Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    Instead of asking "Which course will get bankers to like me?"

Ask yourself if you want to be like some of the idiots on this thread and then decide if its really worth it to be liked by bankers afterall.
    Tbh, not all bankers are egotistical.

And, the main participants arguing the other side of the argument largely aren't bankers or anywhere near becoming bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do placement year students in say IBD or S&T get their placement year counted as a completed analyst year upon graduation or do they start from scratch all over again from year 0? Or is that dependent on an individual bank by bank basis?

Also do placement students receive any bonuses in their role or is that individual again?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TotallyGutted)
    Do placement year students in say IBD or S&T get their placement year counted as a completed analyst year upon graduation or do they start from scratch all over again from year 0? Or is that dependent on an individual bank by bank basis?

Also do placement students receive any bonuses in their role or is that individual again?
    It's effectively an extended internship, so no. And no, they don't receive bonuses - apart from relocation bonuses.

You'll start as an Analyst 1 (technically, Analyst 0 for 6 months then Analyst 1) for full time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    what are the exit opportunities from IB? I keep seeing PE ad hedge funds muted.

What is so damn great about these careers? I see this implied idea of IB being slogging your guts out but then is PE and hedge funds not like that?

Just curious.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team

What is so damn great about these careers? I see this implied idea of IB being slogging your guts out but then is PE and hedge funds not like that?

Just curious.
    This has been discussed so many times. Google 'IB exit opps + wall street oasis'.

But briefly:

PE/HFs usually never hire out of uni because they need their junior recruits to hit the ground running. It's expected that they know how to deal with processes and modelling, as well as have the ability to fit into a more 'professional' capacity

The main draws are greater upside (read: carried interest), more impactful work, greater autonomy and the ability to have more control over your life being in the buying position and not the selling position.

Exit opps for IBD include: L/S Equity or Merger Arb or Event Driven or Distressed HFs, PE, Corporate Development (internal M&A for a corporation), Corporate Strategy, Corporate Finance, CFO/VP of Finance or Business Development for a tech startup, Consulting etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Just curious.
    Yes, working hours and pace of work is supposedly different (better).

You'll likely be over in the West End too, away from the noise of the wharf or city. The firms will be smaller. Your job title will actually mean something. They are likely going to be private companies and you can work toward being a partner. All of these thing are general goals for those who start on the sell side.

ReputationRep:
    If you are that good as an investor, you will make far more money running your own hedge fund. Employees never get as much money as the business owner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)

And, the main participants arguing the other side of the argument largely aren't bankers or anywhere near becoming bankers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Barry has expressed a desire to become an African dictator, not a banker, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    If you are that good as an investor, you will make far more money running your own hedge fund. Employees never get as much money as the business owner.
    Exactly, but these guys won't listen to reason. Because banks are so generous they'll incur unnecessary losses making their employees rich.

ReputationRep:

Just curious.
    Don't take advice from this fanboy. There are finance forums with members who've actually worked in IBs, HFs etc who will give you more detailed, and more realistic information than the romantic ideals spouted by students who presume to have a profound understanding of the world.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by BarryBeTrippin)
    Don't take advice from this fanboy. There are finance forums with members who've actually worked in IBs, HFs etc who will give you more detailed, and more realistic information than the romantic ideals spouted by students who presume to have a profound understanding of the world.
    Really? What part of what I've said is inaccurate information?

You need to realise that you have an attitude problem dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exactly, but these guys won't listen to reason. Because banks are so generous they'll incur unnecessary losses making their employees rich.
    No, we agree to an extent with your theories but we are trying to tell you that it's not just a case of bish bash Barry bosh and youre managing your own fund. Real life. Maybe you are the only one with the true knowledge of how to be massively successful in trading and all the other traders, like alllllll the traders in the market right now are just trading away and totally missing a trick, I dunno...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Who gives a toss about banking when uneducated gypsies make 100ks from enterprise. This is the true state of things. I'm quite impressed by your arrogance, when you know nothing. Do you understand market microstructure? Do you read quant journals? Do you even understand the complexity entailed in derivatives modelling? No "excel models will solve errything g". Do what you want, but you're clearly out of your depth here. Can't form one single logical retort before vomiting ad homs.

ReputationRep:
    Really? What part of what I've said is inaccurate information?

You need to realise that you have an attitude problem dude.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You seem to think salary progression in IBs are so well structured, and you don't take into account job insecurity which is the greatest threat to earning potential. Hence why even bank quants are in a position to earn more as I said.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Who gives a toss about banking when uneducated gypsies make 100ks from enterprise. This is the true state of things. I'm quite impressed by your arrogance, when you know nothing. Do you understand market microstructure? Do you read quant journals? Do you even understand the complexity entailed in derivatives modelling? No "excel models will solve errything g". Do what you want, but you're clearly out of your depth here. Can't form one single logical retort before vomiting ad homs.
    Look buddy. I really couldn't care less if you've fiddled around with algo trading in your spare time. It still gives you no right to jump down on people because they have an alternate view on life to you. You're screaming 'ad homs' when you've been frankly sexist and patronising to a lot of the people on this thread.

Do us a favour, go back to tweaking your 'derivatives pricing model' that's netted you possibly enough to buy a Starbucks Latte.

This 'debate' is just getting old now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The irony.

ReputationRep:
    Look buddy. I really couldn't care less if you've fiddled around with algo trading in your spare time. It still gives you no right to jump down on people because they have an alternate view on life to you. You're screaming 'ad homs' when you've been frankly sexist and patronising to a lot of the people on this thread.

Do us a favour, go back to tweaking your 'derivatives pricing model' that's netted you possibly enough to buy a Starbucks Latte.

This 'debate' is just getting old now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM

No time for this kid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jeena_hunt5476)
    Honestly in my opinion I dont think thats a massive amount haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That wage puts you in the top 0.8% earner in the UK...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    The irony.
    Not a student. No point telling you how much I earn because you wouldn't believe me. Btw calling me sexist is a joke, I'm no liberal, sticks and stones x

ReputationRep:
    Not a student. No point telling you how much I earn because you wouldn't believe me. Btw calling me sexist is a joke, I'm no liberal, sticks and stones x
    So unemployed?

No, you were quite categorically sexist in telling me that I was hired because even though I may not be pretty, some men apparently fawn over anything. In other words, you were hired for your female anatomy is what you said.

Africa can have you, I say.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.