The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Андрей
SATs don't benefit the children; they benefit the government. In the context of primary school, especially, SATs prevent real learning from taking place. My nephew recently received his year three report card, with one target stating he needed to "use more fronted adverbials" in his writing. I don't know about you, but I feel that is a completely inappropriate level of complexity for a seven year old to be having to grasp. The focus is on rote learning ill-suited subject matter; then revising it for the tests, which effectively leaves less time for the children to learn new things that directly benefit their growing-up: social skills, co-operative working, hygiene, healthy living - good food, regular exercise, sports and leisure time. There are things that children should be doing at primary school instead of preparing for SATs that would improve their health and well-being: making them happier, more rounded and better prepared for adolescence. They absolutely need to learn academic skills alongside their 'life skills', but the balance is completely ruined by the existence of SATs in primary education.

SATs are one of the principal motivators for primary schools to teach: without them they'd just teach whatever they feel like, which would be primarily religion-based for most schools.
Why do you think it's inappropriate? It's not a difficult concept to grasp and whilst the name may be unfamiliar the child will already know how to use it. I do feel that it's counterproductive to insist on a particular writing style though.
What makes you say that it's ill-suited? From what I remember about primary school all subjects contained primarily relevant and useful content except for PE, French, music, drama, RE and cooking. Coincidentally none of these subjects have SATs exams. Of course it could be much more in-depth in those subjects that do teach relevant and useful content.
Who is going to revise seriously for SATs? You can't make an argument that because of that 1 hour they spent doing a past paper after school the day before the exam they somehow can't learn as much in the lessons.
Social skills and cooperative working will already be learned in break times and in lessons and I'm not sure how you'd teach it anyway.
Hygiene should be taught by the parents.
They do teach some nutrition in primary school, both as a separate subject and in biology. The current amount is fine: most students don't have much control over their diet until much later.
How can you teach regular exercise and sport? I think you mean teach the benefits of regular exercise and sport, which is done to some degree currently. Again, students of this age don't have much control. If you mean force them to exercise regularly, then you'd really just be putting them off exercising regularly.
What do you mean by teach leisure time?
Ok. What things do you think they could be doing rather than preparing for SATs?
Edit: Yes, for university admission, I accept that some formal examination is required - afterall, university is supposed to be serious, academic study. Now of course, too many students are going to university directly after compulsory education. Only students who have shown a natural aptitude for academic study should be encouraged to move on to A Levels and then go to university - the majority of secondary school students are not actually suited for university-level study by the time their compulsory education comes to an end. There needs to be a culture shift - schools need to play a bigger part here, in encouraging a few years of work directly after compulsory education. After some work and life experience, young people would be better able to decide if they really need a degree to progress, and if it seems as if they do, perhaps then they should think about university as a mature student.

This only happens in England, since compulsory education finishes at 16 in the rest of the UK. What is your problem with people going to university straight after finishing sixth form/college in England? If they don't go straight away then they're likely to get rusty in their skills.
How can you use A-levels to work out who shows a natural aptitude for academic study? You need more serious exams if you want to do that. STEP or similar would be better, but many would argue that even these aren't good indicators and that a degree in the subject is a good pointer for natural aptitude.
How are schools going to influence people's decisions?
I think it really depends on whether they want the degree primarily to further their career or to learn stuff.
Reply 261
Original post by morgan8002

Spoiler

Your A and B example is the most flawed logic I have come across lately. Did not expect that from you. Ever heard of ceteris paribus? You can only change one variable at a time, in this case 'processing speed'. My argument is simply 'slow processing speed but otherwise equal => less able at maths'. Don't know why you are getting confused.

Secondly, knowledge of maths is not related to ability at maths. Do you honestly think that someone who knows the quadratic formula is better at maths than someone who doesn't (certeris paribus)?

Yes, if you don't agree with my argument you won't agree with my corollary.

Original post by Nerwen

Spoiler

Maths may be about rote learning at GCSE but does that make you more able at maths in general? The answer is no unless you will accept that someone who got higher marks at GCSE than you is more able at maths (ceteris paribus). Btw you definitely dropped marks and you won't be able to fool me otherwise.

You disagree with my definition of 'slow processing speed' that's fine. Now we are no longer arguing about the same thing. Nothing I said was untrue actually, you just think I am saying something I am not. Nowhere did I say you have slow processing times according to the definition I gave to be extremely clear.

