Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

BORED ask me anything x watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasaminO_o)
    Sanskrit is supposed to be v similar to Greek apparently
    Sanskrit is similar to greek because they're both descended from Proto Indo European though. There could be greek loanwords in the version sanskrit used after the hellenistic period in india, but I'm not sure. It's a sacred vedic aryan language, so I doubt that much change was allowed to penetrate through from greek.

ReputationRep:
    If I found myself in such a horrid situation I think when it came down to it I'd save my mum. In the case of the second situation I'd wait the minute and let the others go.

Very dark question, you succeeded in making me feel uncomfortable.
    A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to choose the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Nevertheless, I'm not satisfied... You are willing to let the others go and kill yourself in the second situation. This shows that the value of life in descending order is: parent, child, you.
    But why are you valuing your life the least? (this is rhetorical but feel free to justify your answer)

By exploring value, let us consider this. The same setting. However, the captor has now set different rules. You have one minute to decide who to electrocute. If you decide to electrocute one person, then the other person will suffer a slow poisoning from the toxic gas. You are then free to leave. If the minute passes, toxic gas is released in all rooms.

Which button do you press, that is if you press one of them?

Of course you are under no obligation to answer...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Nevertheless, I'm not satisfied... You are willing to let the others go and kill yourself in the second situation. This shows that the value of life in descending order is: parent, child, you.
    But why are you valuing your life the least? (this is rhetorical but feel free to justify your answer)

By exploring value, let us consider this. The same setting. However, the captor has now set different rules. You have one minute to decide who to electrocute. If you decide to electrocute one person, then the other person will suffer a slow poisoning from the toxic gas. You are then free to leave. If the minute passes, toxic gas is released in all rooms.

I like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    A follow-up.

I notice that in your answer you mentioned to save your mother? I allowed you to choose the parent, and this of course also brings the option to leave it blank. If it were your father strapped to the chair, would you still save him over the child?

Why are you doing this to me m8

ReputationRep:
    Why are you doing this to me m8
    Your thread is titled "BORED ask me anything x".

I believe that my post falls within this. I want to ask you a question. That question is best asked with narrative for effective visualisation.

I repeat that you are under no obligation to answer the question. But seeing as you've already opened the book to this story why not finish it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    Your thread is titled "BORED ask me anything x".

I believe that my post falls within this. I want to ask you a question. That question is best asked with narrative for effective visualisation.

I repeat that you are under no obligation to answer the question. But seeing as you've already opened the book to this story why not finish it?
    Mum electric shock, she can have a quick death, kid can have the gas, I'll leave and I'll leave and cry myself to sleep in a corner somewhere. I don't want my mum to die painfully.

ReputationRep:
    Mum electric shock, she can have a quick death, kid can have the gas, I'll leave and I'll leave and cry myself to sleep in a corner somewhere. I don't want my mum to die painfully.
    I wonder if he's asking this question because World War Three is looming...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    I wonder if he's asking this question because World War Three is looming...
    No I think he's asking just because he's weird

ReputationRep:
    Interesting to note that you have again used the word 'mum'.

Why is it that the child receives the more painful death than your parent? Is there something of inherent value within your mother that does not exist within the child? I want to discover this...

Would you be willing to take a step further? Let us switch the relationship around.

The child is your younger sibling, which for all intents and purposes we assume he/she exists, is biologically related to you and lives under the same household.

The mother is a complete stranger which you have not seen until this very moment.

Again the same rules apply: electrocution to one, slow poisoning to the other. Or in the case you cannot decide in one minute, all rooms are poisoned. Of course you are free to leave and cry in the corner again, if you survive that is.

What do you do now?
    You are under no obligation to answer this scenario.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If you would like to know, this is the third installment of hopefully four.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)

Why is it that the child receives the more painful death than your parent? Is there something of inherent value within your mother that does not exist within the child? I want to discover this...

Would you be willing to take a step further? Let us switch the relationship around.

The child is your younger sibling, which for all intents and purposes we assume he/she exists, is biologically related to you and lives under the same household.

The mother is a complete stranger which you have not seen until this very moment.

Again the same rules apply: electrocution to one, slow poisoning to the other. Or in the case you cannot decide in one minute, all rooms are poisoned. Of course you are free to leave and cry in the corner again, if you survive that is.

