(Original post by smills12)
    what are natural experiments??
    field experiments

differ from laboratory experiments and thought experiments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by risteard)
    field experiments

differ from laboratory experiments and thought experiments
    what do you mean by thought experiments?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear0398)
    Hi id just like to say that some of you have said Sampling cannot be an essay and I don't mean to burst your bubble but we've wrote essays in class about sampling it can come up actually and is predicted and the predicted question for 12 mark is gender- boys underachievement
    what could you write about sampling ? :s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shreyagand98)
    what could you write about sampling ? :s
    very little at A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smills12)
    what do you mean by thought experiments?
    its in your book, Durkheim. Read it.

ReputationRep:
    Are school documents quantitative or qualitative data?
    Because it could be analysed into quantitative data? I'm confused, helpp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anvianzi)
    Yes pls

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here they are! I'm sorry they took so long - didn't quite realise how much there was to get through...

So these are the flashcards of researchers for Class, Ethnicity and Gender and educational achievement. I know there are a lot but if you can just get down 2 or 3 for each subsection then that would be enough as in a 20 mark question you need to refer to about 2 or 3 researchers!

Please let me know if you can access them easily, and feel free to ask me any question. I hope they are of some help!

https://www.goconqr.com/en-US/p/2762...ash_card_decks

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    they are both

school league tables are quantitative

school reports are qualitative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbidaIslam)
    Are school documents quantitative or qualitative data?
    Because it could be analysed into quantitative data? I'm confused, helpp.
    see my answer above

ReputationRep:
    see my answer above
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    This might be a stupid question, but are the new right and labour basically the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    no worries.

if question is about ethnicity, class or gender:

two points on external/structural reasons

two points on internal/in school reasons

a killer last line would be that achievement is the product of both factors as they intersect with each other, structure produces schools and schools reproduce structure. if i was marking that.....12/12
    Thanks I appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex1496)
    This might be a stupid question, but are the new right and labour basically the same thing?
    technically New Labour are new left

However if you are old labour or a marxist....new labour sold their soul to the neo-liberal devil

ReputationRep:
    technically New Labour are new left

However if you are old labour or a marxist....new labour sold their soul to the neo-liberal devil
    You confused me 'soul to the neo liberal devil' but in general i get it. thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex1496)
    You confused me 'soul to the neo liberal devil' but in general i get it. thanks

lol. they took on some new right ideas, blair shifted labour to the right

ReputationRep:
    Hi i was just wondering if an essay question comes up on reasons why boys are underachieving? what would you write for criticisms? thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirpal7)
    Hi i was just wondering if an essay question comes up on reasons why boys are underachieving? what would you write for criticisms? thanks in advance!
    You could say Jannette Elwood explains how coursework has an effect on achievement of students, and could increase the likelihood of girls achieving more, however due to the fact coursework is usually a small percentage of courses, there is no reason for boys to be doing bad.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    you re looking for explanations not criticisms, there are loads in the stuff i sent you.

there is no substitute for working hard...it's an A level

ReputationRep:
    this really depends on the points you decide making?

For example: boys are underachieving due to the feminisation of education; there are no masculine traits within lessons, such as competition and leadership therefore they underachieve (expand on this point) Instead they are based on organisational and language skills - this benefits girls (as you know in the gender topic)
    Then counter with: higher education (uni) is dominated with male professors/teachers (expand)

Laddish Subcultures is an easy one too, but you can do that

ReputationRep:
    For a 12 Mark:
    If you did a paragraph on the globalization and decline in traditional men's jobs you could criticize it through saying that these traditional jobs did not require qualifications, so it made little difference overall.

Your second paragraph could be on lack of male teachers, your criticism could be that 2/3 of pupils say this doesn't actually impact on their learning (Francis).

Your next one could be on coursework, in which your criticism would be that exams, which boys are supposedly better at, weigh more in the final grade.

In your conclusion, you could say that gender has less of an impact than class:
    accounts for 12% difference in educational achievement, class accounts for 44%.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 23, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.