Turn on thread page Beta

Is transsexuality a mental disorder? watch

• View Poll Results: Is transsexuality a mental disorder?
    Yes
    56.61%
    No
    43.39%

ReputationRep:
    I'm mentally ill and we are so stigmatized it is horrible, so what if it is a mental illness there's hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery to help their gender dysphoria for e.g someone who has depression is given anti-depressants not ****ing forced to live with depression and not able to be helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    Im actually quite disappointed. This thread started off so respectful and nice and then it turned into a petty insult match.

AlteredBoy I'm going to apologize for Paul's (and anyone elses) misgendering of you, it doesnt matter how we all feel about this subject he's just an A-grade ****, and I can appreciate that must have hurt.

As for my opinions on the matter, I can understand how it is seen as a disorder. Its not normal. But just because its not normal doesnt mean that is necessarily bad, they're not hurting anyone, they've just challenged your conventions and books.
    Yes most people don't like the concept of hacking parts of yourself off, but its their choice. Its a long process and theyre literally asked every step of the way if they've changed their mind!

Many people have said that you should change transpeople's minds, not alter their bodies. They've been doing that for centuries and it didnt work. The closest they've come to helping people feel comfortable is by changing their body to suit their mind.

Also the research shows that FTMs have male sized pituitary glands, and MTFs have female sized pituitary glands. Clearly something biological has happened in the womb, probably an excess of the wrong hormones or something. The issue is that we cannot find out, because majority of transpeople wont "come out" and participate as they fear rejection and abuse. A lot of them who do "come out" go under the radar and disappear, because they look like a normal member of the opposite sex. Hence why everyone's first image of a transperson tends to be a man in a dress or a really chubby butch lesbian lookalike, because they cant disappear, you can tell!

Another issue with the trans community is Tumblr. Its the worst thing in the world. There are kids on there that think its cool to do **** like pretend to be transgender. Its bumped up the few stats of transgender regret, because those special snowflakes end up with gender dysphoria because they suddenly look like a guy but dont feel like one inside! (Which kinda proves that gender dysphoria isnt made up!)

So yes transgenderism is probably a mental disorder in the sense that its not normal. Im sure we'd find it cropping up in the animal kingdom but as they cant speak we just assume that there isnt because that animal would probably just be acting gay. You can all say that its a girl pretending and that they should just suck it up, but im sure theyve tried to. And it hasnt worked and for 90% of trans people they probably would jump at the chance to be normal and comfortable in their bodies without removing and altering parts. But since nobody's come up with a way, just leave them be. I think their lives are hard enough without you taking the piss, when you have no ****ing clue how they feel.

Heres a question for you all though. What about the intersex? Most dont feel that a transperson should be able to alter their body, but what about an intersex person (someone with ambigious genetalia, some male/some female). Would they be allowed to? Because there is nothing harmful in the way their body is different, it just doesnt fit what people believe it should be.
    Different parts of the brain grow and shrink depending on how they are used.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaseyyy)
    Wtf are you doing on this forum then? it is THE STUDENT ROOM, get the **** off here, people from the older generation are just bigoted and you guys can't be changed and looking from ur photo ur a white privileged piece of **** lmao
    Ugh. Please dont its not an insult match its supposed be an intellectual discussion. Go back to tumblr.

ReputationRep:
    I'm mentally ill and we are so stigmatized it is horrible, so what if it is a mental illness there's hormone therapy and sex reassignment surgery to help their gender dysphoria for e.g someone who has depression is given anti-depressants not ****ing forced to live with depression and not able to be helped
    They are given an ssri to balance the chemicals and counselling to help over come the cause and to learn coping strategies.

I also have a mental illness as does 25% of the population in any given year.

As a side issue depression isn't a great example to use as it has physical causes as well as cognitive causes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wtf are you doing on this forum then? it is THE STUDENT ROOM, get the **** off here, people from the older generation are just bigoted and you guys can't be changed and looking from ur photo ur a white privileged piece of **** lmao
    Racist, ageist, anything else? Also I'm still in study whilst practicing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Different parts of the brain grow and shrink depending on how they are used.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay thats quite vague, please expand.

