Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Do y'all go to church? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm Muslim so I only go when my school forces me to go.

ReputationRep:
    Have a blessed lent y'all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    Interesting. May I ask what led to you turning back towards Christianity, and why you looked towards Baptist Church instead of Catholicism? (If you don't mind me asking)
    I think my atheism was wavering for a while, all last year after my grandmother passed away. I felt lost, and I started looking at different beliefs...Buddhism, Islam and then Deism. Only to still be left feeling kind of flat, emotionally. I then resigned myself to the fact that there probably is no god, and atheism made sense to me in many ways. But atheism isn't comforting, on an emotional level, I found out on my own. Last fall, I had what I would call an encounter with the Holy Spirit, it was moving...it was physically moving, and emotionally amazing. For the first time in four years, I had missed Jesus, and instantly...my life took a different path. I found myself not interested in social media as much and the things that used to interest me. I found a new found joy, and peace and also for the first time, felt born again. I never understood being born again...and the reason I didn't return to the Catholic faith is that it doesn't talk much about being born again. The Catholic Church is very much about rituals, rules, and following 'the Church.' I don't knock it, but it just seems to project this idea that everyone needs the Church to get closer to Jesus, and that's false. Jesus let me leave, and He came back for me. And there were other experiences that happened, that caused me to really believe that Jesus is real...and I will never leave the faith again after all that happened.

ReputationRep:
    I don't go nearly as I used to in my hometown; I used to love going to my old Baptist but I moved away to Uni and I could never find a church quite as nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Deidre*)
    I think my atheism was wavering for a while, all last year after my grandmother passed away. I felt lost, and I started looking at different beliefs...Buddhism, Islam and then Deism. Only to still be left feeling kind of flat, emotionally. I then resigned myself to the fact that there probably is no god, and atheism made sense to me in many ways. But atheism isn't comforting, on an emotional level, I found out on my own. Last fall, I had what I would call an encounter with the Holy Spirit, it was moving...it was physically moving, and emotionally amazing. For the first time in four years, I had missed Jesus, and instantly...my life took a different path. I found myself not interested in social media as much and the things that used to interest me. I found a new found joy, and peace and also for the first time, felt born again. I never understood being born again...and the reason I didn't return to the Catholic faith is that it doesn't talk much about being born again. The Catholic Church is very much about rituals, rules, and following 'the Church.' I don't knock it, but it just seems to project this idea that everyone needs the Church to get closer to Jesus, and that's false. Jesus let me leave, and He came back for me. And there were other experiences that happened, that caused me to really believe that Jesus is real...and I will never leave the faith again after all that happened.
    Wow. I think some of the best things of following Jesus is that someone can share through your weaknesses. I've been in the same road before; atheism and all that. I started soul-searching, met Jesus then it's all history. Amazing. May your walk with Christ be fruitful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Deidre*)
    Wow!! Glad to hear that, it's really an aspiring story.
    I have almost the same history as you, I have left Jesus for a while and didn't pay much attention to Christianity but then last year, I was feeling lost and emotionally sick so I have decided to go to church and a feeling of joy just came back which I was waiting for it to happen, I immediately felt belonged and I knew that Jesus loved me so much that he didn't want me to go away, and now I am grateful for everything positive that have ever happened to me especially last year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody going to any church services this Easter?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I want to but doubt I'm in a fit state to

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes I go to church every Sunday with my mum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    I want to but doubt I'm in a fit state to

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear that. I hope it picks up soon

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but the title of the thread reminded me of this song...

Take me to church - Hozier :laugh:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pretty cool song

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I don't know why but the title of the thread reminded me of this song...

Take me to church - Hozier :laugh:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Pretty cool song
    I like it!

ReputationRep:

As I go anyway I'll just continue over Christmas

Some very inspirational posts on here about returning to Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    As I go anyway I'll just continue over Christmas

Some very inspirational posts on here about returning to Jesus.
    Which denomination do you follow?

ReputationRep:
    Which denomination do you follow?

Well for me its not a case of which denomination. I go to the church where the preaches are inspired by the bible and are filled with the Holy Spirit. One that does a lot of work in the community and is friendly and welcoming.

My personality doesn't do to well with the stand up sit down, read everything form a book type of thing. I like more freedom and more variety.

I would say I'm CofE leaning to free church style

NB If anyone is in Central London and hasn't found a church yet I'd recommend one which has lots of students.

St Pauls, Onslow Square, South Kensington. - Sundays at 4.30pm.

ReputationRep:
    Well for me its not a case of which denomination. I go to the church where the preaches are inspired by the bible and are filled with the Holy Spirit. One that does a lot of work in the community and is friendly and welcoming.

My personality doesn't do to well with the stand up sit down, read everything form a book type of thing. I like more freedom and more variety.

I would say I'm CofE leaning to free church style

NB If anyone is in Central London and hasn't found a church yet I'd recommend one which has lots of students.

St Pauls, Onslow Square, South Kensington. - Sundays at 4.30pm.
    Omg on slow square is within walking distance from my house

ReputationRep:
    no, since God is a pipedream..

No a Christian, but I visited a Church and it was beautiful and peaceful,

ReputationRep:
    Omg on slow square is within walking distance from my house

Get outta here!!!!!

Give it a go if its a stroll away. No excuses now

ReputationRep:
    Get outta here!!!!!

Give it a go if its a stroll away. No excuses now
    Thank you. I didn't even realise there was a church that's attended by alot of students

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 20, 2017
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.