Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Senior Maths Challenge 2015 predicted thresholds and past thresholds watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    When do we get our official mark and division back? Attempting to recall the answers I receive and corresponding them to the solutions, I managed to get 74 marks. I'm pretty happy with that considering my decision to sit it was very last-minute (so no preparation), but it would still be nice to get gold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs)
    When do we get our official mark and division back? Attempting to recall the answers I receive and corresponding them to the solutions, I managed to get 74 marks. I'm pretty happy with that considering my decision to sit it was very last-minute (so no preparation), but it would still be nice to get gold.
    Very, very unlikely that 74 is Gold, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Very, very unlikely that 74 is Gold, unfortunately.
    Yeah, I know, I was just hoping that I would receive more marks from my official score than from cross-referencing what I could remember, if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know, I was just hoping that I would receive more marks from my official score than from cross-referencing what I could remember, if that makes sense
    How many did you answer in total?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    How many did you answer in total?
    I answered 17/25. I'm certain I got 13 of those correct, but am uncertain about the 3 others. My logic for one of the 3 was similar to the one presented in the solutions, but I think I made a last-minute arithmetic error, causing me to lose 5 marks.

ReputationRep:
    I answered 17/25. I'm certain I got 13 of those correct, but am uncertain about the 3 others. My logic for one of the 3 was similar to the one presented in the solutions, but I think I made a last-minute arithmetic error, causing me to lose 5 marks.
    You'll likely need at least 16 correct for a gold, but who knows the 3 you're unsure about could all be correct :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bruhh)
    You'll likely need at least 16 correct for a gold, but who knows the 3 you're unsure about could all be correct :P
    Here's hoping, however unlikely :cheers:

One of the classrooms were given an unofficial answer sheet, and one guy in my further maths class got 110/125! To be fair, both of his parents are university professors and maths PhD holders. Perhaps having parents with a high intellectual status had a significant effect on his work ethic and mathematical ability?

ReputationRep:
    Here's hoping, however unlikely :cheers:

One of the classrooms were given an unofficial answer sheet, and one guy in my further maths class got 110/125! To be fair, both of his parents are university professors and maths PhD holders. Perhaps having parents with a high intellectual status had a significant effect on his work ethic and mathematical ability?
    I don't know about work ethic, but if you have parents like that then it's extremely likely that'll you'll be very, very good at maths. Other people like me have no maths (specifically) running in the family so have to squeeze every drop out of the natural ability we have...

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about work ethic, but if you have parents like that then it's extremely likely that'll you'll be very, very good at maths. Other people like me have no maths (specifically) running in the family so have to squeeze every drop out of the natural ability we have...
    I too wish i had maths Geniuses in my family!! So inconvenient when you have noone to go to and have to learn it all yourself! Especially for the bmo questions i thimk, more so than the smc ones

ReputationRep:
    Eh, no big deal. Just got to read up a lot, I guess. I also doubt having a clever family makes it very probable you would be naturally exceptional in maths. I'd say being above average would be extremely likely but most of it comes down to upbringing. Even then, you can only go so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SushiBunny)
    Eh, no big deal. Just got to read up a lot, I guess. I also doubt having a clever family makes it very probable you would be naturally exceptional in maths. I'd say being above average would be extremely likely but most of it comes down to upbringing. Even then, you can only go so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't really think upbringing is so important. It is mainly about natural ability in my opinion.
    I'm pretty sure that having a family who are outstanding at maths makes it probable that you'll be exceptional at maths.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think upbringing is so important. It is mainly about natural ability in my opinion.
    I'm pretty sure that having a family who are outstanding at maths makes it probable that you'll be exceptional at maths.
    I do. My opinion has been that genes only give you the potential to be outstanding at maths, but only practice can actually get you further. If your family is not great at maths, then you'll probably have to do a lot more practice to get to the same level as someone who has an exceptional family and had done little practice, and also you would expect to not be good as them, no matter how much work you put in, given that they were also working hard. But it's no use just having the natural ability if you can't use it fully because you haven't put in enough work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SushiBunny)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree. Upbringing/environjenr is the key upto a certain point.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renzhi10122)
    I do. My opinion has been that genes only give you the potential to be outstanding at maths, but only practice can actually get you further. If your family is not great at maths, then you'll probably have to do a lot more practice to get to the same level as someone who has an exceptional family and had done little practice, and also you would expect to not be good as them, no matter how much work you put in, given that they were also working hard. But it's no use just having the natural ability if you can't use it fully because you haven't put in enough work.
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was arguing that genes give you the potential to be outstanding at maths, as you said. Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I've been talking about potential and not actual output/results.
    Exactly everything you said is the point I was trying to make. When I say exceptional at maths, I mean having a very large amount of ability/potential. Of course you have to work hard to realise it.

ReputationRep:
    I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was arguing that genes give you the potential to be outstanding at maths, as you said. Maybe I didn't make it clear, but I've been talking about potential and not actual output/results.
    Exactly everything you said is the point I was trying to make. When I say exceptional at maths, I mean having a very large amount of ability/potential. Of course you have to work hard to realise it.
    Aha, then I agree with you completely

ReputationRep:
    Aha, then I agree with you completely
    How did yoh prepare for the BMO?
    Did you put a lot of work into it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theworkkid)
    How did yoh prepare for the BMO?
    Did you put a lot of work into it?
    For BMO2 yeah, I put an average amount of work into BMO1.

ReputationRep:
    For BMO2 yeah, I put an average amount of work into BMO1.
    Had you learnt all of the content before hand or did you have to learn it specifically for BMO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theworkkid)
    Had you learnt all of the content before hand or did you have to learn it specifically for BMO
    I had to learn most of it, but there wasn't much to learn at that stage really.The most important thing I had to learn was induction, but that was fairly simple once I properly decided to read up on it. You basically learn more and more as you do questions, spotting things that you had spotted in older questions etc helping you to solve it.

ReputationRep:
    I had to learn most of it, but there wasn't much to learn at that stage really.The most important thing I had to learn was induction, but that was fairly simple once I properly decided to read up on it. You basically learn more and more as you do questions, spotting things that you had spotted in older questions etc helping you to solve it.
    Ahh i see, how long before did you start?

And do you have any good resources to read induction on because i tried googling it but it was so basic that i didnt rrally know how to apply it to the bmo questions

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.