I think that people, like you, who struggle with written communication, should be given extra time. So should all the other people in your university department.

P.S. you didn't answer my question:

Plenty of people with no proven disabilities struggle with the latter but have no problem with written communication. Do you think they should get extra time?
Yes and no to be honest. I think that it is important that all people are given an equal opportunity. But I think that it is important that people monitor the ways in which you are given extra time. I am curious as to whether some people are given extra time, even if they don't need it. Also, I think the timing situation with exams is a little bit weird, because after all, they are testing your subject knowledge, therefore, should you have to do it under timed conditions?
Original post by xylas
Your A and B example is the most flawed logic I have come across lately. Did not expect that from you. Ever heard of ceteris paribus? You can only change one variable at a time, in this case 'processing speed'. My argument is simply 'slow processing speed but otherwise equal => less able at maths'. Don't know why you are getting confused.

Secondly, knowledge of maths is not related to ability at maths. Do you honestly think that someone who knows the quadratic formula is better at maths than someone who doesn't (certeris paribus)?

Yes, if you don't agree with my argument you won't agree with my corollary.

My counterexample is fully valid. Reread the statement in your previous post. I study in more logic based than empirical areas and haven't studied Latin so haven't heard of that phrase before. So now that I've disproved your main statement you're adopting a much weaker version. That's cute. If two people are exactly the same except one can process questions faster then that person is marginally better at that kind of maths.

Yes. There are many factors that contribute to ability.
Reply 264
My counterexample is fully valid. Reread the statement in your previous post. I study in more logic based than empirical areas and haven't studied Latin so haven't heard of that phrase before. So now that I've disproved your main statement you're adopting a much weaker version. That's cute. If two people are exactly the same except one can process questions faster then that person is marginally better at that kind of maths.

Yes. There are many factors that contribute to ability.

No that is not a weaker statement. You do not know logic. Once you learn about ceteris paribus you will realise why you are wrong.

Also you can introduce semantics like "marginally" all you want. The fact that you think knowledge of a formula implies ability at maths reveals a lot about the way you think...
My friend is dyslexic, but she has no trouble with numbers, in fact she's very good at them. She gets extra time in maths, and she admits she doesn't need it. That's not really fair. However I do think that in the majority cases it is fair and necessary.
Original post by xylas
No that is not a weaker statement. You do not know logic. Once you learn about ceteris paribus you will realise why you are wrong.

Also you can introduce semantics like "marginally" all you want. The fact that you think knowledge of a formula implies ability at maths reveals a lot about the way you think...

It is a weaker statement. I do know logic. I've taken a module on symbolic logic and all of my other modules require logic to some degree. I did spend a couple of seconds learning what ceteris paribus is. Unfortunately it's not relevant to your original statement and has no place in logic.

Thanks for your permission to use words.

I'm getting bored of arguing with you.
Reply 267
It is a weaker statement. I do know logic. I've taken a module on symbolic logic and all of my other modules require logic to some degree. I did spend a couple of seconds learning what ceteris paribus is. Unfortunately it's not relevant to your original statement and has no place in logic.

Thanks for your permission to use words.

I'm getting bored of arguing with you.

Nice irrational content.
Original post by lookbackinanger
My friend is dyslexic, but she has no trouble with numbers, in fact she's very good at them. She gets extra time in maths, and she admits she doesn't need it. That's not really fair. However I do think that in the majority cases it is fair and necessary.

I can understand it. If the people are able to get it in time in exams although they have a handicap, it has not to be. But if those people with a handicap really need it - so unable to get it in time -, they should have an extra time.
Original post by xylas

Maths may be about rote learning at GCSE but does that make you more able at maths in general? The answer is no unless you will accept that someone who got higher marks at GCSE than you is more able at maths (ceteris paribus). Btw you definitely dropped marks and you won't be able to fool me otherwise.

You disagree with my definition of 'slow processing speed' that's fine. Now we are no longer arguing about the same thing. Nothing I said was untrue actually, you just think I am saying something I am not. Nowhere did I say you have slow processing times according to the definition I gave to be extremely clear.

I think that people, like you, who struggle with written communication, should be given extra time. So should all the other people in your university department.

P.S. you didn't answer my question:

Plenty of people with no proven disabilities struggle with the latter but have no problem with written communication. Do you think they should get extra time?

To be honest, your opinion on my school work marks matter little, and don't impact this discussion much at all. I have no need to convince you, and I won't try.

