Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yep! Bang on - hope the question makes more sense now.
    Will rep when TSR allows me to, cheers.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, I agree. It's all so formulaic and mechanical.
    I must be weird, vectors and matrices are my favourite topics from FP3 haha!

Just as well, heading into Computer Science next year hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CALI1198)
    I must be weird, vectors and matrices are my favourite topics from FP3 haha!

Just as well, heading into Computer Science next year hopefully
    Oh, no - don't get me wrong, they're incredibly amazing topics in their own right, it's just that so little is taught at FP3 and so crappily as well that it's an utter bore and just requires no thought at all other than do this and that, you don't get the cool things like vector spaces, etc...

ReputationRep:
    Hi does anyone know whether the answers for integration questions have to be in exact form if they don't specify what form they want the answer in? My calculator tends to give answers as decimals especially when the question involves lots of natural logs and hyperbolic functions so it'd be very inconvenient for me to find the exact form as I'd have to do it the long way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Fluffy Bunny)
    Hi does anyone know whether the answers for integration questions have to be in exact form if they don't specify what form they want the answer in? My calculator tends to give answers as decimals especially when the question involves lots of natural logs and hyperbolic functions so it'd be very inconvenient for me to find the exact form as I'd have to do it the long way.
    Yeaah, I'm pretty sure the exact form is required because they want you to do it the long way.

ReputationRep:
    Exact form means you'll have to work each term in your brackets out rather than chucking it all in

Sent from my One using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    Yeaah, I'm pretty sure the exact form is required because they want you to do it the long way.
    I've only encountered problems with simplifying the result in question 51 on page 99 (review exercise 1) as sinh(4ln(root2+1) is very hard to simplify. I hope this is some old spec question because it's a beast. In fact the whole review exercise is a big pain in the ass for me

ReputationRep:
    I've only encountered problems with simplifying the result in question 51 on page 99 (review exercise 1) as sinh(4ln(root2+1) is very hard to simplify. I hope this is some old spec question because it's a beast. In fact the whole review exercise is a big pain in the ass for me
    It tidies up neatly to 12\sqrt{2}, doesn't it?

ReputationRep:
    It tidies up neatly to 12\sqrt{2}, doesn't it?
    You are right. My calculator gives it as 16.97... only (I'm using Casio fx 83gt plus). What's the process that you use to get it in that form if you don't mind me asking? I tried using the exponential definition of sinh X to get it but then I got stuck on the part with (root2 +1)^4 as something tells me there's too much work involved for it to be the right way to go about it.

ReputationRep:
    You are right. My calculator gives it as 16.97... only (I'm using Casio fx 83gt plus). What's the process that you use to get it in that form if you don't mind me asking? I tried using the exponential definition of sinh X to get it but then I got stuck on the part with (root2 +1)^4 as something tells me there's too much work involved for it to be the right way to go about it.
    I used the exponential definition to get \frac{1}{2}((\sqrt{2} + 1)^2 + (\sqrt{2} + 1)^{-1}) and plugged that into my calculator and realised it was \frac{1}{2}(24\sqrt{2}).

ReputationRep:
    Managed to get my first A* in FP3 today with the June 2012, hardly surprising though, 90 UMS was 70/75! I managed 73/75; quite an easy paper. I hope we're blessed with a paper of the same difficulty this year too

Combined with my FP2 June 2012, I would've got 144/150

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    Managed to get my first A* in FP3 today with the June 2012, hardly surprising though, 90 UMS was 70/75! I managed 73/75; quite an easy paper. I hope we're blessed with a paper of the same difficulty this year too

Combined with my FP2 June 2012, I would've got 144/150
    Oh, wow. Well done! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Oh, wow. Well done! :woo:
    Thanks
    I find FP3 more tricky than FP2 due to it being less predictable, so I'm very happy with this result

How is STEP coming along?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    I find FP3 more tricky than FP2 due to it being less predictable, so I'm very happy with this result
    Certainly, I think everybody would agree. FP2 has milder topics as well. :yep:

How is STEP coming along?
    So-so, I suppose. Not very confident, just hoping to scrape my offer really.

ReputationRep:
    So-so, I suppose. Not very confident, just hoping to scrape my offer really.
    Sounds like me for M2 :laugh:

I'm sure you'll do well. And I'm definitely sure you'll end up at Cambridge come results day

ReputationRep:
    Need some help on this question (well, part B), it's driving me nuts

A) Differentiate wrt x

x^{n-1}\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}

My answer:

Spoiler:
    Show
    (n-1)x^{n-2} + \dfrac{x^{n}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}

B) Given that

I_{n} = \displaystyle \int \dfrac{x^{n}}{\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}}

using your answer to A or otherwise, show that

nI_{n} + (n-1)I_{n-2} = x^{n-1}\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}

ReputationRep:
    What graphs are required for fp3???
    And what shape properties
    i am on aqa, exam tomorrow

A) Differentiate wrt x

x^{n-1}\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}

My answer:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (n-1)x^{n-2} + \dfrac{x^{n}}{\sqrt{x^{2}+1}}

B) Given that

I_{n} = \displaystyle \int \dfrac{x^{n}}{\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}}

using your answer to A or otherwise, show that

nI_{n} + (n-1)I_{n-2} = x^{n-1}\sqrt{(x^{2}+1)}
    Your derivative is wrong, I believe.

ReputationRep:

A) Differentiate wrt x
    Forgotten your product rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricPiphany)
    Your derivative is wrong, I believe.
    Forgotten your product rule?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.