What do you do now?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Because I love my mum. Her life isn't more valuable that the child's but it means more to me.
    And I'd electrocute my sister, gas the stranger

There are absolutely no alternatives right? I know this is hypothetical but I feel guilty for not trying to save anyone :lol: tbh I don't even know why I'm answering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)

What do you do now?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Could I ask why such unpleasant questions are of interest to you. For me I feel like one could spend their time better than, imagining gory and sickening situations and then 'forcing' (though I feel like you will pick up on this word, so I will say 'encouraging') it on to others' imagination. So I am curious about it ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XavierMyshkin)
    Could I ask why such unpleasant questions are of interest to you. For me I feel like one could spend their time better than, imagining gory and sickening situations and then 'forcing' (though I feel like you will pick up on this word, so I will say 'encouraging' it on to others' imagination. So I am curious about it ...
    Hey, it seems pretty amusing to me :/

ReputationRep:
    Because I love my mum. Her life isn't more valuable that the child's but it means more to me.
    And I'd electrocute my sister, gas the stranger

There are absolutely no alternatives right? I know this is hypothetical but I feel guilty for not trying to save anyone :lol: tbh I don't even know why I'm answering
    Then her life is arguably more valuable than the child because it means more to you. But I assume that what you are trying to say is that you don't believe in inherent value, it is the existing relationship you have with your mother that has created an acquired value that does not exist within the child.

There is an alternative. You can let the minute pass and allow all three of you to die. Then you won't have the problem of feeling guilty.
    In fact you shouldn't feel guilty. You would be saving someone: you. But I assume 'save anyone' means saving another individual aside from yourself.

If you are willing, you may want to proceed with this final installment.

Now, instead of two rooms, a third room is opened behind you. In the two original rooms sits a middle-aged medical scientist to your right, and an 18 year old adolescent (you may assign the sexes of both people) who, like you, is applying for medicine. In the third room is an individual (you may not assign the identity). This individual is not strapped to any chair and cannot be killed under your command. You have absolutely no connection with any of these three people.

The rules go back to the beginning. You must decide between the scientist and the adolescent who to save. Whichever button you press will be the one you electrocute. However, you will also be electrocuted regardless of who you pick. If the minute passes, all four rooms will be poisoned.
    But you are now presented with an alternative. You may withdraw from the process. If you do this, the individual in the third room will take your responsibility. However, this individual can either kill one, or kill both, but not save both and regardless will be electrocuted. Either way you will be free along with the person that may be saved.

So... are you willing to die for someone? Or do you trust the individual in the room behind you to spare their lives instead?

Considering your idea of inherent and acquired value, I'm curious of your answer.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I will reveal the individual if I feel it is necessary to.

ReputationRep:
    No I support Labour sorry aha
    Same aha love corbyn me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RMNDK)
    Then her life is arguably more valuable than the child because it means more to you. But I assume that what you are trying to say is that you don't believe in inherent value, it is the existing relationship you have with your mother that has created an acquired value that does not exist within the child.

There is an alternative. You can let the minute pass and allow all three of you to die. Then you won't have the problem of feeling guilty.
    In fact you shouldn't feel guilty. You would be saving someone: you. But I assume 'save anyone' means saving another individual aside from yourself.

If you are willing, you may want to proceed with this final installment.

Now, instead of two rooms, a third room is opened behind you. In the two original rooms sits a middle-aged medical scientist to your right, and an 18 year old adolescent (you may assign the sexes of both people) who, like you, is applying for medicine. In the third room is an individual (you may not assign the identity). This individual is not strapped to any chair and cannot be killed under your command. You have absolutely no connection with any of these three people.

The rules go back to the beginning. You must decide between the scientist and the adolescent who to save. Whichever button you press will be the one you electrocute. However, you will also be electrocuted regardless of who you pick. If the minute passes, all four rooms will be poisoned.
    But you are now presented with an alternative. You may withdraw from the process. If you do this, the individual in the third room will take your responsibility. However, this individual can either kill one, or kill both, but not save both and regardless will be electrocuted. Either way you will be free along with the person that may be saved.

So... are you willing to die for someone? Or do you trust the individual in the room behind you to spare their lives instead?

Considering your idea of inherent and acquired value, I'm curious of your answer.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I will reveal the individual if I feel it is necessary to.
    What kind of scientist is he - how many lives is he capable of saving?
    This is very crude but I'd save whichever one had the potential to save more people's lives. Eg if he was in pharmaceuticals and had discovered the cure to a widespreadd fatal disease I'd save him, if he didn't have any chance of achieving something like that I'd save the prospective medical student

I hate utilitarianism yet here I am, spouting rubbish about the "greater good"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    Hey, it seems pretty amusing to me :/
    Well I find it strange. *shrug*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XavierMyshkin)
    Could I ask why such unpleasant questions are of interest to you. For me I feel like one could spend their time better than, imagining gory and sickening situations and then 'forcing' (though I feel like you will pick up on this word, so I will say 'encouraging' it on to others' imagination. So I am curious about it ...
    It is horrible but once the seed is planted you can't just ignore it, I'd rather just give an answer and get it over with, but thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maddy1234)
    where are u from
    Parents are Azeri, I born in England, live in Hertfordshire

ReputationRep:
    What's your favourite food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hasan_Ahmed)
    What's your favourite food?
    Jaffa cakes are my weakness

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.