While maybe you have tried to clearly define process, my problem comes from things like this:
Original post by xylas

"if your brain is slow to process, then obviously you are less able to understand the question than someone else (i.e. someone has to repeat the same thing to you many times for you to process it)"

Seemingly you have now defined processing to mean it takes you longer to think of the correct approach, but this does not seem to be what you were initially suggesting. I fear that a lot of people (myself included) would interpret that to mean that someone needs a question repeated to them to understand, not to come up with a method to solve it.

As you have more clearly defined what you are referring to by processing speed I take less issue with your position now, I still disagree with it to some extent though. I don't believe your ability to "process" maths questions at GCSE or A-level gives much of an indication of your mathematical ability at all, as all it tests is your ability to regurgitate a method when told. It is a poor indicator of mathematical ability (and one of the reasons several universities opt to use STEP, and many aspiring maths students opt to sit STEP regardless of whether it is necessary), and so I am opposed to deeming someone to be lacking in mathematical ability based on their ability to "process" these questions. I focus on GCSE and A-level specifically initially as this is in the GCSE sub-forum.

In general, being slower to find methods is a disadvantage, but if you can eventually find methods of proof that work and you can justify your reasoning in the end then you clearly have some degree of mathematical ability. If it takes you a long time to try and find a way to deal with a question, then maybe you are lacking in mathematical ability, but maybe you just need to do more practice (quite possibly a lot more), maybe you should do more reading and find sources that work better for you, or maybe it isn't the right kind of maths for you (it is a very broad field with very different types of question). It is isn't the case that if you are slow at processing a maths question that you lack mathematical ability, it isn't a sufficient condition.

I will not debate that point with you further, ultimately there is little point if you have made your mind up on what you believe is necessary for someone to be good at maths. It is difficult to argue on what makes someone good at maths or what mathematical ability with someone who does not have as much experience with higher level maths, because you naturally have very different perspectives (I don't think that is worded right, I hope you understand what I am trying to convey).

I think had I been more clear on what you meant by processing questions, then I wouldn't have commented in the first place. So I do not have any intention of continuing the discussion further. In regards to your question, I do not intend to answer it. I didn't enter this discussion to debate who does or does not deserve extra time, but rather to try and better understand what you meant by processing speeds and to clear up some misconceptions that I was worried would be around from statements earlier in the conversation.

Also I will be blocking this site after this, as my term starts on Monday and I do not allow myself access to this site during term time (talking online can cause me a lot of distress, and so I avoid it completely during times of work). Please do not take offence if I do not respond at all, I have just suffered from very frequent panic attacks since deciding to engage in this conversation.

It has been good discussing this with you, if I return online then I will post so that we may continue this discussion at a later date.
Reply 270
Original post by Nerwen

Spoiler

You shouldn't have brought it up then. Glad you're backing down on that.

No-one lacks ability in the sense you are using. If you don't put the practice in then you will be less able than someone else. Same with anything else - musical instruments, sport, languages etc. Don't confuse yourself again.

Replace A level with STEP then if it makes you feel better. Pretty weak argument you've got there.

Are you assuming I have less experience than you with higher level maths? That would be very foolish of you. If you value experience over logic then that says a lot about you.

If I have to repeat a question twice and you still won't answer it then I lose respect for you.
/discussion
Original post by xylas
You shouldn't have brought it up then. Glad you're backing down on that.

No-one lacks ability in the sense you are using. If you don't put the practice in then you will be less able than someone else. Same with anything else - musical instruments, sport, languages etc. Don't confuse yourself again.

Replace A level with STEP then if it makes you feel better. Pretty weak argument you've got there.

Are you assuming I have less experience than you with higher level maths? That would be very foolish of you. If you value experience over logic then that says a lot about you.

If I have to repeat a question twice and you still won't answer it then I lose respect for you.
/discussion

First of all, part of the problem here is with the defintion of mathematical ability. But my point still stands that being slow when finding methods in maths does not mean you lack mathematical ability, speed is not necessary for mathematical ability.

You are a medical student, not a full-time maths student. It is a perfectly logical assumption to make that you have less experience with higher level maths.

To be quite frank I don't see the problem with refusing to answer a question when I do not wish to debate the topic involved. Just because you ask a question it doesn't mean I am obligated to answer.

