Turn on thread page Beta

Labour's Exteme Left Shadow Cabinet, no women in top jobs & appoints John McDonnell! watch

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  15.0 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DMcGovern)
    Yes, in the same way that the n word is not always used derogatively.
    Well that word seems only to be used by those it applies to these days, so is almost never used in a derogatory way..

I use fenian, and I have never used it derogatively, merely as a convenient and appropriate shorthand. But then I don't support sectarian football teams.

ReputationRep:
    The Birmingham and Guildford pub bombings were reckless and unjustified, some PIRA activity was out of order but that's because volunteers were given the responsibility to carry out their own operations without orders or needing to ask the Army Council because it didn't correspond with guerrilla tactics. I abhor such events and don't seek to explain such events.

Sectarian attacks by republicans were very few, if any. The vast, vast majority were carried out by loyalists - see above.
    The mess in Northern Ireland is British in creation but Irish in continuation. There should be acknowledgment from everyone involved that a lot of blood has been spilt in vain and the wishes of people in NI should be respected with a democratic referendum on its future in the UK, with the ROI or on its own.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    The mess in Northern Ireland is British in creation but Irish in continuation. There should be acknowledgment from everyone involved that a lot of blood has been spilt in vain and the wishes of people in NI should be respected with a democratic referendum on its future in the UK, with the ROI or on its own.
    I think the rest of the UK should be offered a referendum on whether we want to keep NI. I suspect they'd soon be part of the republic.

The so-called loyalists are utter madmen. What do they think they are being loyal to? We don't parade up and down for hours on end, being rowdy and celebrating 300-year old battles just to upset our neighbours.

I suspect a referendum in NI would preserve the status quo. All the loyalists would vote that way, and so would many catholics (for economic reasons).

NI will have a persistent organised crime problem for years to come, as the armed nutters from both sides try to preserve their past role in society and carry on their old ways.

ReputationRep:
    I abhor such events and don't seek to explain such events.
    Well said.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I think the rest of the UK should be offered a referendum on whether we want to keep NI. I suspect they'd soon be part of the republic.

The so-called loyalists are utter madmen. What do they think they are being loyal to? We don't parade up and down for hours on end, being rowdy and celebrating 300-year old battles just to upset our neighbours.

I suspect a referendum in NI would preserve the status quo. All the loyalists would vote that way, and so would many catholics (for economic reasons).

NI will have a persistent organised crime problem for years to come, as the armed nutters from both sides try to preserve their past role in society and carry on their old ways.
    It's a rerun of the cruel old joke that republicans are too clever too admit they've lost and loyalists too stupid to see they've won. Only the other day, someone reminded me of another unkind story: that republican prisoners in the Maze did college courses while Protestant paramilitaries did the bodybuilding variety.

There was secret footage filmed in the Maze prison which few have seen of loyalists sitting in classrooms while professors Ervine and Spence educated them in the matters of why they were even there, most of them having no real idea beyond "I killed a man."

Remember the City Hall protests? They were so embarassing. Uneducated thugs holding a city to ransom and let's face it, the PSNI would not be so easy going with similar rioting in Republican areas of NI.The event caused a portion of the Protestant community ('fleggers') to make international pricks of themselves as they proceeded to wreck the ****ing place, claiming it was another erosion of a 'British' identity they perceive to have been under attack since the horrifying spectre of equality reared its head in the North of Ireland.

The word 'fleg' - and indeed 'fleggers' - fittingly describes a section of humanity unconcerned with knowledge, reality or the vagaries of the English language. Like America's tea-baggers they are ruled by instinct, fear and paranoia with a side dish of rampant bigotry and startling ignorance of the world around them."Wat de **** like! The taigs got de fleg took down! Let's wreck de ****in place! No surrender!"

ReputationRep:
    The Birmingham and Guildford pub bombings were reckless and unjustified, some PIRA activity was out of order but that's because volunteers were given the responsibility to carry out their own operations without orders or needing to ask the Army Council because it didn't correspond with guerrilla tactics. I abhor such events and don't seek to explain such events.

Sectarian attacks by republicans were very few, if any. The vast, vast majority were carried out by loyalists - see above.
    There was not enough evidence- The IRA was behind the attacks but was released due to inconsistencies in the story. I have learnt not to trust what you are told. Raul Moat inexplicably shot people, the truth was they had 6 hours advanced knowledge and let it happen.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by BigItch)
    There was not enough evidence- The IRA was behind the attacks but was released due to inconsistencies in the story. I have learnt not to trust what you are told. Raul Moat inexplicably shot people, the truth was they had 6 hours advanced knowledge and let it happen.
    Who in God's name is Raul Moat?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The extreme-left are always funny and hypocritical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    The extreme-left are always funny and hypocritical.
    So is claiming to represent people and opposing gay marriage and anti-discrimination laws.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    He shot dead several people and blinded a police officer in Newcastle.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    So is claiming to represent people and opposing gay marriage and anti-discrimination laws.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Again, I wish I was able to rep another one of your posts
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by United1892)
    He shot dead several people and blinded a police officer in Newcastle.
    Okay, but how is he relevant to the subject matter?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Posted from TSR Mobile
    4 million votes is representing people, opposing gay marriage is a twisted way of looking at it (most agree but some say marriage should stick to it's definition and have another name for gay marriage.)
    UKIP believes in freedom of speech, as do most.

ReputationRep:
    Google it he patrolled around shooting people in Northumberland in 2010. Yeah the government (tories)had 6 hours knowledge and let it happen rather than arresting him before hand.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, but how is he relevant to the subject matter?
    apparently the police knew what he was going to do but did nothing according to bigitch, but im not sure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    apparently the police knew what he was going to do but did nothing according to bigitch, but im not sure.
    Sure they knew all about RUC and army collusion with loyalists and did nothing until recently - look at Pat Finucane, Bloody Sunday (slightly different), the Ballymurphy Massacre (Belfast's Bloody Sunday - also different) and the burglary of weapons from RUC/UDR weapons sheds.
    Downing Street told RUC: Carry on and just don't get caught.

ReputationRep:
    From an MI5 connection who roams between WM and Northumberland way, it is all secret societies I could publish something more dramatic but it will get my contact the instant sack. BTW my contact is a colleague outside the mi5 - they work closely with some police departments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by balanced)
    4 million votes is representing people, opposing gay marriage is a twisted way of looking at it (most agree but some say marriage should stick to it's definition and have another name for gay marriage.)
    UKIP believes in freedom of speech, as do most.
    4 million voted in frustration I suspect without looking at UKIP's domestic policies. Wanting to scrap anti-discrimination laws is an abhorrent idea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Again, I wish I was able to rep another one of your posts
    Much as I appreciate that Mr McGovern I find your endorsement of the PIRA difficult to agree with. I agree with you though that the UVF go under the radar when it comes to coverage as does the British role in the sorry state of the province.

As long as NI is in the union we cannot keep hoping the problems will go away of their own accord.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.