ReputationRep:
    Lmao ikr, they identify as trans not male or female, this guy is dumb as ****.
    Been through this earlier in the thread already

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    Okay thats quite vague, please expand.
    When parts of the brain are over or under used they grow and shrink

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DIN-NARYU-FARORE)
    So are you suggesting that theres a difference between trans gender and transsexuals?

i mean i thought trans people generally cared about who they are on the inside (and what they present on the outside) not which chromosomes they have
    No I am not saying that read the entire thread this has already been covered

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    When parts of the brain are over or under used they grow and shrink
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    I understood that from the original comment. Expand as in which parts that are related to a person being transgender.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather not watch a transphobe thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    I understood that from the original comment. Expand as in which parts that are related to a person being transgender.
    Gender dysphoria.... Transgender is just a name society has made up for a group of people with gender dysphoria.

But regardless I wasn't responding to which structures do what just simply that brain changes such as the size of the pituitary or amygdala for example change dependant on usage

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)

AlteredBoy I'm going to apologize for Paul's (and anyone elses) misgendering of you, it doesnt matter how we all feel about this subject he's just an A-grade ****, and I can appreciate that must have hurt.

Heres a question for you all though. What about the intersex? Most dont feel that a transperson should be able to alter their body, but what about an intersex person (someone with ambigious genetalia, some male/some female). Would they be allowed to? Because there is nothing harmful in the way their body is different, it just doesnt fit what people believe it should be.
    Thank you

Also in regards to intersex people, I think (but don't quote me on this) they reconstruct the genitalia to resemble those that the parents were told. Unfortunately this isn't always the right idea and some intersex people end up being trans as a result. In all honesty the body should probably be left to develop as it would naturally then see if any medical intervention is needed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ivybridge)
    No, just ridiculous.
    Getting confused with your own stance there, sunshine...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Getting confused with your own stance there, sunshine...
    No, pal. I made the comment about your argument, didn't I? Work on your literary comprehension.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not even going to pretend I'm oh-so-wise about this. I feel like transphobia is something that's killing so many people out there who are told that they're not normal and should be treated as they're mentally ill. I have never had anything against transsexuality, and I doubt this will change. I'm going to show you an an example of one out of many suicides from transexual/transgender teenagers. (You might say it happened because of her 'mental illness', but I believe it was the hate and intolerance towards who she was)

>

Food for thought:
    "An additional, handwritten suicide note reading "I've had enough" was found on her bed, but then thrown away by Alcorn's mother after police made a copy.[16]In the early morning of December 28, police informed news sources that she had been walking southbound on Interstate 71 near Union Township when she was struck by a semi-trailer just before 2:30 am near the South Lebanon exit.[21] She died at the scene. It is believed that Alcorn walked three to four miles from her parents' house in nearby Kings Mills, Ohio, before being struck. According to her suicide note, Alcorn had felt "like a girl trapped in a boy's body" since she was four, and came to identify as a transgender girl from the age of fourteen, when she became aware of the term.Carla Alcorn (mother) responded to criticism in an interview with CNN, stating "we loved him unconditionally. We loved him no matter what. I loved my son. People need to know that I loved him. He was a good kid, a good boy."" Leelah Alcorn 1997-2014,

ReputationRep:
    No, pal. I made the comment about your argument, didn't I? Work on your literary comprehension.
    Yeah yeah, whatever... you make personal attacks but offer no argument with any substance of your own.
    Weak sauce.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Yeah yeah, whatever... you make personal attacks but offer no argument with any substance of your own.
    Weak sauce.
    Nah, I have already done that. Your argument was 'because in my world' lmfao, don't even try and be critical of anyone else's.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I have already done that. Your argument was 'because in my world' lmfao, don't even try and be critical of anyone else's.
    In response to the drivel you were scribing about "gender roles" Maybe you aught to drag yourself out of the cave and into 2016...

ReputationRep:
    No idea. I'm not trying to be a shrink. But transexuality is definitely not terrorism. No danger.

Posted from TSR Mobile

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.