I had initially been hoping that I'd return to a well reasoned response, I probably shouldn't have expected that. I have tried very hard to be respectful, even acknowledging where I feel I have had difficulty communicating appropriately. However your last post seems to show that you have given up all hope of a respectful discussion

Trying to imply I don't value logic in order to sweep over the fact that you lack experience in the area you are making claims about, and then proclaiming your lack of respect for me due to my refusal to be pulled into a secondary debate. This is poor show in a discussion, and so while I had initially returned to the site today to set up the blocks for it on my phone, I shall be first blocking you.

It is unfortunate this discussion had to end on such a sour note. I would therefore like to leave you with some quotes by some more qualified people than me when it comes to this area.

The competitions reinforce the notion that either you ‘have good math genes’, or you do not. They put an emphasis on being quick, at the expense of being deep and thoughtful. They emphasize questions which are puzzles with some hidden trick, rather than more realistic problems where a systematic and persistent approach is important. This discourages many people who are not as quick or as practiced, but might be good at working through problems when they have the time to think through them. Some of the best performers on the contests do become good mathematicians, but there are also many top mathematicians who were not so good on contest math.Quickness is helpful in mathematics, but it is only one of the qualities which is helpful. -- Fields Medalist William Thurston

... the most profound contributions to mathematics are often made by tortoises rather than hares. As mathematicians develop, they learn various tricks of the trade, partly from the work of other mathematicians and partly as a result of many hours spent thinking about mathematics. What determines whether they can use their expertise to solve notorious problems is, in large measure, a matter of careful planning: attempting problems that are likely to be fruitful, knowing when to give up a line of thought (a difficult judgement to make), being able to sketch broad outlines of arguments before, just occasionally, managing to fill in the details. -- Fields Medalist Timothy Gowers
(edited 8 years ago)
I think for some people it is, but others definitely not. If you have an actual learning difficulty, like dyslexia or something like that, then it is fair. But I have a friend who is super smart, no real issues, except for the fact that she just can't shorten her answers. If it was a 1mark question, she'd write a paragraph! I tried to help her, but she just didn't care. It's not fair that she gets extra time, because it's only in some exams that this is a problem. So now she has a huge advantage in subjects she's not even bad at!
Reply 273
Original post by Nerwen

Spoiler

Discussion is already over mate.

I don't respect a fool who holds onto assumptions. Maybe this is due to your problem with written communication who knows. I'm not going to judge you but that doesn't mean I respect you.

Go on block this site like you said earlier, I don't want you to have more panic attacks.
Reply 274

To both of the above: you don't know everything about how he works so he could have some difficulty that you are unaware of. Or you could be right and he's getting it unfairly.

I do know him well enough to know that he doesn't actually need the 15 mins. He believes the best way of revising is last-minute revision, which puzzles me, because I believed that anyone on the autism spectrum would need things to be organised, and last-minute revision doesn't seem very organised - he himself isn't organised, in my opinion, either. But I do agree with @xylas and @Tinka99 in that just having autism/Asperger's/ADHD is not enough; one must have difficulties that are associated with having the condition - extra time for just having the condition is simply not sufficient.

Why do you think it's a poor excuse? She takes ~15% longer to get her ideas down.

Well, if all it is is struggling to write fast, then that's an excuse really, not a proper reason. I write slowly; other people write slowly - it's all about training your hand to write faster. Just not being able to write fast enough could apply to so many other people.
No, I'm afraid I just can't see it. It troubles me that I don't feel more sympathetic on this one... However, there just seem to be too many logical cases against it.

Eg. If someone has issues with handwriting and spelling that are severe and linked to dyslexia then I think they should be allowed an amanuensis (which should be marked on their exam certificates) and given the standard amount of time. If their issues are mild then surely they could choose between being marked down for this or being recorded as having an amanuensis. If someone cannot mange the paper in the set time for another reason then they should present at a lower level. In this way academically talented individuals with dyslexia would not be prevented from progressing in the education system while people with illegitimate reasons would not be allotted extra time.

What would constitue an 'illegitimate reason'? Well (according to me), perhaps people with ADHD and autism need to accept their limitations and focus on their strengths. If someone could make a case for the specific link between autism and the need for extra time I'd be interested to hear it. I've spent much time with individuals with autism over the years and as far I as can tell individuals with the condition may have impaired functioning in some respects and sometimes augmented in others. (It's swings and roundabouts.) I do not see what differentiates them from individuals with lower ability in some areas.

