Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ItsLyanna)
    Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^
    What actually is feminism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xavier617)
    How do you propose we should go about negotiating with Boko haram or ISIL? (I know we're not technically at war, but we are involved in fighting ISIL/IS/ISIS, and Boko Haram are a growing threat)
    Well, I mean, warmongering caused them to rise up in the first place, so...

ReputationRep:
    Can you, publically, as a feminist, please rid of the made-up rumour of some "gender-pay gap" thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm not?
    You're a feminist, so you are. Modern day feminists are against equality, they want better treatment for women than men.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think feminism should be directed at those in third world places who have a lot more to benefit from it? I say this as I feel there isn't much more for it to be done in developed countries especially with the stigma surrounding it.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I mean, warmongering caused them to rise up in the first place, so...
    Don't kid yourself, Boko Haram is against Western education, especially for girls (doesn't this concern you???)

ReputationRep:
    The first thing I want to make clear, is that rape culture is not a society where rape is considered A-OK. Rape culture refers to a culture in which factors of that culture either encourage, or don't discourage, people from raping. Things such as stating that women 'deserved it', or victim blaming. Things such as sexualization in non-sexual circumstances. Now I've explained that, I hope it's clear why I believe it exists.
    How is rape encouraged..? Pretty sure we throw rapists in jail just as we do with other criminals.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    It didn't just go from suffrage to equality.. There still isn't full equality.
    Yes, the focus went from suffrage and so forth to where it is now, with the focus on obtaining equality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loya61)
    You're a feminist, so you are. Modern day feminists are against equality, they want better treatment for women than men.
    Well, gee, thanks for telling me I believe in something I didn't know I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armastan)
    How is rape encouraged..? Pretty sure we throw rapists in jail just as we do with other criminals.
    I literally explained in that post how it's done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Can you, publically, as a feminist, please rid of the made-up rumour of some "gender-pay gap" thanks
    I don't think it is a made up thing. So no.

ReputationRep:
    Why identify as feminist and not egalitarian? Feminism, in comparison to egalitarianism, is based upon a concentration on women's oppression.
    Do you believe that there is institutional misogyny in our country, or that all remaining misogyny is cultural/personal?

ReputationRep:
    Title says it all - I'm bored and would like to see what the general perception of feminism is on here. Ask away! ^^
    What do you eat for breakfast, other than men?

ReputationRep:
    ... >.>
    Refuting the gender pay gap:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09Bx6xoHSQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    ... >.>
    Refuting the gender pay gap:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09Bx6xoHSQ
    Ahahaha what an amazing video, so happy someone did the actual research and study on it, I was always too lazy to do so xD

ItsLyanna

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poldork)
    What do you eat for breakfast, other than men?
    Toast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    Why identify as feminist and not egalitarian? Feminism, in comparison to egalitarianism, is based upon a concentration on women's oppression.
    Do you believe that there is institutional misogyny in our country, or that all remaining misogyny is cultural/personal?
    I'd say both.

ReputationRep:
    Can you give examples of 'institutional' oppression of women in the uk, as well as explaining what exactly defines 'institutional' oppression in comparison to personal and cultural oppression?

ReputationRep:
    I literally explained in that post how it's done.
    No you didn't, since victim blaming very rarely happens and is not a sufficient enough of an explanation to say that rape as a whole is encouraged in society.

Also, I hope you're not one of the feminists who believe in retracting your consent after sexual intercourse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Women are genuinely worse off than men in society. However, both are affected negatively. Also, calling yourself an egalitarian removes any focus on issues - what are you fighting for if you're an egalitarian? It's definitely true that not all egalitarians support the same causes.
    :laugh: haha that made me laugh.

Lower mortality rate, suicide rates, job stats and social norms would disagree with you a little.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.