johnson on a new contract or buy a new rightback.
    But Johnson rarely contributes to goals scored despite providing an option going forward but does a good job contributing to conceding goals, we look more likely to concede goals from his side. If we are playing against parked buses than fine, but against teams looking to pressure and take the fight to us I would rather have Manquillo in the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samir12)
    But Johnson rarely contributes to goals scored despite providing an option going forward but does a good job contributing to conceding goals, we look more likely to concede goals from his side. If we are playing against parked buses than fine, but against teams looking to pressure and take the fight to us I would rather have Manquillo in the side.
    It's not just about direct contributions to goals, it's about improving attacking player. Too often we see two opposition players go to Sterling to crowd him out of the game. Manquillo will sit further back to be a safe pass back who then passes it back to the CBs or Lucas. Johnson on the other hand tries to help Sterling by becoming an option either inside or further down the flank to draw one player away so atleast Sterling is then 1 v 1.

I'd agree with you if we were still playing 4 at the back since then we have an extra attacking player on the pitch and then we need to be defensively solid but with the 3-4-3, there's less responsibility on our RWB to defend but a lot more to attack which suits Johnson more than Manquillo.

Two thirds of our league games are against teams we're expecting to beat so I'd rather have Johnson for those over Manquillo. I don't think Manquillo is any better than Flanagan and then we can rotate Flanagan in when necessary.

Well now we have Henderson/Lucas covering and then Can who is the RCB to help Johnson not be exposed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Johnson has the most flexibility of all our defenders. Effectively Rodgers has played him at every defensive position except in a 2 man CB (as in he's played RB, RWB, RCB, LB, LWB, LCB).

The quicker people realise Manquillo is average at best, the better. He was so bad against Bolton and we need our fullbacks to offer more going forward. I'd only keep one of Flanagan and Manquillo going forward. Neither are good enough going forward and Markovic should only be a short term solution at RWB.
    Johnson is certainly no better than Manquillo at the back, though. I find it quite refreshing to have a right-back who is composed and assured like Manquillo. He's quite a throwback - and he's certainly more of a full-back than wing-back, but it's nice to have a defensively minded player who is unlikely to make a mistake at the back when we have Moreno, Sakho and Skrtel who are all prone to errors.

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about direct contributions to goals, it's about improving attacking player. Too often we see two opposition players go to Sterling to crowd him out of the game. Manquillo will sit further back to be a safe pass back who then passes it back to the CBs or Lucas. Johnson on the other hand tries to help Sterling by becoming an option either inside or further down the flank to draw one player away so atleast Sterling is then 1 v 1.

I'd agree with you if we were still playing 4 at the back since then we have an extra attacking player on the pitch and then we need to be defensively solid but with the 3-4-3, there's less responsibility on our RWB to defend but a lot more to attack which suits Johnson more than Manquillo.

Two thirds of our league games are against teams we're expecting to beat so I'd rather have Johnson for those over Manquillo. I don't think Manquillo is any better than Flanagan and then we can rotate Flanagan in when necessary.

Well now we have Henderson/Lucas covering and then Can who is the RCB to help Johnson not be exposed.
    The worry is Johnson not tracking back, Markovic and Moreno have the pace to get back and stop us from conceding goals and they have been doing a good job of that especially Markovic. With Johnson, you have to rely on the other players covering for him leaving other areas exposed.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Michael Oliver's performance was incredibly poor last night, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Johnson is certainly no better than Manquillo at the back, though. I find it quite refreshing to have a right-back who is composed and assured like Manquillo. He's quite a throwback - and he's certainly more of a full-back than wing-back, but it's nice to have a defensively minded player who is unlikely to make a mistake at the back when we have Moreno, Sakho and Skrtel who are all prone to errors.
    I don't think we've seen enough of Manquillo tbh. He's only played 10 league games and we've won 5, drawn 2 and lost 3 with him in the side. We drew, lost 2 and won once in the CL when he's been in the side. Obviously it's not enough information but he's not been so defensively solid along with the rest of our backline that we're getting results.

He's only composed in putting in the tackle or shepherding the ball out of play. He's not composed on the ball so he doesn't get involved with our attacking play. Frankly he struggles with the pace we play at.

