Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

2015/16 Rugby (Union) Season Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thatsthespirit)
    Thanks man! Worcester Warriors v London Irish. I'm about a 20 minute drive from Sixways so they seem the feasible team to follow. There's so much I still gotta learn about the game though... I'm still not 100% on the rules haha
    Thats a really important game in terms of the battle at the bottom, if Worcester win they are pretty much 100% safe so they'll be up for it Should be an exciting match! Worcester are my second team so yeah good choice

Im sure you'll pick it up as you go along
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Can't wait for Saints to take on Harlequins, and then we've got Wasps/Northampton to look forward to in a couple of weeks. Great games coming thick and fast now we're in the back end of the season.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah indeed! Really exciting game.

I think the pivotal game will be Saints v Tigers . I think Exeter, Sarries and wasps will finish in the top 4 with Saints and Tigers (possibly quins) fighting for 4th
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I know it's Rugby League, but those scenes of fighting between the players and fans at Salford are truly surprising. No place for that in British sport.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    I know it's Rugby League, but those scenes of fighting between the players and fans at Salford are truly surprising. No place for that in British sport.
    Fights break out between players and between fans in all sports. In fact in union when I fight does occur between players , the officials leave them to it because they know that it'll die down eventually as they're all civilised people

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had a great time Saturday even though a try wasn't scored. Loved it when Worcester got close though, it was just a shame I couldn't have joined in what looks like a fun celebration! (Similar to scoring a goal in football I guess)
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Lots of people suggesting it will be 1) Sarries 2) Wasps 3) Chiefs 4) Saints at the end of the season. That would give us exactly the same matches as one half of the Champions Cup draw.

At least we'd know what our top 4 teams were I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saracen's Fez)
    Lots of people suggesting it will be 1) Sarries 2) Wasps 3) Chiefs 4) Saints at the end of the season. That would give us exactly the same matches as one half of the Champions Cup draw.

At least we'd know what our top 4 teams were I guess.
    Even though Tigers finished 2nd in the total Europe table

But yes, I have to admit, since January, we haven't hit any form at all and at the moment deserve to be in 5th in the premiership. If we can beat Saints then I think we will be okay but that is a tough ask and I'm not sure weather I can see it coming
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Keep the Faith
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by matt1306)
    Even though Tigers finished 2nd in the total Europe table

But yes, I have to admit, since January, we haven't hit any form at all and at the moment deserve to be in 5th in the premiership. If we can beat Saints then I think we will be okay but that is a tough ask and I'm not sure weather I can see it coming
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Keep the Faith
    They had a good Champions Cup, fair play to them, even if they did have the Italian entrant in their pool, which almost guarantees the pool winners a high seeding (see Racing last year – IIRC they were seeded top).

In any case it's the same top 5 in England in terms of the Aviva and the Champions Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for the weekend?

Im going for semi finals to be;

Saracens v Wasps
    Tigers v Racing 92
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Any predictions for the weekend?

Im going for semi finals to be;

Saracens v Wasps
    Tigers v Racing 92
    Statistically there's one away win per year, isn't there? Have a funny feeling it will be either Northampton or Stade I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically there's one away win per year, isn't there? Have a funny feeling it will be either Northampton or Stade I'm afraid.
    Know what you mean, can't see it being Northampton, even though Northampton seam to have the beating over the last few years against Sarries, I can't see Sarries messing this one up especially with form and confidence. I think we'll go well against Stade and should be alright as long as the home crowd gets into it which I'm sure will happen. For me, If there is an away win, I'd give it to Toulon because we know they can turn on the style when they want to and they beat Racing 2/3 weeks ago at Racing.

But who knows, anything could happen.

ReputationRep:
    My ideal semis would be Sarries-Exeter, and Racing-Leicester.
    Of course, my ideal semis probably don't correlate at all with what will actually happen!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Know what you mean, can't see it being Northampton, even though Northampton seam to have the beating over the last few years against Sarries, I can't see Sarries messing this one up especially with form and confidence. I think we'll go well against Stade and should be alright as long as the home crowd gets into it which I'm sure will happen. For me, If there is an away win, I'd give it to Toulon because we know they can turn on the style when they want to and they beat Racing 2/3 weeks ago at Racing.

But who knows, anything could happen.
    Toulon is a good shout actually for the away win – as a quarter-final only would be an enormous underachievement for them.

Leicester-Racing though would be held in the UK (at Nottingham Forest IIRC) so I hope it is that.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to steer the conversation guys, but in my short time following Rugby and only attending one game I was wondering how the whole 'supporting a team' thing worked. In football for example you see Manchester United shirts all over the country and although the odd bit of banter of 'support your local team' how does this get taken when supporting a Rugby team?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Thatsthespirit)
    Sorry to steer the conversation guys, but in my short time following Rugby and only attending one game I was wondering how the whole 'supporting a team' thing worked. In football for example you see Manchester United shirts all over the country and although the odd bit of banter of 'support your local team' how does this get taken when supporting a Rugby team?
    Because rugby isn't quite sol popular, I think people do tend to support their local team if they have one nearby. I think people care less at the top level though if you pick a team from the other side of the country (unless perhaps you live in a town with its own Premiership team) because the rivalries are usually friendlier.

ReputationRep:
    Toulon is a good shout actually for the away win – as a quarter-final only would be an enormous underachievement for them.

Leicester-Racing though would be held in the UK (at Nottingham Forest IIRC) so I hope it is that.
    I hope its Leicester - Racing too!

ReputationRep:
    Wow...Well done Wasps and unlucky exeter. What a game.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Wow...Well done Wasps and unlucky exeter. What a game.
    Incredible game and a pretty incredible atmosphere at the Ricoh by the sound of it.

Sarries really struggling against Saints so far though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a match at Wasps today. Sounded great. They are having a heck of a season.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.