lemxn
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mattbolland)
Hi, does anyone have a copy of the pre release that they can send to me or put on here?? thanks

http://www.geog.biz/wp-content/uploa...B-PM-Jun15.pdf
coronatheatre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by subject1)
Did you make the question up?
nope- one of the predictions that was posted on here a while back.
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
GUYS LOOK AT THIS MAJOR FLAW IN THE MAP P8:

- figure p7 shows 19 or less people live in the grey areas
- figure p8 suggests 24 or less people living in poverty

--> Well, there can't be more than 19 people living in poverty because this is the max number of people who live in the grey area - FLAWED MAP
Adammm8
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Would anyone like to put their input on what the themes are between the maps in the AIB?

Relief brings rainfall, which facilitates agriculture and helps sustain an urban population is one.

Poverty is attributed mostly to the urban demographic, despite 60% of kenyan's living in rural settlements.

Riders operation includes 2 urban settlements, the most severely affected by poverty.

Basically... what do the maps in the AIB suggest you?
ab2468
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JackWilsh10)

--> Well, there can't be more than 19 people living in poverty because this is the max number of people who live in the grey area - FLAWED MAP
I saw this too. Our teacher said that maybe it was something they did to encourage discussion and critical evaluation of the maps.
Los
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
think the emphasis is on 'or less'
subject1
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I noticed this before but I didn't quite understand it.

So for most grey areas there can't actually be more than 19 people living in poverty because it only goes up to 19 people...however, the scale goes up the 24 people. This shows how choropleth maps generalise?? and create a sense of uniformity.

But I guess you could argue that not all of the grey sections in the poverty map are also grey in the pop density map. So for some of the "yellow" areas in P7 they are "grey" in P8, which would give reason for why grey includes 20-24.
lewispaulfrank
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adammm8)
Would anyone like to put their input on what the themes are between the maps in the AIB?

Relief brings rainfall, which facilitates agriculture and helps sustain an urban population is one.

Poverty is attributed mostly to the urban demographic, despite 60% of kenyan's living in rural settlements.

Riders operation includes 2 urban settlements, the most severely affected by poverty.

In my opinion there are two reasons that people live in such high relief areas
1. The more rainfall makes it easier to grow crops (also why crop land is high)
2. Mosquitos can't live in high altitudes

So do to people migrate up hill so there is high pop density and because of high pop density means more slums meaning more poverty. This is why Riders work in these areas
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ab2468)
I saw this too. Our teacher said that maybe it was something they did to encourage discussion and critical evaluation of the maps.
I am worried that the original questions may have contained these sort of questions but have been removed due to the papers being rewritten!
beth09g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Perhaps this is to encourage evaluation on the use of chloropeth maps in relation to the maps that were given to use, seeing as one disadvantage is that the variations within an area are hidden
beth09g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does anyone think that they may bring in the different ways the development can be measured? like using HDI and stuff? maybe the advantages and disadvantages of using HDI?
ab2468
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by beth09g)
Does anyone think that they may bring in the different ways the development can be measured? like using HDI and stuff? maybe the advantages and disadvantages of using HDI?
They could, as they could technically ask anything, but I don't think they would as this relates very closely with development topic etc which many people haven't studied and you are meant to be able to do unit 4b whichever topic you study. Bu tI don't know, suppose they could
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Adammm8)

Precipitation si the highest over the highlands in the south and west of the country. This is due to relief rainfall.

Climate influences vegetation, which determines where people are more likely to settle

Croplands are mainly in the SE of country, which is due to the altitude.
- higher rainfall and lower temperatures are more appropriate for agriculture
- better volcanic soils e..g rift valley - fertile.

Population density highest in the Highlands the coast where temperatures are more moderate (more favourable temperature to live in) and the climate is appropriate for agriculture. The coast has a high population density because the sea moderates temperature as well as the tourism industry.

Density of poverty - Misleading "densest areas also poorest"
- closer examination of the maps show that in general, lower density areas have a greater percentage of people in poverty - but Riders do not operate there.
- instead Riders operate where there is the greatest concentration of people in poverty, not areas that have the greatest percentage of people in poverty.
beth09g
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ab2468)
They could, as they could technically ask anything, but I don't think they would as this relates very closely with development topic etc which many people haven't studied and you are meant to be able to do unit 4b whichever topic you study. Bu tI don't know, suppose they could
True. I just thought of it because it does tie in very well with development- as well as with the health topic. Item 1 involves development indicators so I just thought this may be a possibility!
ab2468
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by beth09g)
True. I just thought of it because it does tie in very well with development- as well as with the health topic. Item 1 involves development indicators so I just thought this may be a possibility!
It is a possibility but would probably be a wide ranging question, where you could incorporate that knowledge, instead of asking just about those indicators. They could definitely ask about the indicators at the beginning of the booklet and ask to show patterns or whatever but probably as part of a question, not a whole question
nobbbly
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Analysis and evaluation of the extent to which Riders or Kenya in general succeeded in reaching their MDG's imo will be a very key question and worth a large number of marks :cry2:
JackWilsh10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nobbbly)
Analysis and evaluation of the extent to which Riders or Kenya in general succeeded in reaching their MDG's imo will be a very key question and worth a large number of marks :cry2:
someone help us... how would you answer this??
subject1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nobbbly)
Well they have failed to meet the MDGs, end off. They expire this year.

However, they have made good progress towards it and you can put some of your own research towards this as well.

Perhaps they may be able to meet them as goals in the future, such as through their vision 2030.
emilyak
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by subject1)
Well they have failed to meet the MDGs, end off. They expire this year.

However, they have made good progress towards it and you can put some of your own research towards this as well.

Perhaps they may be able to meet them as goals in the future, such as through their vision 2030.
Thought this was a good resource!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Attached files
maaitriii
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi does anyone have any notes on each of the items?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads