Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by blessed107)
    Is economic good ? I am planning of studying economics and maths
    Any reasonable (i.e. not knitting studies) degree is good, what's more important is you: the skills, qualities, experience that you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Unless you want to go into law, publishing, journalism, civil sector, academia as a lecturer etc.
    No jobs in law, journalism or publishing; academia very poorly paid and not that easy to get jobs in. Civil service increasingly hard to get into and again poorly paid

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeakysquirrel)
    No jobs in law, journalism or publishing; academia very poorly paid and not that easy to get jobs in. Civil service increasingly hard to get into and again poorly paid
    If you're good enough, there are jobs in law, my sister has just been offered a good one after only a month of searching. Academia usually pays around £30,000 a year, not at all poorly paid in my opinion, I could happily live on that. Civil service is competitive granted, but provided you're intelligent, attend a top uni and are motivated, there will be places available for you, and the rising payscale saw many jobs end up with around £30,000 last I checked, a good wage for most people.

If you just go to university, get absolutely no experience or build contacts, then you're right, with a humanities you're disadvantaged. If you go to a top uni, get great experience and build contacts, you will do fine.

All I want is enough to live on comfortably, I'd rather earn £30,000 and love my job, than £70,000 and hate it. I've grown up around people with great wealth, and have seen that money does not ultinately create happiness.

ReputationRep:
    If you're good enough, there are jobs in law, my sister has just been offered a good one after only a month of searching. Academia usually pays around £30,000 a year, not at all poorly paid in my opinion, I could happily live on that. Civil service is competitive granted, but provided you're intelligent, attend a top uni and are motivated, there will be places available for you, and the rising payscale saw many jobs end up with around £30,000 last I checked, a good wage for most people.

If you just go to university, get absolutely no experience or build contacts, then you're right, with a humanities you're disadvantaged. If you go to a top uni, get great experience and build contacts, you will do fine.

All I want is enough to live on comfortably, I'd rather earn £30,000 and love my job, than £70,000 and hate it. I've grown up around people with great wealth, and have seen that money does not ultinately create happiness.
    Try living in London on £30k/year.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you want to go into law, publishing, journalism, civil sector, academia as a lecturer etc.
    Oh yeah, all thriving employment sectors....? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blessed107)
    Is economic good ? I am planning of studying economics and maths
    Economics is almost always in the top 5 earning degrees and occasionally comes top once niche subjects are excluded.

ReputationRep:
    Underrated: Languages
    Overrated: Medicine

ReputationRep:
    I think plumbing is most underrated.

ReputationRep:
    Try living in London on £30k/year.
    I don't want to live in London, I really dislike the place.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think most degrees are overrated. This nonsense that 50% of us have to get a degree has just impoverished many of us. You can now get a degree in nannying from Norlands - WHAT! - . And it is blooming expensive.
    My understanding is that it is BA (hons ) early years childhood studies from university of Gloucestershire but delivered at Norlands who also award a diploma

ReputationRep:
    The most underrated degree is theology as the difficulty that has to do with languages(of course proficiency in English in the UK is the basic, but knowing Hebrew, Latin and Greeks and other European languages are a big plus), philosophy, literacy, social sciences including religious studies, archaeology, sociology, history etc.
    Understanding moral questions to do with modern society, to the complexity to do with many things such as music, arts and liturgies etc-- to the studies about religions such as Islam in the globalizing world.. or talking about Catholicism, it has different understanding of the doctrine from society to society as for instance how the Easterners take positive theology on the immaculate conception while westerners take negative theology into their hearts.. tell me that it is not underrated, you may not be a fool but completely ignorant about the natures of other subjects other than your field!
    Ps. I am not doing theology but many of my friends are theologians in Durham.

ReputationRep:
    I was verbally informed that one of the most underrated degrees is (heavy) electrical engineering. Only a few thousand students study this every year.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Any reasonable (i.e. not knitting studies) degree is good, what's more important is you: the skills, qualities, experience that you have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Old post I know but

You’d be amazed at the size and diversity of the knitting industry in the uk. There’s entire library archives devoted to knitting patterns and fabric development and new knitting techniques (manual and mechanical) are highly sought after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by august12123)
    The most underrated degree is theology as the difficulty that has to do with languages(of course proficiency in English in the UK is the basic, but knowing Hebrew, Latin and Greeks and other European languages are a big plus), philosophy, literacy, social sciences including religious studies, archaeology, sociology, history etc.
    Understanding moral questions to do with modern society, to the complexity to do with many things such as music, arts and liturgies etc-- to the studies about religions such as Islam in the globalizing world.. or talking about Catholicism, it has different understanding of the doctrine from society to society as for instance how the Easterners take positive theology on the immaculate conception while westerners take negative theology into their hearts.. tell me that it is not underrated, you may not be a fool but completely ignorant about the natures of other subjects other than your field!
    Ps. I am not doing theology but many of my friends are theologians in Durham.
    I actually met a lecturer of theology at Durham, he was a pretty cool dude.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by PQ)
    Old post I know but

You’d be amazed at the size and diversity of the knitting industry in the uk. There’s entire library archives devoted to knitting patterns and fabric development and new knitting techniques (manual and mechanical) are highly sought after.
    Woah, learn something new every day!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    foreign language degrees are underrated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    foreign language degrees are underrated
    Why tho? They are fairly useless as everyone speaks english anyways, and I'll be damned if I go to live anywhere but the UK or the US
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by tinycharlie)
    Why tho? They are fairly useless as everyone speaks english anyways, and I'll be damned if I go to live anywhere but the UK or the US
    media, publishing, business, teaching english in foreign countries pays well...
    and i just think learning a language to degree level is impressive to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by entertainmyfaith)
    media, publishing, business, teaching english in foreign countries pays well...
    and i just think learning a language to degree level is impressive to me.
    Why is it impressive? You spend 4 years and thousands of pounds to learn the language, how is it impressive? I'd be impressed if someone taught themselves, but a foreign language degree in itself provides next to no value unless you want to move abroad, and even in places abroad most large international companies conduct all their business in English. And unless you learn arabic and move to Dubai and work in 50C+ weather, you'd be making less money than compared with living in the UK or US, and in my opinion massive drop in life quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmmarTa)
    I actually met a lecturer of theology at Durham, he was a pretty cool dude.
    In fact, many lecturers there are cool. Many are very outspoken and have a completely different style comparing to other departments/universities' lecturers. Not simply the lecturers and professors, but many students I have met there are smarter, more cultured and have a better non-conformist style of thinking than other groups even by comparing to some PPE students I have encountered.... Of course, personal experience can be biased but no doubt that they, in general, are one of the best group... The level of intelligence and cultural knowledge is....amazing!

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.