Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils? Watch

• View Poll Results: Should schools alter changing rooms, toilets + uniforms to accommodate trans pupils?
    Yes
    36.15%
    No
    63.85%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AperfectBalance)
    There is no reason to change what we have
    Please read my posts again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    Please read my posts again.
    I have and I see no reason to change them

ReputationRep:
    I have and I see no reason to change them
    You have failed to response to virtually everything that I said and don't seem able (willing?) to defend your position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Implication)
    You have failed to response to virtually everything that I said and don't seem able (willing?) to defend your position.

There is no reasonable argument for mixed. Most people you ask would want segregated, and anyway why spend all the money changing them?

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why we need to change stuff around... If you're a trans male then use the male toilets, if you're a trans female then use female toilets. There's honestly no need to add anything. Adding more areas just seems like a waste of money to me, money that could be spent in other areas like classroom supplies or even education on the subject...

ReputationRep:
    How old are people when they begin treatment (sorry if that's not the right word) to make the transition to the other gender? I've thought about this quite a bit since this thread started having never encountered this issue in my 17 years. Personally I've come to the conclusion that I would be more than happy to be friends with anyone who was in this predicament but I would not be happy sharing changing rooms, esp ones that offer little privacy, with someone who had not completed the transition. At the end of the day they would still be a boy. I do think they should have access to facilities to give them privacy because I'm sure they too would feel uncomfortable in these kind of circumstances since they would probably feel that they didn't really belong in either the male or female toilets. As for gender neutral - no chance. Teenage boys are immature and idiotic - even the smart ones - I shudder to think what kind of antics they'd get up to perving on the girls.

I wanted to add that if I ever came across anyone bullying someone because they were transgender (among my peer group) I'd tear strips off the culprit.

ReputationRep:
    it is for gender reasons and it makes a lot of sense, we have different needs and many people would be uncomfortable with other sexes being in the same toilet as them
    What "different needs" do we have? Half the male toilets I go in have bins, there's nothing wrong with standing at a urinal in front of a women, many guys quite happily piss in the middle of the street. Everyone needs to ****, sex doesn't change that.

People are only uncomfortable with it because they've been told they should be, which in itself is ridiculous. Why should being in the same room as someone of the opposite sex doing a **** make you any more uncomfortable than if they were of the same sex?

Unisex toilets would even out queues and shorten them overall, which would benefit both sexes because the majority of the time guys who don't have to que to get in just have to wait for their friends when they get out. As I've said previously I think it's good for peoples perception of the opposite sex. The mere fact that you think people are uncomfortable being in the same room as them when doing a **** proves that IMO. On top of all this there is the simple fact of it being much easier for parents to easily keep an eye on kids of all ages no matter what sex.

I'm not saying all toilet facilities in the country should be torn out and replaced with unisex, but I see no reason why all new builds shouldn't include them, not to pander to trans people (although it would be a nice benefit that everyone would ultimately be more comfortable) but purely because it's the best thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Do you know what would solve this problem quite easily: if this countries attitudes matured a bit, we took a leaf out of the continents book and stopped being so damn scared of and self conscious about being naked.

I've spent considerable time working in and travelling the continent. People will happily get changed in public areas, sunbath topless on any beach and nude on a fair majority in many countries, and no-one cares when one gender goes to the toilet in front of the other. Life is just so much simpler when people stop caring.

ReputationRep:
    Uniforms should be agender anyway, since there's literally no good reason not to. Toilets likewise, for the same reason and because it's cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reasonable argument for mixed.
    There are several in this thread that you've chosen not to respond to!

But as I've said repeatedly, I think it's extraordinarily backwards and destructive to assume that sex segregation should be the default unless we have reason to do otherwise. I've explained why I think the opposite should be the case.

Most people you ask would want segregated, and anyway why spend all the money changing them?
    How much do you envisage it costing to replace pictures of men and women with pictures of toilets and occasionally sticking in a couple of extra bins? That's all it would take in current builds.

ReputationRep:
    OK so I can't remember who I told I'd get evidence but flipping through its either danwbell, paul514, TheNote or Chaz W

(Cohen-Kettenis & Gooren, 1999) - between 71% and 97% of subjects were successfully treated with surgery and less than 1% later took steps to reverse the sex reassignment

(Fitzgerald et al, 2011) - examined the relationship of hormone replacement therapy, specifically testosterone, with various mental health outcomes in an Internet sample of more than 400 self-identified female-to-male transsexuals. Results of the study indicate that female-to-male transsexuals who receive testosterone have lower levels of depression, anxiety, and stress, and higher levels of social support and health related quality of life. Testosterone use was not related to problems with drugs, alcohol, or suicidality. Overall findings provide clear evidence that HRT is associated with improved mental health outcomes in female-to-male transsexuals.

(Murad et al, 2009) - after sex reassignment, 80% of individuals with GID reported significant improvement in gender dysphoria, 78% reported significant improvement in psychological symptoms, 80% reported significant improvement in quality of life, and 72% reported significant improvement in sexual function

TL;DR - very few choose to de-transition, HRT has a positive impact on psychological well being and quality of life

ReputationRep:
    Have changing rooms like you have at a public pool with little cubicles for each student? It would be much better for all students(seriously PE changing rooms aren't nice places and the teacher can walk in at any time and catch a student in their bra) and you wouldn't need Boys and Girls rooms then.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.