Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by economicss)
    Zacken Please could you upload a sketch, thanks so much!
    Step 1: You know the curves intersect at \theta = \pi/12, 5\pi/12 - draw these half-lines.

Step 2: Find the area of the sector bounded between these two half lines and the circle. \frac{1}{2} \times a^2 \times \frac{\pi}{6}

Step 3: Find the blue shaded bits using integration of C1 from 0 to pi/12 + integration of C1 from 5pi/12 to pi/2.

Add step 2 + step 3.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  255.2 KB
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Step 1: You know the curves intersect at \theta = \pi/12, 5\pi/12 - draw these half-lines.

Step 2: Find the area of the sector bounded between these two half lines and the circle. \frac{1}{2} \times a^2 \times \frac{\pi}{6}

Step 3: Find the blue shaded bits using integration of C1 from 0 to pi/12 + integration of C1 from 5pi/12 to pi/2.

Add step 2 + step 3.

Thank you!! Please could you explain a bit of this question to me, I got it right apart from I thought the angle for the sector of the circle would be pi/ 6 as if it's 2pi/3 plus the other area I worked out then wouldn't this be the top bit of the circle rather than the shaded bit? Or is my
    Method incorrect? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  255.2 KB

Thank you!! Please could you explain a bit of this question to me, I got it right apart from I thought the angle for the sector of the circle would be pi/ 6 as if it's 2pi/3 plus the other area I worked out then wouldn't this be the top bit of the circle rather than the shaded bit? Or is my
    Method incorrect? Thanks
    Zacken

Zacken
    How many of your qs has the poor guy helped you with ahaha, he's probs got work of his own to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    How many of your qs has the poor guy helped you with ahaha, he's probs got work of his own to do.
    Sorry haha, I got rejected from Cambridge btw if that was why you had animosity towards me 😂

ReputationRep:
    Zacken
    Zacken's not going to be there in the exam. Try and do as much as possible yourself and use other resources such as examsolutions, mark schemes etc to get the answer, because you have to remember that even though zacken is insanely patient at some point his patience will run out if you keep spamming him with questions, so I'd suggest you try and rely on him a bit less.

Sorry haha, I got rejected from Cambridge btw if that was why you had animosity towards me 😂
    What ahaha

ReputationRep:

Method incorrect? Thanks
    Surely the two half lines are \frac{\pi}{6} and \frac{5\pi}{6} so that the "top" angle between those two lines is \frac{2\pi}{3} and hence the "bottom" angle or the sector angle is 2\pi - \frac{2\pi}{3} = \frac{4\pi}{3}.

Caveat: I've barely looked at the question.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a nice and short question:

If the complex number \displaystyle z=\left ( 1+i\tan\theta \right )^{3},

Show that \displaystyle 1-3\tan^{2}\theta \equiv \dfrac{\cos3\theta}{\cos^{3} \theta}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    I've got a nice and short question:

If the complex number \displaystyle z=\left ( 1+i\tan\theta \right )^{3},

Show that \displaystyle 1-3\tan^{2}\theta \equiv \dfrac{\cos3\theta}{\cos^{3} \theta}.
    Side note, you could also just do:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} 1 - \frac{3\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^2 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos^2 \theta - 3\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^2 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos^3 \theta - 3\cos \theta \sin^2 \theta}{\cos^3 \theta} \equiv \frac{\Re \left(\cos \theta + i\sin \theta\right)^3}{\cos^3 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos 3\theta}{\cos^3 \theta} \end{equation*}

Edit to add: I can't immediately see how to do it the way you intended. I get that \Re(1 + i\tan \theta)^3 = 1 - 3\tan^2 \theta, but then what?

ReputationRep:
    Side note, you could also just do:

\displaystyle

\begin{equation*} 1 - \frac{3\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^2 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos^2 \theta - 3\sin^2 \theta}{\cos^2 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos^3 \theta - 3\cos \theta \sin^2 \theta}{\cos^3 \theta} \equiv \frac{\Re \left(\cos \theta + i\sin \theta\right)^3}{\cos^3 \theta} \equiv \frac{\cos 3\theta}{\cos^3 \theta} \end{equation*}

Edit to add: I can't immediately see how to do it the way you intended. I get that \Re(1 + i\tan \theta)^3 = 1 - 3\tan^2 \theta, but then what?
     \displaystyle (1 + i\tan \theta)^3

\displaystyle \left(\frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta} + i\frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta}\right)^3

\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{\cos \theta}\right)^3 \: (\cos \theta + i\sin \theta)^3

then regular de moivre theorem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
     \displaystyle (1 + i\tan \theta)^3

\displaystyle \left(\frac{\cos \theta}{\cos \theta} + i\frac{\sin \theta}{\cos \theta}\right)^3

\displaystyle \left(\frac{1}{\cos \theta}\right)^3 \: (\cos \theta + i\sin \theta)^3

then regular de moivre theorem
    Oh, niiice. Obvious in hindsight. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459972510.981910.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  37.1 KB
    Hey everyone
    Does anyone know which paper is this?or how to get its markscheme? I tried looking it up online couldn't find anything. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkhan9625)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1459972510.981910.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  37.1 KB
    Hey everyone
    Does anyone know which paper is this?or how to get its markscheme? I tried looking it up online couldn't find anything. Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
    june 2013 withdrawn paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DylanJ42)
    june 2013 withdrawn paper
    Thanks a lot

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could anyone give any advice please on sketching the graph in question 5cii of this paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi, could anyone give any advice please on sketching the graph in question 5cii of this paper https://8dedc505ac3fba908c50836f5905...%20Edexcel.pdf Thanks
    Literally just done this paper. Uhm, you should know that there are minimum points at (\pm \sqrt{2} ,4) and that the y-axis is an asymptote (since you have x^2 in the denominator) and then the graph tends to positive infinity as x approaches infinity. Then the curve tails off the positive infinity as x tends to positive and negative infinity. Also there is symmetry in the y-axis because it's an even function i.e f(-x) = f(x) since all your x terms are squared.

Edit: also your function will always lie above your x-axis since it is always positive due to the squared terms.

ReputationRep:
    Literally just done this paper. Uhm, you should know that there are minimum points at (\pm \sqrt{2} ,4) and that the y-axis is an asymptote (since you have x^2 in the denominator) and then the graph tends to positive infinity as x approaches infinity. Then the curve tails off the positive infinity as x tends to positive and negative infinity. Also there is symmetry in the y-axis because it's an even function i.e f(-x) = f(x) since all your x terms are squared.

Edit: also your function will always lie above your x-axis since it is always positive due to the squared terms.
    How did you do? Thanks for that, very helpful

ReputationRep:
    How did you do? Thanks for that, very helpful
    I did okay, it was a nice one, I think. You?

ReputationRep:
    I did okay, it was a nice one, I think. You?
    Yeah okay thanks Hoping we get a similar difficulty one this year!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2017
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.