These arguments don't prevent me from thinking that we should invest more as a society in non-academic career paths and work to improve the prospects of careers not involving academic education. I'm all for improving support for people with autism and offering other routes into various technical careers. We undermine our examination systems if we not do have universal requirements however.
(edited 8 years ago)
NB. I think it's possible to critique the entire notion of examinations - there are plenty of interesting discussions to be had about alternative methods of assessment - but just to be clear they are inherently there is measure attainment, not progress or potential.

Why do people think that many qualification have a coursework and a written exam element?
Original post by Des_Lumières

What would constitue an 'illegitimate reason'? Well (according to me), perhaps people with ADHD and autism need to accept their limitations and focus on their strengths. If someone could make a case for the specific link between autism and the need for extra time I'd be interested to hear it. I've spent much time with individuals with autism over the years and as far I as can tell individuals with the condition may have impaired functioning in some respects and sometimes augmented in others. (It's swings and roundabouts.) I do not see what differentiates them from individuals with lower ability in some areas.

Then you'd know it's a spectrum and we're all different. I need extra reading time due to my Autism because it can take several attempts for me to read and fully understand the question properly. It has nothing to do with lower ability. If I don't get extra time, I risk running out of time and won't be able to perform to the best of my abilities. How is that really fair?

If I am given a question which has a few paragraphs, I have to read the paragraphs a few times and highlight the keywords to ensure I fully take in what I really need to.

One serious problem for me, is how I understand language. So, if there are questions which have things like methaphors and similies, (even simple ones) I have to read them several times to ensure I really understand what the question is really asking.

And that's even before we go into my sight impairments, which means I read much slower than other people (it takes much more effort for me to read - even with large print) and I need rest breaks because reading is physically tiring.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Then you'd know it's a spectrum and we're all different. I need extra reading time due to my Autism because it can take several attempts for me to read and fully understand the question properly. It has nothing to do with lower ability. If I don't get extra time, I risk running out of time and won't be able to perform to the best of my abilities. How is that really fair?

If I am given a question which has a few paragraphs, I have to read the paragraphs a few times and highlight the keywords to ensure I fully take in what I really need to.

One serious problem for me, is how I understand language. So, if there are questions which have things like methaphors and similies, (even simple ones) I have to read them several times to ensure I really understand what the question is really asking.

And that's even before we go into my sight impairments, which means I read much slower than other people (it takes much more effort for me to read - even with large print) and I need rest breaks because reading is physically tiring.

Examinations are measuring attainment - understanding the set questions is a part of this. If one cannot understand in sufficient time what is being asked of one then this will quite clearly have a detrimental effect on individual attainment. I commiserate that this is hard to accept however it is a reality of an exam based system (and is true for everyone).

If exams were seeking to measure potential it would be very different. In that case it would be necessary to look to measure every student's potential; this would mean dramatic changes to this system. It might involve: more ongoing assessment, interviews, positive marking, and a radical curriculum geared to fit around individual interests, higher levels one to one support for all, and more project based work. This is not where we are at yet although it is perhaps a very interesting direction to take in the future (I am in the camp in favour of this way of working). In the meantime we must ensure that system we do have fulfils its design to greatest extent possible. [You may be interested in researching the Finnish education system for more information about innovations along these lines made there.]

Potential does not - however arguably unfair this is - come into assessment by exams as they currently operate. Written papers are a snapshot of an individual's present abilities. If you've heard of triangulation then you will recognise how limited testing people in this way is even just in the sense of not repeating the test. There are other drawbacks too. However, if we have to test everyone in the most equal way possible within the limitations of this system we must admit the need for identical requirements for all candidates. We undermine the integrity of the entire system for it is worth when we make skills based concessions; I'm not sure that we are currently in a position to endanger the functionality of the only system we have. Better maintain it whilst developing new ways of teaching, learning and assessment to graduate in over time.

As for your example, in many instances the ability to understand figurative language enters into one's overall ability within an area. In some cases it is essential to performance. Not being able to do this in the context of an exam sometimes means not fulfilling the criteria of assessment. Everyone currently has to bend to fit the exam shaped holes - some more than others - but really the system should bend for the students.

Of course, a visual impairments should warrant necessary support. I'm sorry if you feel offended by my views on this topic.
It is fair. What is unfair is that it is possible to run out of time in exams full stop. That doesn't test understanding - which if I'm not wrong is the point of an exam - it tests the speed at which you can recall knowledge. Exams should provide more than enough time for them to be complete, regardless of who it is sitting the exam.

Latest