The worry is Johnson not tracking back, Markovic and Moreno have the pace to get back and stop us from conceding goals and they have been doing a good job of that especially Markovic. With Johnson, you have to rely on the other players covering for him leaving other areas exposed.
    We haven't seen Johnson at RWB with 3 CBs since you need to do less tracking back. Those 2 have worked hard in parts but at other times they are regularly caught out of position and the CBs or CMs are covering.

I just don't understand the Manquillo love-fest. At best he's been average and if he was older or cost us more money, people would be slating how poor he's been.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Inability to finish is really getting to me now.

Coutinho and Sterling need to start chipping in, and Henderson too.

ReputationRep:
    We haven't seen Johnson at RWB with 3 CBs since you need to do less tracking back. Those 2 have worked hard in parts but at other times they are regularly caught out of position and the CBs or CMs are covering.
    That's true we haven't seen Johnson at RWB so we'll see how he does there. But a wingback who can track back will help a lot with the defence and sometimes be the difference between conceding a goal and stopping a goal.

ReputationRep:
    Inability to finish is really getting to me now.

Coutinho and Sterling need to start chipping in, and Henderson too.
    Enter Daniel Sturridge

That's true we haven't seen Johnson at RWB so we'll see how he does there. But a wingback who can track back will help a lot with the defence and sometimes be the difference between conceding a goal and stopping a goal.
    It's odd that he's played Johnson at RCB and LCB in the last couple of games instead of RWB

ReputationRep:
    It's odd that he's played Johnson at RCB and LCB in the last couple of games instead of RWB
    Probably because there was no one else available apart from Lovren who can play there, don't think Manquillo can play as a CB. Lovren has been dire so maybe Rodgers is giving him a timeout like he did with Mignolet.

ReputationRep:
    Johnson essentially is there to make good runs but he's pretty terrible on the ball in the final third. Just like Ivanovic you'd want your player capable of playing the ball and whipping in good crosses or cutbacks but all he does is make a bit more space for Sterling and even then they'll still just crowd out sterling as Johnson is not a serious threat to goalscoring like e.g. Coleman or Baines are.

ReputationRep:
    Probably because there was no one else available apart from Lovren who can play there, don't think Manquillo can play as a CB. Lovren has been dire so maybe Rodgers is giving him a timeout like he did with Mignolet.
    Well Manquillo is a big lad so if Can can play RCB, why can't he?
    Yea Lovren was the obvious choice. I imagine Toure will be above Lovren in the pecking order too once he returns.

(Original post by jam277)
    Johnson essentially is there to make good runs but he's pretty terrible on the ball in the final third. Just like Ivanovic you'd want your player capable of playing the ball and whipping in good crosses or cutbacks but all he does is make a bit more space for Sterling and even then they'll still just crowd out sterling as Johnson is not a serious threat to goalscoring like e.g. Coleman or Baines are.
    I think Johnson could look better if we moved into the final third quickly but we never do. He then just runs into a player thinking he's Messi. Johnson has scored a couple of belters but not often enough.

ReputationRep:
    Yea Lovren was the obvious choice. I imagine Toure will be above Lovren in the pecking order too once he returns.
    Can has played as a CB before for so it wasn't an unfamiliar position for him which was why Rodgers was comfortable playing him there. Don't think Manquillo has played there before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Is he?!

He and Joe Allen look like pubescent schoolboys!

ReputationRep:
    You should get Smalling for next season.

Mignolet
    Smalling - Skrtel - Sahko
    Markovic - Can - Henderson - Moreno
    Lallana - Coutinho
    Balotelli

ReputationRep:
    Is he?!

He and Joe Allen look like pubescent schoolboys!
    Ah he's only 5"11. I thought he was bigger for some reason.

(Original post by The_Mighty_Bush)
    You should get Smalling for next season.

Mignolet
    Smalling - Skrtel - Sahko
    Markovic - Can - Henderson - Moreno
    Lallana - Coutinho
    Balotelli
    No thanks to Smalling. Would cost a fortune and he'd be poor for us.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Ah he's only 5"11. I thought he was bigger for some reason.
    That's still taller than I thought. He struck me as a Luis Garcia height from a distance.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: January 28, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.