Barts & The London (QMUL) Medicine - ask a student

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Queen Mary University of London)
    Hi there,

I have. But as I stated before, it would be entirely inappropriate for me to discuss my own views on this ongoing issue in my capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR.

Thanks for getting in touch.
    Will
    I'd have thought that it is in your capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR that you would have a particular responsibility to speak out against the spinning of trail data and the smearing of patients.

I am concerned about the ethical standards QMUL seems to promote amongst staff and students, and think that the PACE trial is a valuable example of the harm that this can do to others. The response of QMUL to this scandal, and the failure of those at QMUL to speak out about these problems, does not reflect well on the institution as a respectable place of learning.

ReputationRep:
    it would be entirely inappropriate for me to discuss my own views on this ongoing issue in my capacity as a QMUL rep on TSR
    So you can discuss your own views, in your capacity as a QMUL, only on topics that are uncontroversial/haven't landed your institution in hot water? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Do AS's in reformed A levels give you UCAS tariff points and how are they calculated

Predicted A*AA
    As:AAAA
    Also i have a cambridge national ict how many tariff points is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nu7)
    Do AS's in reformed A levels give you UCAS tariff points and how are they calculated

Predicted A*AA
    Yes they do, but only if you've dropped that subject.

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff/calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mira Mira)
    Hi Will
    What were your stats? Both Ukcat and Ucas tariff. I hope you don't mind. I want to compare it with mine, because I am not happy with it. My Ukcat average is 660, sjt band 2, Ucas tariff is 470 using the old tariff.
    Hi there,

I'm not sure about UCAS tariffs as it has been a while since I applied. However, I got 3 As and 2 A*s at A Level. My UKCAT was similar to yours but we didn't have SJT back then!

Best of luck with the future!

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elliottmanwaring)
    Can someone explain to me how to get my UCAS tariff I have no Idea how to get it? I got AAAA at AS and I don't do any musical intrument ECA's so I doubt my Tariff is good?
    Hi there,

You can find information about the UCAS tariff and work out your own here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff-tables/946

Your grades at AS level are great! Don't worry about not playing an instrument. I didn't get UCAS points for an instrument either.

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nu7)

Predicted A*AA
    Hi there,

You can find out more about UCAS tariffs here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff-tables/946.

You can also calculate your own UCAS tariff at that site.

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

You can find information about the UCAS tariff and work out your own here: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergradu...iff-tables/946

Your grades at AS level are great! Don't worry about not playing an instrument. I didn't get UCAS points for an instrument either.

Barts love,
    Will
    When do barts give out interviews for undergraduates?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am in Year 12 and thinking of applying to Barts next year. I was wondering what options for SSC there are?
    Also, how do you manage with London prices?!

ReputationRep:
    Is the course integrated or PBL? I've looked on the website but I can't find it anywhere?!

ReputationRep:
    Have you met Peter White, and are you aware of his latest antics?

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied there for A101. When should I expect to hear from them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xenon17)
    When do barts give out interviews for undergraduates?
    Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

It really varies so don't worry if you don't hear back for a while. I remember that I got invited to interview very late. Here's the official line from the medical school:

We receive a large number of applications for medicine and dentistry. As we assess applications throughout the cycle, some applicants will hear from us quite early in the process, while others will be contacted later. If you do not hear from us for some time it does not automatically mean that your application has been unsuccessful as we invite some applicants to interview as late as February.

For other FAQs, visit this page: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/FAQs/

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 82Lala82)
    Hi,

I am in Year 12 and thinking of applying to Barts next year. I was wondering what options for SSC there are?
    Also, how do you manage with London prices?!
    Hi there, great questions!

In your pre-clinical years, the possibilities for SSC are quite literally endless. The medical school offers a wide range of SSCs including dissection and other academic and practical SSCs. However, if none of these take your fancy or you have a specific interest, you can easily self-organise an SSC in pretty much any academic or clinical placement. Read more about SSCs here: http://qmplus.qmul.ac.uk/mod/book/vi...hapterid=22104

As for the cost of living, it really isn't that bad. Aside from the relatively high rents, the cost of food and travel can easily be kept down by being savvy. For example, I cycle pretty much everywhere and shop at Aldi. I also have two jobs and still have time to be involved in societies and pursue other interests. That said, most people don't have a job and still get by. Student finance is higher for students living in London and there are a number of bursaries and scholarships available.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions!

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiMan)
    Hi, I applied there for A101. When should I expect to hear from them?
    Hi there, thanks for getting in touch.

I assume the time frames are similar to those for A100 medicine. You should expect to hear from them over the next few months but there is a lot of variability. Don't worry if you don't hear anything for a while, it does't mean you have been rejected.

Feel free to take a look at the FAQs page for more info: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergradu...AQs/index.html

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 82Lala82)
    Is the course integrated or PBL? I've looked on the website but I can't find it anywhere?!
    Hi there,

Integrated. In your first two years, there is a pretty much equal mix of PBL and lectures as well as practical sessions. These include anatomy, physiology and clinical skills.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you!
    I was just wondering what is the difference between MBBS and MBChB is, as QMUL provides a MBBS course but other univeristies such as Birmingham provide the MBChB course?

Hi there,

Integrated. In your first two years, there is a pretty much equal mix of PBL and lectures as well as practical sessions. These include anatomy, physiology and clinical skills.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Barts love,
    Will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Have you met Peter White, and are you aware of his latest antics?
    I am concerned about the influence someone like White may have had on the ethical standards at QMUL. He does appear to have led some PhD students into producing work that is little more than a smear campaign against patients, eg: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23413406

What does Will think of the infrastructure at QMUL which should be in place to prevent these sorts of problems from ocuring? Why did they fail in this case? Is action now being taken to improve things?

If the problems with White's work are as serious as they appear to be, how will this affect those students who have spent their time at QMUL working with him?

ReputationRep:
    Hi is a ukcat score of 657 competetive enough for an international applicant?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    So you can discuss your own views, in your capacity as a QMUL, only on topics that are uncontroversial/haven't landed your institution in hot water? :holmes:
    This is patently ridiculous, expecting a medical student to have expert representative views on research output from his/her medical school. Perhaps you should continue your campaign elsewhere.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.